Which version of Prevx to pair with F-secure IS & Defensewall

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by bracesandbelt, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bracesandbelt

bracesandbelt Registered Member

I've got F-Secure IS 2011 on my PC, running Vista 32 bit. I'm thinking of adding Defensewall and Prevx. But which version of Prevx do I need to go with please? SafeOnline only, or SafeOnline + RT Malware Proetction + Malware Cleanup? At 1st install of the PC earlier this year I ran an Avira trial, then I think it was straight to FSIS11 trial, then added a Prevx trial after bought FSIS11, and Prevx trial expired last week. So PC has not been "fully protected" continuously since 1st install. I appreciate any advice :) .

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Has your Prevx trial coexisted peacefully with F-Secure IS? There are incompatibilty reports of F-Secure Deepguard alerts saying Prevx wants to modify F-Secure files.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

all of them

4. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Right now I have F-Secure and Prevx running alongside without a problem. Previously I had an issue where F-Secure used to create an extremely big file (850 MB) every time that it performed a full scan. I was under the impresion that it was due to the interaction with Prevx. But this issue has dissapeared now, I guess that a recent F-Secure update has whitelisted Prevx or has changed something that was causing some incompatibility with Prevx.

5. bracesandbelt

Thanks all. I haven't noticed any problems between FSIS11 and Prevx. I'll run a full scan again tomorrow though to check whether this causes problems. PC has been a little sluggish on web past day but this is all since the MS monthly round of 'updates'.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have nod and prevx;) :thumb:

7. bracesandbelt

I've run a full scan but can't find where I can check file sizes. Where should I look please vojta?

8. bracesandbelt

found the log txt file for fsav. was 8.2Mb. so, back to my original question. would safeonline be all i need, or should i go with the RT Malware Proetction + Malware Cleanup also please?

9. vojta

vojta Registered Member

The file that I was talking about is called "hive.db" and is located in a folder named "Anti-Virus" indide the F-Secure installation folder. So it should be something like: C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Anti-Virus\Hive.db.

Normally, it should be around 8MB. If there is some issue it could reach more than 800MB. In this case, try allowing Prevx in F-Secure's firewall.

As for F-Secure+Safe Online or the full Prevx, it's something very personal. SafeOnline could be enough, as it gives you all the banking protection and a second opinion to add to the already excellent F-Secure. The full Prevx also gives you real time blocking that doesn't interfere with F-Secure and guaranteed disinfection.

One thing that is not frequently mentioned about Prevx is the fact that being its scan so fast actually gives you more protection, as you can perform a full scan several times a day, everytime that you log into your mail, online shops, etc.

10. bracesandbelt

Found the hive.db file vojta. Thank you. It is a bit over 56Mb. The full scan itself this morning took something like 2 hours, maybe 3 hours, although the PC at the moment carries very little data, most of that being on an external HDD. Anyway, based on what everyone has written I'll go for the whole package. Re set up, does a hive.db of 56Mb (ie an order of magnitude above what it should be, but an order below what it can get to) suggest I should allow Prevx in the F-Secure firewall please?

11. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Yes, 56MB is like ten times more than normal, try to allow Prevx in the firewall. As for the scanning time in F-Secure, check if you activated "advanced heuristics" in the manual scan section of the configuration page. This is a last resort tool and is not recommended by F-Secure for daily use. It makes the scan process quite slow.

If you notice some slowdown in your system don't hesitate to delete the mentioned oversized "hive.db", it will probably fix this and F-Secure will create a new, thin "hive.db" at startup. You'll need to do it in secure mode though, as it's continuously used by the program.

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Great that it is not conflicting anymore :)
    Yeah that is a nice feature, but the scan used for that feature is the fast scan, full scan scans the whole hard drive so it isn't that fast.(Note that I really mean the Full Scan, the normal scan is call Deep Scan, full scan is available from Tools -> Advanced Scan.)

13. vojta

vojta Registered Member

You are right, I meant the Deep Scan.:)

14. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

When using Prevx with other applications and Prevx finds something, be sure your other apps aren't running when you clean up.. otherwise... :argh:

Hogndog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.