Who knows JAVA?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I had been having problems with Yahoo Games and was told to get the latest Java. I have downloaded jre 1.5.0_06 which is supposed to be the latest per the java web site. Then I see a post on one of the forums about 9 which they say is the latest. What version is supposed to be used?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. WilliamP

Ron I went to the web site and wound up at the version I have.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. WilliamP

It wasn't hard. When I clicked on Java for my browser it takes you to the one I have.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No offense intended William. Does the second link lead you to the version you want? Looks like the second link times out. The version you want is at the first link. I downloaded it and it is version _09.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Please read my message post on message number 16 regarding the Java program version. Java.com has a link to the 1.5.06 version ONLY. The official Sun Microsystems website is at Java.sun.com which contains ALL of the program versions and release notes.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=145516

8. WilliamP

Certainly not offended by any one. I just don't know what version of Java that is best for me to download. The only time it seems to be of any problem is when my wife plays Spades on Yahoo Games in FireFox. Yahoo Games doesn't like FireFox in the first place. She likes FF because she says that it is faster than IE.

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

You would have to know what updates were made to each version to determine which version will affect your Yahoo game. Each update version has a version history summary of what changes were made. I think you should ask the creator of the Yahoo game which version of Java was used to develop it. Then you will would know which version at least meets the java code used by the program. Some programs work better with one browser versus another. Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer were created using a totally different framework. So some websites and programs may not run properly with one particular browser.

10. WilliamP

This Java situation is real confusing. Right now I have jre 1.5.0_06 and it is working pretty good so I am going to leave it alone.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

If it works fine, then I would not worry about any update at least for now. I have the 1.5.0_7 version (Java actually changed the version numbering system by dropping the beginning "1" digit from their version history). The release notes list the acutal changes for each update. So the recent changes may not be important for your specific case. However, I had version 1.4.2_4 on my system earlier this year and a trojan program was able to use a flaw in that version to infect my computer. Sun Microsystems did not address and/or admit this flaw for nearly a year until much later this year when they finally admitted it and recommended that PCs get the update ASAP.:thumbd:

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I installed this one, because my on-line banking needs it.

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 5.0 Update 6
    jre-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p.exe and it is still the latest version.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That does appear to be the current version offered on Java.com and Java.net. The Java.Sun.Com site has downloads for updates 7, 8, and 9 of the JRE 1.5 (actually 5.0 now). All of the updates to each version is listed on the Sun website. I do not know if version 6 is considered to be a non-beta version or if they neglected to update the program link on that site. My PC program list shows JRE 1.5.0 Update 7 when I look at the Add/Remove Programs option of the Control Panel.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I just got a prompt to update the Java program and was sent to the Java.Sun.Com site to download the newer version (Java 5.0 Update 9). I have the 1.5.0_7 version and the update box said the newer version has fixes to accelerate Java applications as well as make it more secure.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I killed java until they figure out what they wanna do with themselves.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.