Who all is running Firefox 3 ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I see FF3 is in beta 5. Who is running this beta release and have there been any issues? Does it look good to go? Are there any of the standard add-ons that will not work with FF3? What new add-ons are good for FF3 that won't work in FF2?

thanks

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

On computer with XP Home SP2 , I meet some sites that do not open properly with Firefox v3 beta . The flash player still refuses to install automatically . The speed is the same as in Firefox 2

3. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

I have been using Fx v3 beta all along and IMO it is at the stage where it is stable and is working quite well.

As to extensions it depends on which ones you want to use. Noscript, Adblock Plus, Mr. Tech Toolkit are working fine to name a few as well as oters.

There is a new feature in Fx v3beta that will block extensions from being installed if they are not obtained through a secure connection.

You would be best served by visiting MozillaZine and reading up on Fx v3beta and also the Extensions & Themes Forum there to get a better idea of what is working what is not as well as tweaking extensions. Until Fx v3 is Officially Released you may find extension devs not updating their work.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I did give it a run but if I remember right it couldn't open Kelly's XP Tips and Fixes which some users of the beta may want to see if it renders correctly for them.

Also if I went to Bookmarks Tabs Folder - Open all in tabs" is missing or in the wrong place with all the other bookmarks opening instead of the tabbed favourites.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

A few glitches, but speed is definitely improved. Not exactly surfing the web, but opening firefox etc.
    My experience of the beta is not on Windows note.

6. L815

L815 Guest

I use it along with Opera beta on Vista premium x86 with minimal problems.
    Occasionally a few website problems (not as much as opera), and the speed has improved, but the smooth scrolling is far behind Opera's and the address bar history thing is still far behind Opera's.

It still feels a bit sluggish, but it is definitely better from the 2 series :D
    The look is incredibly better on Vista than the first 3 beta XD

7. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

3.0b5 runs by default under the most current release of Ubuntu. It seems somewhat faster rendering pages.

I wish the Firefox developers could change the order javascript and flash appear in the same space in Linux. For example, on the www.dell.com home page, the javascript menus open up underneath the flash ad, not over it so you're unable to read them. This seems like something unique to Firefox on Linux though (not running Firefox under Windows, so I can't compare right now). One of the small inconveniences I run into when using Linux.

8. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Running it on Ubuntu 8.04. So far, so good. Seems stable and a bit faster than the last stable build. One issue is I am missing my Noia extreme skin.

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have been running 3.0 for a couple of months in Vista. Speed while surfing, rendering pages, is definitely faster than 2 (for me at least)
    I have all my 23 extensions works fine, some are updated to be compatible the rest are easily made compatible with Nightly tester tools.
    Add bookmark here extension is the only extension that doesnt work.
    Some odd pages doesnt work, but very rare. One funny thing though is that mozilla exension page doesnt work, I have to open IE to download the xpi to the hard drive and then drop it on Firefox...

10. L815

L815 Guest

I'm dissapointed of the number of themes that support it right now, but what should I expect from a beta.

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've been testing FF3 b5 in OpenGEU for a few days now, no problems at all. There have been a few plugins that don't work, i can't remember which ones off the top of my head tho.

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Incidentally, does Firefox 2 have to be uninstalled before trying out v3 or will it install over?

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox beta 3 should make another folder in Program files and another entry in add/remove programs. You can have both on your computer.

That's the way it worked last time I tried it.

14. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am using it in Ubuntu right now and it seems nice, no issues, it definitely loads quicker than 2, and also appears pretty fast in general. I like it so far... stable enough as well.

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Good info, thanks all. I am on Vista. Any projected release date for FF3 final?

17. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I tried running FF3 portable, worked fine for a while but the lack of extensions was what drove me back to FF2. I know it leaks memory like a sieve but I just restart it once a day and really, the utility if FF lies in the extensions.

18. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

My understanding is RC1 should be released within a couple of weeks and, unless critical issues are subsequently discovered, RC1 *will* become FF3 final. Has anyone heard differently?

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.