Who is a better actor.

Discussion in 'polls' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 24, 2004.

?

Which is the better actor?

Poll closed Aug 23, 2004.
  1. Lawrence Olivier

43.8%
  2. Tom Hanks

56.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

ROFL Ron... I squirm also :blink: ..... and of course with Dustin Hoffman.

I reckon that scene put back the "trust" of Dentists 20 years like Jaws did to salt water swimming in the 70's. :D :D

TAS

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Olivier hands down.
    ;)

snowbound

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Tom Hanks has my vote though LO is good too
    Rita

4. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Without a doubt it has to be George W.........starred in a recent movie..... amazing... he grabs you from start to finish ;)

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Tom Hanks is so cool! I like one of his films: Castaway

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Sorry Guys......Tom Hanks.....Actor?......Tom Hanks only ever played Tom Hanks....Funny, but not an Actor.....to my mind an Actor is someone who can play a miriad of parts like Sir Alec Guinness.....as in 'Kind Hearts and Coronets, 'Bridge on the River Kwai', 'The Lady Killers'.....now that's acting....and as for Lawrence Olivier...well....absolutely no comparison with any other actor you'd like to mention.....from every character in Shakespeare to the mundane stuff like 'The Black Box' where he just played an English 'Bobby' in a classic British film.......nuff said.......

Cochise, :cool:

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Oh! and whilst we're talking Actors......how dare Tom Hanks assume he could possibly compete with Guinness and have the nerve to attempt a re-make of a film that is a Classic in it's own right and could never, in a million years, be bettered with a re-make.......there are some Films that are 'Just are' and can never be re-made only by mis-guided Actors who are led to believe they are a 'Legend in their own Minds'.......So endeth the first lesson on Films.... :D

8. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Are you insane! I think somebody needs to dust off his DVD player and rent a few movies. Alec Guiness is a great actor no doubt. And you could argue that he was the greatest. But to say that Tom Hanks is not an actor. Insane.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  10. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Difficult comparison.

Lawrence Olivier is mainly known as a stage actor and many consider him the greatest of the 20th century.

Tom Hanks started as a "fluff" comedic actor but has since moved on to be one of the most versatile and personable movie stars in Hollywood.

My favourite Hollywood moviestar ever is Humphrey Bogart. Bogie is an icon.

11. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Aaaahhhh Bogie. An easy choice for me! Sean Connery, Spencer Tracy, etc, etc, are also favorites. Stallone and Swartzenegger would have been great in Silent Movies.

big ed

12. Close_Hauled

I couldn't agree more. Only time will tell. We will have to wait until the end of Tom's career to answer this question.

Olivier’s performances were mesmerizing. Every line is crafted so well. I will never forget his portrayal of Hamlet. In fact, I have my TiVo record it every time it’s on. And every time I watch it, I sit fascinated at how he delivers those lines.

Hanks has matured to almost that level, but he has more range. His portrayal of Capt. John Miller in “Saving Private Ryan” to me is his best. I am not ashamed to admit that I am a blubbering idiot when he dies in the end. And isn’t that what we ask of our actors, to suspend our disbelief until the credits start?

Close Hauled

13. Vaudeville

Vaudeville Registered Member

Out of the poll I would vote for Hanks

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Your right there about Tom Hanks 'Dying' in Saving Private Ryan....He 'Died' from start to finish in what must have been the most boring truncated film ever made...........to my mind, having been in somewhat the same situations, they would all appear to have a 'Gung Ho' Death-wish that no Squaddie in his right mind would have even considered.....sorry to say, the whole film had good intentions but...........?Sorry but poor old Tom only ever plays Tom. Then you get ACTORS like Alec Guinness who play myriad of roles in the same film, like 'Kind Hearts and Coronets' for example..... :D Don't get me wrong, I love Tom, films like the 'Money Pit' etc., Brilliant...but not acting.

15. Close_Hauled

No, they would have stopped at the Nijmegen Bridge and had tea! :mad:

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anybody who has seen Forrest Gump will know that Tom Hanks is an actor.

Period. :cool:

17. Close_Hauled

Please allow me to introduce you to a "Gung Ho" Squaddie:
    Source: http://www.grunts.net/legends/audiemurphy.html

18. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

RIGHT ON Close Hauled......................RIGHT ON.....THAT IS the RIGHT STUFF!!
    Nice you spoke of him.........

19. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Errr!...Steady on guys....I think we where talking films and Actors here...what's Audie Murphy got to do with it?....granted he was the most decorated Soldier and well deserved to be but at the end of the day he did what he had to do, desperate times need desperate action, after his Company fell back Audie became pinned down and couldn't have moved from his position even if he wanted to, that's a life and Death situation and you either die or become a hero, my only point being that his Company didn't jump up and come charging to his rescue just so they might all be shot to bits did they?. Lets not get serious here Friends, remember, ALL films are made with 'Poetic Licence'.

20. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

They did! :D

21. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

~ wipes sweat from brow ~
    Phew, decided to check this thread after about a week and walked into a firefight, LOL....

You want an actor.... ~ he squeaks ~ how about............

"Mr Bean"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ducks and waits for the mortar fire to find his range.

TAS

22. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Tass,

You won't get any 'Incoming' from me mate.............been there, done that...I'm all for the quiet life.....Mr. Bean is OK with me.... :D

23. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

What about DeNiro, Hoffman, Pacino?

It's hard for me to tell about actors a long time ago, they were really limited by the times and the writing. I really like Michael Caine, too. He cracked me up when he finally won the Academy Awards, he said, "If I knew I could have won for such a lousy movie, I would've done it a long time ago." :eek: Or something like that, Sean Penn is good, but, he is so hard to like! Maybe you aren't supposed to! I do love character actors, they just go along in the back ground for decades and you always remember them, even if you don't recall their names! What about Henry Fonda, or Jimmy Stewart, Gene Hackman?
    Will Smith is really growing up and into his roles, he was amazing in "Ali".
    Tassie's right, there are tooo many, and some times the good ones con't try hard enough - and the one's you never suspect- suprise the heck out of you! Actresses, too. (Actresses, not pin-ups, guys!)

Marja:cool:

24. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Well guys,
    I like the war movies we kids watched with our dad. Not so much the new ones, too graphic and not much story.
    I remember especially, Kelly's Heroes, Dirty Dozen, Bridge on the River Kwai, Great Escape, In Harm's Way and movies like that. They were powerful without the body parts flying, which seems to happen in any movie even comedies any more!
    Face it! There is more history than us poor mortals can judge without zeroing out!:) Probably so we will pay attention to what is happening around us!?!

Happy Memory Overhauls!
    Marja9)

25. OutThere

OutThere Guest

Without question, Yul Brenner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.