which version?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by volvogirl, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volvogirl

volvogirl Registered Member

Hi,

I just uninstalled NOD32 from my old laptop and installed the cd on my new HP VISTA 64 notebook. I just noticed in my initial email there were diff links for diff window versions. But since I installed it from the cd did it pick the right vista 64 instead of 32? How can I tell?

Thanks

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Did it install in c:\program files or c:\program (x86) files

You can also open up task manager or process explorer, egui.exe should be 64bit and ekern.exe should be 32bit

process explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

in process explorer select view\select columns\select process image tab\select image type (64 vs 32-bit)

BTW you can download the latest version and type from here http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

3. volvogirl

It's in the c:program files not (x86). Is that right? What's the x86 for? OK I googled it. x86 is for 32 bit. So it must be the 64bit one!

Also should the windows firewall be on or off? I see in your signature it says Vista 64 Vista Firewall.

Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. GAN

GAN Registered Member

32 bits application will be installed under "C:\Program Files (x86)" and 64 bit applications under "C:\Program Files". So if it's under "C:\Program Files" it's the 64 bit version.

Nod32 is antivirus only so it has nothing to do with any firewall. If you want the Vista firewall to be on or off is up to you, but i assume you want to leave it on unless you got some other firewall installed. It doesn't matter for nod32 if on or off tho.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A 32-bit version won't install on a 64-bit Windows and vice-versa.

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

If you don't have a 3rd party firewall installed, then yes TURN ON your Vista firewall. If you installed Nod32 from the cd then chances are you don't have the latest version. The latest version is 4.0.437 I provided the ESET download page in my first post.

8. volvogirl

Won't NOD32 update to the latest version? I looked at my desktop and it's on 4.0.314. Do I have to do a version update manually? And in the future remember to check here for updates?

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

No it will not. You have to download it and install it. You should be able to install it over your current version instead of uninstalling the old and reinstalling the new. You can check back at the forum and there is a sticky thread at the top of the Nod32 forum that the ESET moderators use to inform us when a new build/version is released. Make sure you download the 64bit version.

10. volvogirl

Thanks again,

I checked out the sticky. I didn't see a link in it to the update. I probably can go find it myself. Or didn't I see it?

edit: I FOUND IT! A little word "here" in the first post. Was easy to miss.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

To answer your initial question, the launcher on the CD checks the operating system and installs the correct software for it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.