Why Acronis?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bimbobo, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bimbobo

bimbobo Registered Member

Hi,
    I tried Acronis some weeks ago, now I have Vista Ultimate and it has its own backup feature.

I really wanna know wy I should invest in TI instead of Vista?

Mine is not a polemical question. So no "offense" to TI, which is a great software.
    I just need to backup and restore, no extra features, incremental backups and so on.

I wanna take an image as soon as Vista is installed and updated, and then restore, when I need to reformat.

Thanks in advance

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

If you cannot load Vista for some reason, then without Acronis TI, then you cannot use the Vista backup feature and will need to reinstall Vista.

If your HDD fails and you buy a new HDD, then without Acronis TI, you would have to start again.

3. mustang

mustang Developer

The backup feature in Vista Ultimate will work fine for you. I haven't used it for a long time so I don't remember all its limitations. For backups and restores of a simple non dual boot system it works great. Upon HDD failure you just boot from the Vista DVD and restore your system to a new drive.

4. bimbobo

bimbobo Registered Member

Thanks for both answer...

I was thinking to save image on an external drive. (Lan, Sata).
    Now I know Vista's back up is usable.

Regards

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Before deciding that the Vista backup is all you need, try to make two separate backup images. If you can do that successfully without the second image overwriting the first one, then you are good to go.

It was this problem that convinced me to stay with Acronis.

Also, be sure you have a DVD to boot your system that will run the Vista restore program. There is no feature to create a bootable disk to use for a restore.

6. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Before you decide to stay with mustang's comments, I would think a lot more deeply about this. mustang did not tell you the whole story, and if you only rely on Vista backup and not use Acronis, then one day you will learn exactly why you should not have relied only on Vista backup.

If Vista backup was all we needed, then I, and thousands of others would not buy Acronis Trueimage. But seeing we have bought it, doesn't that tell you something? :)

7. janger

janger Registered Member

I really don't understand this either. I've been using TI over the last few years only for the basic backup features, but the last versions have something to answer for. Honestly, I think "Image for Windows" by Terabyte is more up our alley. Simple, no hassle and reliable.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Both the windows built-in program and Acronis are things you can try. If you have Vista and tis back-up program. Why not try it and see if it satisfies your needs. It only costs a little time. Windows built-ins are always stripped down, bare-bones kinds of tools, for some folks for some task, that's all that's needed. If you think you might be missing out on something by sticking with the windows program, then consider that some of the additional features that you would get if you bought ATI11 might not work on your hardware setup, so definitiely try ATI11 before you buy it.

And never let an ad hominem argument along the lines that a bunch of other folks bought something be serve as justification for buying something. That's how Peopllesoft and SAP became so popular yet be absurdly difficult for so many folks to use ;-)

9. jmk94903

I mentioned a couple of reasons why I don't like the Vista backup.

I'd like to hear what problems you have found with it to add to my list.

10. wildcargo

wildcargo Registered Member

Another good reason to stay with Acronis is if you have a problem and you need support and call the only number i can find 781-222-0890. Will you get a call back.. I am still waiting 3 weeks... and the support by email is even better,, after 2 weeks i get a generic msg back. Cool Beans.. I pray to Jesus Christ that Osama bin Laden has a support problem with Acronis and they dont get back to him, he might be able to get them to listen

11. jmk94903

Very irritating to say the least. Tech Support is expensive, so a cost cutter is to minimize support.

That explains why this forum is so popular with people with True Image problems. Fortunately, quite a few get their problems solved here quickly.

Did you start a thread for your problem while waiting for a return call or email? :)

12. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

"Truthseeker" is right + Acronis is supposed to be faster for restores than Vista Ultimate too.:D

13. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.