Whose running HitmanPro Alert, Chrome and Sandboxie together?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Page42, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Been running fine here for me. In fact with the last SBIE beta, it hasn't been smoother.

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Peter2150,
    Are you running with Sandboxie compatibility for HMPA +.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes, I just haven't bothered trying to turn it off as everything is working fine.

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Same here....

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What browser do you run, bjm?

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Your suggestion worked perfectly, Bo. TY

7. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Firefox 40.0.3
    I've looked at Compatibility+ thinking maybe I'll un-tic and then I think how will I notice one way or the other. :confused: I know Bo suggests Compatibility+ may be a ding. But, Alert is fairly new. Not like NIS/NAV/N360 Compatibility that's been there for 7 years.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Bo only suggested unchecking it because he knew I had issues with it enabled. If it's working fine for you and Pete with the compatibility feature in place, by all means, you've achieved the goal, stick with it, right? :thumb:

Remember, too, this thread specifies Chrome. Maybe there are no issues with FF, SB and HMPA.

9. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Point taken. I thought Bo's comment was a generalization. That if you can get by without Compatibility+ then that's preferred by Sandboxie. As if, Compatibility+ is a consideration not necessarily a best practice.
    Maybe, I have an erroneous interpretation. Thanks

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I don't think your interpretation is erroneous at all. I recall having recently seen Bo post that the compatibility settings weakened SB, or words to that effect. So I think you have it right, bjm.
    You could always try deselecting it and see how your system responds, right?
    Thanks for the clarification, that is, thanks for helping me see your point. :thumb:

11. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I am curious as to why you don't mention that ESET is in the mix as well. How do you know that ESET is not messing with the compatibility of these programs with each other?

12. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thats what I do with most compatibility settings that I get. I don't get many since I avoid programs that are known to conflict with SBIE and don't use any other security software but I think, If a program works just fine without ticking the compatibility settings for that program, its better to leave those settings off.

Page, in your particular case, and for Focus also, those settings create problem. For you, this settings are not good. Not requiring the compatibility settings for HMPA to be ticked, tells me that now, HMPA and SBIE are getting along better than before.

Bo

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Ah, good that we fleshed this out. I have 6 items in Compatibility and HMPA is the only one of consequence.
    Well, mustering up all my courage. :isay: I've removed +.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I mentioned ESET and exclusions.
    How do I know the problem is not ESET? I don't.
    In the form of testing that I am capable of doing, I base my conclusions upon a stable system becoming unstable when something else is introduced.
    Beyond that, it's a matter of how in-depth can I go, or do I want to go. And the answer to both is 'not very'.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Late last night I discovered that HMPA was protecting lots of applications, but not Chrome or Foxit Reader. Amazing that it took me a couple of days to realize that.

I decided to use SB compatibility settings in each individual sandbox for Chrome and Foxit (Chrome Sandbox\Sandbox Settings\Application\Security/Privacy\Hitman Pro Alert) but I did not select HMPA compatibility option in the main console (Sandboxie Control\Configure\Software Compatibility\Hitman Pro Alert). This is what is now working well for me.

Both of those applications are now protected by HMPA and I have no stability issues. The compatibility setting in the SB main console remains unticked.

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hmm, I had to review Settings. All Applications was not + and Software Compatibility was not +.
    So, I just realized that hmpalert template is no longer in Full Access. I added HitmanProAlert back to All Applications. Now, I have Full Access hmpalert template back and Software Compatibility for HitmanProAlert remains not +. Maybe removing Software Compatibility + reflects back on All Applications.
    I want hmpalert template and I'll see how we do wo Compatibility +.
    Admitting, I have no idea what Compatibility + does to the equation beyond the hmpalert template.
    Admitting, I had no idea removing Compatibility + might reflect back to All Applications.
    Admitting, I had no notion that All Applications + sets hmpalert template.
    From clean sandbox. I've Reload Configuration 2x's and re-checked Settings.
    My head hurts :argh:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  17. bo elam

Hi bjm. Maybe this helps. If you tick a setting in the Software compatibility window, the setting is applied globally to all sandboxes and its reflected in the All applications Window with a minus sign. If you don't tick the setting there but tick it in the All applications window in Sandbox settings, the setting only applies to that particular sandbox and it displays a plus sign..

Bo

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hmm, well... I added HitmanProAlert to All Applications + in my Firefox sandbox. Then I checked my Internet Explorer sandbox and found the +. So, I did not look further. Upon further explore after reading #42. I do not find + in my Chrome sandbox, do not find + in my etc., etc. sandbox. Hmm.

But, I needed to add + to All Applications in my Firefox sandbox to render hmpalert template in Full Access. Now, after reading #42 ....I'll scrutinize Full Access in all sandbox's.

If Compatibility + adds hmpalert template globally vs me adding hmpalert template per sandbox. What the H' is the difference.

Are you broaching that if I feel no ill effect wo hmpalert template. I should run wo template. Seems, I removed global Compatibility but, then added back Compatibility per sandbox. Are Compatibility and template one in the same. When a template comes in to being like hmpalert. Is template to enhance or to mitigate. In the grand scheme do I want templates as an enhancement or do I not want templates as a negative consideration.

How do I know why hmpalert template was offered in the first place via Sandboxie config vs. for example NVT ERP Full Access that I added by NVT advice. Maybe I don't need NVT Full Access string.
    HMPA is basically passive. How do I feel sans template ill effect wo a trigger event.
    ERP is basically passive once trained. How do I feel sans template ill effect wo a trigger event.
    Running wo template / Compatibility may be okay or may not be okay.
    Funny, I've always sensed "template" / Compatibility as an enhancement.
    Until reading your comments.

Is there a difference between hmpalert template added by Sandboxie vs NVT ERP added by me. As I recall. I added hmpalert to Full Access before Sandboxie did. That's why I sense template as an enhancement. Otherwise why would Sandboxie add it to config.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  19. bo elam

Bjm, I think you should do as Page suggest. If HMPA is working fine along SBIE with the settings in place, leave them on.

Bo

20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, by settings. You mean Compatibility+ or All Applications.

Is there a difference between Global Compatibility+ and Template per sandbox.

21. bo elam

Yes, settings in Software compatibility and All applications are the same. The difference is that when you tick them in Software compatibility, they are applied to all sandboxes. Thats the only difference.

About this settings weakening Sandboxie. Read the explanation in the Full access Window in sandbox settings. Its clear what it says. Every time you allow something, you are opening a tiny hole in SBIE. The more holes you open, the more SBIE gets weakened. So, try to open as few as possible.

Bjm, I am not familiar with HMPA. I do not know if HMPA is doing its thing with or without the settings in place when programs run in the sandbox. That is something you guys that are using the program should be able to tell.

Bo

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, for me. Firefox is happier with Compatibility+.
    You carry the weighted burden of GURU status. Initiates and neophytes beg your sage wisdom.
    We can be real pains in the arse. ;)

23. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Loaded HMP.A today and this time followed Bo's advice about not checking the compatability setting. So far not seeing the problems from before. I am still running Sbxie 4.20 since some people seemed to be having problems with 5. I'll let you know if anything changes when I move to 5.

-Update on trying to get HMP.A, Sandboxie and Chrome to run together on my W7 x64 machine: even after following Bo's suggestion I began having the same problems with particular sites not loading. So I updated Sbxie from 4.20 to 5.01.8, added the \Device\NamedPipe\hmpalert line as before, and checked the software compatibility box in Sbxie. So far all sites are loading.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.