why can't a firewall block all the connection of a program?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mantra, Jun 20, 2018.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i have tried several firewalls , but i can't understand why can't a firewall block all the outgoing connections of a program

a classic example ,it's a program that calls home and the only way to block this program is edit the host file

is there a program that can detect such programs that could be blocked only editing the host file

thanks

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

This makes no sense. If you are blocking all outbound connections to the program, then this should work.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i agree ,but i wanted to block a program with the firewall ,but it's still call homes
    i added some line in the host , i was able to block it at 100%
    i was just a test
    is there a program that let me find out what domain add in the host?
    NetworkTrafficView or HTTPNetworkSniffer
    thanks

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

those are?
    which rules?
    never heard of such issues, seems that problem sits in front in a chair - several CANT fail this way.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Maybe it's attempting to call home, but the firewall is still likely blocking its outbound connection attempts. Any reputable software firewall or Windows firewall set to block all outbound attempts by default should block any application from establishing a remote network connection. You may have to ensure the application in question isn't in the firewall's allowed list.

You could try Sysinternal's TCPView to see if the application really does establish an endpoint connection remotely.

-https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    the clasic example it's photoshop cc or lightroom cc (i pay the subscription for them) , you can block via firewall , but the still comunicate..
    if you block them via host files , they stops to comunicate for example to
    Code:
    activate.adobe.com
    thanks

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

How do you know that they still communicate with their servers? What are indications?
    Did you block appropriate process from accessing internet?

8. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

I think this is the answer.
    These programs use a special process for licensing purposes, they purposely don't make it obvious which process is doing the check.

9. guest

guest Guest

Why would you do that, you never update them ?

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    well no , i updated them
    it was just an example , that's all
    but can you tell me why do they bypass the fireall?
    and how can i monitor these programs ?
    thanks

11. guest

guest Guest

1- What firewall?
    2- many possible reasons:
    - the application is whitelisted, the application uses a Windows process, etc...

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i have tried on a virtual machine outpost (i know it's outdated ,comodo ,spyshelter Firewall and the eset firewall
    but in all cases these program bypass the firewall and they are not in the whitelist
    is there a tool that let me track such programs?
    thanks

13. guest

guest Guest

any network monitor. TCPview, Process Hacker, Comodo Killswitch, etc...

btw, what program is connecting out?

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but i mean maybe a program that can use a filter so i can narrow to specific programs , i can't create a filter in TCPview and process hacker

another program is syncbackpro v8.5

i'm not concering about them because i payed/bought them , but other software?
    i would like to run in a virtual machine , and find a tool to log them
    thanks

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

that line in hosts is "strange" for used software. same for syncback - it has reasons to connect to home server. if you dont like it - uninstall. im out.

16. askmark

askmark Registered Member

To identify which programs are connecting out I would use something Simple Wall Firewall (https://www.henrypp.org/product/simple wall)
    It's free and doesn't require installation, just Admin rights.
    if you set it to Whitelist mode it will not allow anything to connect out until you give it permission to do so. Simply start your Adobe app and then wait for the notification popup window to appear with details of the Adobe related application that wants Internet access.

If it's not obvious from the popups which application is trying to connect to activation.adobe.com, you could make identification easier by creating a hosts entry for that host name with a made up ip address. E.g
    Code:
    99.99.99.99 activation.adobe.com 
    Then when you see a firewall notification popup with a destination ip address of 99.99.99.99 you know you have the right application.
    Hope this helps.

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

@Brummelchen
    yes i know , there is a reason , the program need to connect to check if it's legit
    i bought it and there is nothing in my host file , and set the firewall to allow everything for syncbackpro

the point is another, my question is why did & do not my firewall block them?
    i'm worried for other programs , i have few program installed (all legit) and many freeware (some of them are portable) , about them how can i use what are doing ?

@askmark
    hi
    but does simple wall firewall catch such program?
    do you know why doesn't spyshelter Firewall/eset firewall catch such request ?
    thanks

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

By default, ESET's firewall as with most firewalls these days, will automatically allow, many trusted connections. However, you can configure its firewall to run in Interactive Mode, if you want to be alerted for every single connection.
    https://support.eset.com/kb3190/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

19. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Simplefirewall should block this if will work in "Allow whitelisted" mode. What about SpyShelter? - its reaction depends on established level of protection and by this of way of using huge own builtin base od trusted publishers/vendors. Such list is not visible and accesible for user...user can create own list of trusted (command in "Settings"). In your case Adobe perhaps is marked as trusted so some actions aren't monitored including creating connection/port listening. If you try to set level on "ask user" probably you'll get an alert.

20. co22

co22 Registered Member

try Simplefirewall or netpeeker(i think this is what you want)
    SpyShelter firewall dont catch services yet.

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi @co22
    in short only simplefirewall & netpeeker can catch them can't them?
    all the other firewall fails, i mean can't catch services
    for simplefirewall do you mean simplewall ?
    have you find freeware programs that uses windows service to send data?
    thank you so much appreciate it a lot

22. co22

co22 Registered Member

hi @mantra
    yes i mean simplewall.sorry
    netpeeker can catch every connection if its ip then it show it as ip
    if its have url then show url.
    simplewall just ip
    i dont tested all other firewall i just know SpyShelter can not do it right know(maybe get fixed)
    but for sure simplewall & netpeeker can catch anything and popup for every connection
    find an older version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit then let it check for update
    SpyShelter cant get connection and prompt you

23. itman

itman Registered Member

Both the Windows and Eset firewall will allow rule creation for individual services.

24. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

WFC could do this outbound blocking very well as a free tool.The loging feature will also help you.There may be a window of oportunity for some .exe to call home during the boot process though , you should turn off DNS cache in this case.
    You can also use and tweak Jetico Firewall 2 free with W7 and XP.

25. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You should use LiveTcpUdpWatch, it logs all the traffic, unlike TCPView or ProcessHacker, which log only established connections.
    Code:
    https://nirsoft.net/utils/live_tcp_udp_watch.html
    If you use DNS Cache, then all DNS requests are allowed (since svchost.exe is) and some software consider DNS as a successful connection.

In case, thst the process hijacks other processes to connect, then you have to use Zone Alarm or Comodo, which have HIPS capabilities and able to catch parent processes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.