Whoo Hooo!!! Vista Rocks!!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

To All you doubters,and sceptical non believers :cautious: This Vista operating System Totally ROCKS!!! :cool: I purchased it on Wednesday, (Vista Ultimate) $745 :blink: but its worth every single Dollar in my book, there are countless things you can do with it, too many to mention in detail, Just read up on it and you will see :D My System is 70% faster, and most of my software and hardware are compatible, those that are not, are easily fixed with Driver updates from the Manufactureres websites. Ive not put Windows Vista Firewall through its paces yet, but it seems reliable enough to do the job it was intended for, as for Windows Defender, I turned it off, and Installed Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.3 Along with NOD32 (no conflicts at all). The Media Center, is a little confusing at first hand, but with the ability to connect external TV's PS2 & 3 along with XBox and Wii DVD Players, recorders, all kinds of Media Hardware. Most of the task running in Task Manager are using ridiculously low ammounts of CUP, the once resource hog Spy Sweeper is runing at 1,789k and NOD at 1,349k there is only 1 instance of each running application, this greatly reduces, resource usage there are 51 processes running on my pc as I type this,and my cpu usage is 2% :ninja:
    I'm loving this, its pure bliss having a system running at peak performance Vista can only get better :D :cool: :ninja:

2. tansu

tansu Registered Member

A friend gave me as a present the same Vista ultimate, is it really $745?
    Because I turned back to my ubuntu, I did not like it..

3. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

I can't think of anything that my current set up is incapable of doing that Vista will do. What does it do for you that you were unable to do with XP and applications on XP?

Phasechange :ninja:

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Enjoy your new toy! In the meanwhile, I'll invest the 745 dollars in buying extra hard disks, rams and whatnot to boost my communist operating systems.

BTW, REAL test for operating system:

Network interoperability, sharing of resources.
    Can the firewall sustain 500-1000 connections without dropping packets?
    How long can it run before it becomes sluggish and you need a restart?
    What about compilation of code?
    What about numerical computation software? How fast does it work? What is the utilization of CPU and memory when performing 3D, computation and similar intensive processes.
    Visit a few CWS sites with the glorious IE, tell us how you feel.
    What did you get for the money? Office? Burning software? Photo-editing studio? PDF reading / distilling software? What audio / video formats can you display by default without extra codecs?
    Can you run P2P software / servers, how well and how smoothly?
    How do backup / imaging / defragmentation / partition feature?
    How well can you recover from a botched installation / system failure?
    What about the interoperability with other boot loaders / other operating systems?
    What do you do if there are NO drivers for your hardware? What would you do then?

Mrk

P.S. The fact your XP installation was slow does not mean Vista is faster... It means your setup was not properly configured... Otherwise, you would not need the extra specs just to run Vista, would you now?

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

The reviews have already started rolling in and I have spent a good part of my time reading many. As always, they are mixed. Pretty much seemingly split almost down the middle.

6. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I think it's a Remote Administration Tool (RAT), an i don't like rats, it's a bit expensive too, for a trojan, for that money i can buy quit a computer and put a real OS on it for free.

Lamehand

7. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Hi-ho, I reckon beyond pure application and security is simple enjoyment.

If someone is satisfied with application & security, then I don't see what's to be gained from knocking the enjoyment they get from their user experience - after all, if he says he's happy then that's it .... why would you want to convince him he shouldn't be ?

As to resources - there is always someone who uses less code or more code to achieve their needs and fulfill their philosophy of computing.
    Here Going Hardcore: Non-GUI Systems KDE and Gnome are described as 'using system resources like popcorn' .....

I note amongst the positives from DVD+R's post that Windows Defender is definitely removable able to be turned off, that'll please a lot of people..... we need to encourage the early adopters to feed all this information into the system, not knock 'em everytime they post.

If linux can take advantage of it's tighter code to gain a larger user base, then great - still not a reason to knock the other fellow for taking pleasure in his system

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  8. Lamehand

It's not my intention to knock his pleasure in his system, i am merely stating what i think of vista, not him, and if he want's to play with this system, so be it, it's his choice.

Lamehand

9. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

At $745.00 I can definitely make a better use of my money.:D

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I guessed as much, the smart asses, among the shrewd :cautious: Drivers? of Course theres Drivers, and further more wasnt this the same thing when XP was released ? some software not working on XP that would work on 98SE and Millennium ?? Yeh Same Old topic, so get real with that one, Oh and didnt they have to release SP1 & SP2 also o_O Yes to that as well, Nobody said it was perfect, and nobody said you had to try it either. Untill you do, then Silence is the preferable option.

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I asked if there is NO driver available to download, what do you do?
    Mrk

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would like to know how long you can run your pc for before it slows down to much and needs a reboot?
    i doubt it runs 70percent faster.
    how long did you have xp installed since last install?
    1year?
    2 years?
    becasue if its like 2years even a fresh xp install would of given you some of that.
    btw did you look at the new services tab in task manager?
    if not look at that and see if the missing second processes are listed under there and still using alot of ram?
    spysweeper.exe is a service in xp and it should be in vista as well so could be under the services tab rather than the processes tab.
    this would be nice to know if the services for nod32 and spysweeper aree unde the services tab instead?

i have tryed vista and dont like it.
    my lecurer was showing use the new proformance monitor in windows vista and i wanted to scream process explorer!
    but i didnt lol
    lodore

13. eyes-open

Hi Lamehand :)

I accept that's the intention - maybe I'm in a difficult mood, maybe the whole negative stuff has hit a raw nerve, maybe I'm dancing with semantics, I don't know - but it's not how it plays to me.

Somebody posts, offering facts and figures (I take them as face value as I can't compare them) stating that based on first hand experience their system range & performance is increased as a result of changing to Vista.

When replies include suggestions that his choice is that of a toy or RAT/trojan that isn't a real OS .... I see those terms as being pejorative, with no other intrinsic value than being to make someone with Vista feel that their choice is somehow a lesser one - as opposed to a different one.

The point here is the word 'feel' - make them 'feel' they have less.

Where are the facts & figures that lift the language above that of the simply disparaging ? Do you say he hasn't enjoyed the increase in performance that is claimed .... if so where are the accompanying arguments ? If you accept that the increase in gains is present for this individual on their system - how will you quantify worth/value, particularly in an OS that is likely to span many years..... ?

I'm all for the linux guides like those posted by Mrk , anyone that posts promoting choice is good with me. I just don't see that has to include knocking the other fella, when he wants to post something positive about an experience he's having.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

P.S. The fact your XP installation was slow does not mean Vista is faster... It means your setup was not properly configured... Otherwise, you would not need the extra specs just to run Vista, would you now?[/QUOTE]

or it could be that the pc hasnt been formated for ages and was showing its age.
    but $756 omg
    i could get AMD 3800 dual core based pc for that price and install something like mandriva power user on it.
    or even a free linux distro and be better off for it.
    if you want to waste money on vista go ahead but its not worth the cash.

i still want my post above answered please.
    i want to know if the ram that was used in xp for spysweeper and nod32 is the services for them in the service tab in task manager.
    because as noted above spysweeper does use a service and it probaly using the same amount of ram as in xp but in the services tab so its knida hidden to the user.
    lodore

15. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

$756 !!!

Your paying a lot for a few more features than XP (in terms of overall functionality).

16. Lamehand

I can assure you, again, that it is not my intention to make someone feel inferior about his/her choice, my remarks where solely aimed at vista, nothing more, nothing less, if i made the impression it was my intention to hurt his/her feelings, i am sorry for that.

My comment, as you may have seen, is not aimed at what it can do or how fast it is but more the things it does behind your back and the control you have over it, those are for me the important items in any OS, be it Linux or Windows or whatever there is out there.
    It is not important how fast, or what it's capable of, if you don't have the control over it, it's like paying money, and lots of it as i see those prices, to lock yourself in. And that's in my humble, yet firm opinion not a good thing.

Lamehand

17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yeah, that is right. Finally someone, who also appreciates Microsoft's hard work. [​IMG]
    I wonder, if you have 64-bit version, where Patchguard is active, unlike in mine 32-bit.
    About different reviews: Vista is supposed to be installed and tested on the highend PCs.

About the price: someone spends about 100$ per year for a firewall, an AV, and so on.
    Windows is one time paid off, so 750$ is like 150$ per year till next Windows will be out.
    Windows does much more work than just one software, so in this term, it is quite cheap.

Though I would rather buy a new computer with Linux than spending all those money on OS.
    On the other hand, if I had some spare money to waste, I would not hesitate to buy it at once.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

DVD+R: well, it's your money. If you're happy, that's the important thing.

Vista has some things worth mentioning, one of them is speech recognition. That's an expected improvement, but a good one nonetheless. Hope it can be developed so blind people can use a computer some day.:thumb: We forget these things too often.

I'd like to see a program like this for Linux. Maybe there is, since there are for Windows. But a program that allows one to use the computer by voice, and read text out loud. The ones that exist don't seem mature enough, though i must say, it could be one of the hardest things to program these days.

Also, Directx10 seems good from what i hear, it was totally redesigned. But in this point, i really can't tell if it's horse s*** or a fantastic improvement. Only what i hear.

On the other features, Vista seems to integrate all those programs and functions that you can have in XP. Just have to look for them, or ask.
    The UAC seems to be an attempt to emulate what Linux has. No i'm not talking about architecture, just the "user account management system" (or whatever).

3D doesn't seem to exist, correct me if i'm wrong. It's just the ALT-Tab.

Trust is another issue, for another topic...

19. eyes-open

Hi Lamehand :)

absolutely no suggestion that you intentionally set out to, or indeed did, hurt anybody's feelings - as I said, it may just be that I'm having a bad day and am being overly picky ...

Happy surfing :thumb:
    e-o

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

lodore, the service section is the same as run/services.msc or run/msconfig/services but its been added to the task manager window for easier accessability, but the Answer is NO! the cpu usage of these 2 apps Spy Sweeper & NOD are vastly reduced, I can run (in fact Ive been online/ on the computer All Day 12 hours,and no reboot, and no slow down. IE7 is considerably faster also at browsing ,web pages up in 1/2 second :blink: Maybe it because I'm running a 4GB RAM Machine, but nevertheless, its a kick ass OS. The only stumbling block I have encountered is HP have no Vista Drivers to date, not even a BETA Driver, thats shoddy work from the people at HP, but I can use my fax to scan print etc.. so I'm not in too much a rush.

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

SuperFetch
    The only performance feature available only in Vista.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

superfleth seems a bit like
    Diskeeper's I-FAAST™ 2.0 (Intelligent File Access Acceleration Sequencing Technology)was specifically developed to accelerate the speed of your systems file access time in order to meet the heavy workloads of file-intensive applications. I-FAAST intelligently monitors file usage, and reorganizes those files that are used most for the fastest possible access. Users of applications such as CAD/CAM, database applications, and graphic and video intense applications will experience an astonishing increase in speed and response.
    well sounds the same sort of thing but completely different.
    lodore

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

SuperFetch is a disk caching algorithm (it reduces the use of the swap file). Because of this, it needs a great amount of RAM to work properly.

24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

my exact thoughts. we need more Vista users to post positive comments.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, what are ur system specifications?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.