Who else is using XP SP2 right now? Microsoft is cutting service for it in July.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I will be helping a friend upgrade to SP3 and was wondering what happens if we still have SP2 by the time Microsoft cuts off support. My guess is no more windows updates.

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I am. I'd better get that Win 7 machine up!

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

No prob.

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I plan to stay with SP-2 and forgo any future updates.
    The way I see it, Microsoft has been patching XP since it was introduced and still it remains vulnerable to new threats every day.

Sometimes, I wonder how useful patches and hotfixes really are if you employ a sandbox and run within a virtual machine.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

as useful as patching a sandbox & VM

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Is it possible to run on xp sp2, with no updates? Is is possible to use opera 8x and be safe? Can you actually run on the internet with older programs, with no router, and have a chance to remain problem free?

If everything is "up to date", are you more secure? Or, if you take the time to learn, does that make you more secure? Is the term "secure" quantifiable? Is your version of secure the same as mine? Is your idea of a risk the same as mine?

I have run the gamut of security, tried most every program, every scheme I could find, from elaborate to simple. My conclusion, and not a revelation at all, is that the hands of the user themselves IS the security. It is most unfortunate that there are so many users in the world today that are not armed with the knowledge needed to provide thier own security.

And because of this fact, I recommend everyone I know who are average at best, to stay updated and current. They do need every extra measure possible. However, I don't pay attention to patches/updates on my software of any kind, any more than I do to driver updates. If there is not a very compelling reason to change, I won't. If something forces me to adapt, then I will adapt. And that is the difference between me and everyone that I personally know, except one. Neither he nor I ever have issues, while everyone else does. It is certainly not because thier updated software protected them, but because they don't have knowledge to help themselves.

My advice, if this user does not really understand, update them. It will not put an end to issues forever, but one must employ help when they are helpless.

Sul.

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Who else is using XP SP2 right now?

I am, and after a reinstall last year i felt confident enough with the setup/config i have, that i havn't even bothered installing any updates to it or IE6, and i don't plan to either :p

The way i see it is this,

Less cluttering up your HD

No updates which screw your comp

System is just fine as is

Excellent security etc in place so no need

Never have any malware infections

It's my comp not MS's, i decide what i want and when not them

Never felt the need to "keep up with the joneses"

Probably more reasons than that, but that'll do :D

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I'm running it now and wont be worrying about anything,period.

I've been malware free for years now,and when I decide to upgrade to windows 7,it'll be done,no sooner or later then I want it to be :D

9. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From Microsoft Security Intelligence Report Volume 8:

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

If you use windows xp I dont see any reason not to use SP3. its a minor update. its mostly just all the patches since SP2 came out in one download. I have installed SP3 on tons of clients machines and had no problems at all.

11. pinso

pinso Registered Member

i don't want updates;(its like a landline and a mobile phone(metaphor) here the user is adding additional features and option, which is not required : since the purpose is(mobility) to communicate with someone) ,but i'll switch to sp3 whenever some programs i use starts becoming incompatible with sp2.

Till then its sp2 all the way:

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

This, I think, is probably the only way to get average users to upgrade their systems.

(Hint to web developers: quit whining and crying about IE6, and just drop compatibility for it already.)

13. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I just installed SP3 on my main Win XP box, and everything seems fine -- better, actually. Windows Defender had gotten weird, not completing scans and then not installing definition updates. Now it seems happier.

14. Get

Get Registered Member

"The infection rate for Windows XP with SP3 is less than half of that for SP2"

Half of 0 is...o_O Installed sp3 some time ago (don't know why, I guess some software needed it) and it gave me troubles (don't know which) and I went back to sp2. It runs smooth and I'm never infected, so I will stick with it (maybe try sp3 one time to see what the problem was and then put an image back).

15. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Im Using WINDOWS XP SP2 PRO:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.