Why ask for the date in explore image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bill999, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill999

bill999 Registered Member

Why go through what appears to be an unnecessary step in the Explore Image option. The program asks you to select which back up file to use and then asks you which date from a list of dates from the backups. Why can't the program simply determine the date from the file that was selected in the previous step. Seems to be a duplication of effort.

In order to restore a file one requires to know on what day(s) the file would of been backed up on or am I missing something? Other backup applications that I have used in the past would allow you to select a file to restore and present you with a list of dates on which that file was backed up.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Think of incremental images. Could it be that it enables you to explore an image of a backup (you may have more than one backup/incremental set) as it was on the day a particular incremental of it was created?

Regards

3. Zintar

Zintar Guest

If I understand you correctly, this sounds like a feature. ie Imagine that you have a base backup and frequent incrementals. At some point you realize that a file has been damaged (user error, virus, program bug, disk failure... whatever.)

So you mount your latest backup and ooops - it was damaged in that one too.

So, naturally you want to look at the file as backed up in the previous incremental. And maybe the one before that...

4. bill999

I in fact do have one day with multiple incremental backups for Dec 22nd. Selecting one of those incremental backup files BUT on the following screen choosing Dec 20th as the date produces a list of files (which are from my browser's cache) whose date stamp are all Dec 20th NOT Dec 22nd. It appears that it does not matter which particular file (either the full backup or the incrementals) in the set that one selects on the first screen as the date selection window is what selects which file gets mounted as a drive letter.

Also on the Image Archive Exploring window why is this window resizable? If one does resize it the "pidgeon holes" that show the partition letters in the backup are not resized but remain their narrow size.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  5. Zintar

Zintar Guest

Yes, I believe TI never really cares which file of a set (of spanned images or incrementals) that you click on. As long as they're in the same directory, it links them all together.

6. bill999

The documentation could do with a update indicating this. As well it would be nice if the software was a bit more file centric so that if one is looking to restore a file that you do not have to go through the process of mounting each image file in the backup and traversing through them to see if the file in question had been backed up in that image file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.