Why are they written in delphi?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by CoumbraviA, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoumbraviA

CoumbraviA Guest

I've been analyzing a couple of viruses and trojans with PEID and noticed that they all were written in Delphi. Why is that? Why not in C or C++? I find that very strange... I'm not a very good programmer. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I was just wondering:)

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

why not in delphi?
    its a powerful language

analyze a couple of viruses more and you're likely to find them written in c, c++, c#, vb... whatever
    you just happened to stumble upon some delphi viruses, thats all

3. r3l4x

r3l4x Registered Member

why only C/C++? :)

If you think, there are a lot of programming languages that can be used to write a virus. Right, C/C++ are the most powerful languages, but they are difficult to learn too and, as you know, in the world there are a lot of novice virus writers that try to write a virus.
    Why some time ago there were a lot of virus written in batch language? Because it was the faster way to write a virus - batch language was relatively simply.

And so on...every programming language can be used to write a virus ;)

Regards :)

4. SvS

SvS Security Expert

You're not the only one wondering about this fact. Probably this is for same reason why a lot of shareware/freeware is written in Delphi. The primary reason may be that the language is easy to learn (Pascal/Object Pascal usually is the programming language of choice for starter courses in programming), in addition the entry level edition of the IDE is available for free (and the more "professional" additions are still affordable). There are more free components and code snippets available for Delphi than for any other language so you may get results very fast.

5. jani_B_gud

jani_B_gud Guest

Actually, there are more code snippets written in vb than any other language.

6. SvS

SvS Security Expert

I'm under the impression that this has changed after VB has become a "CLR only" language. Anyway for viruses and Trojans VB always had a serious disadvantage (which early versions of Delphi shared), the runtime library can not be statically linked and chances are high that the executable won't run because of a missing msvbm*.dll or a wrong version of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.