Which version of Outpost Firewall Pro would you install on your new PC?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by concerned807, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concerned807

concerned807 Registered Member

I am finishing up hardware set-up of a new PC running Windows XP SP2. As part of software installation, the first thing I am going to put on the new PC is a decent and pure firewall. I want a pure firewall because I already have extensive multi-layered security programs which have been tried and true.

I have been using Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 2.5.375.374 satisfactorily for the past 18 months. I own a lifetime upgrade license. After reading numerous negative user feedback about the current version 4.0, I became to doubt if version 4 upgrade is a wise choice. Starting with version 3.0, Agnitum has been aggressively combining its firewall with other security features which are normally seen in other stand-alone programs. Such new features as anti-spyware and sandbox in Outpost version 4.0 are received by some users as problematic. And with so-called improved auto-creation of rule preset, Agnitum seems to be trying to turn Outpost into another idiot-proof rigid and ineffective firewall. All of these have got me very much concerned that the latest version of Outpost 4.0 may conflict with my well-running security programs (as stated the above).

On the other hand however, I am also concerned about new intrusion techniques against which my 18-mo old Outpost 2.5 is incompetent in fighting. In the official history of changes, Agnitum does claim that the latest version of Outpost blocks all known leak-tests. I am not sure how well their claim serves me in reality, nevertheless this is the only incentive for me to upgrade.

Right now, I can't just find the right balance and decide - install the last build of Outpost version 2.5, 2.7 (the last version prior to version 3.0), 3.51 or 4.0.
    Please kindly advise. Need some opinions from fellow Outpost users!

Thanks!!!

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I would go with version 4.
    If you don't like the Anti-Spyware and Anti-Leak, you can unload those components.

3. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello concerned807,

Dont believe everything you read. The only true test is to try it for yourself on your system. Im very happy with the latest version of 4.0, which you have no doubt read here and in the Outpost Forums. ;) If you do decide to install it, make a backup copy of your config settings in a separate backup folder. I would recommend a complete clean installation of version 4.0. Since you have asked the same question in the Outpost Forums ill not reply to your posting there. Good luck!

Richie

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The outpost version 2.5.375.374 was listed as being a "Gold" status Firewall, as for leaktests the only test I have encountered that 2.5 will not pass is the pcflank test,but it passes all the others. It still provides a rock solid protection base to your system, and is less consuming of system memory than the Bug filled version 4.0

Read my report here :

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=155496

5. concerned807

Although I have not had tried 2.5 and up and thus did not have the issues you encountered, I feel the way you do. Having a firewall with (new) features that are identical to security programs already installed, logically, will result in conflict.

As some kindly pointed out that Outpost's new features are largely in form of plugins and thus can be disabled. If so then, why bother to upgrade to a version where new features are likely not desired in the first place?:rolleyes:

Agnitum's official history of changes gives me strong impression that they are trying to cover more than a normal firewall is supposed to do. Conservative as I am, I am thinking about...maybe a small upgrade 2.5.375.374 to 2.7.495.417.
    BTW 2.7.495.417 is the last version/build before Agnitum introduced anti-spyware in its version 3.0.

Reading your report now..:)

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

I would seriously recommend you to continue with version:2.5..

Outpost was the best till then,but after that like most security companies who enjoy success, agnitum got confused and continued to add stuff whic sacrificed outpost ease of use and lightness on the pc.

In this version(4.)it takes more ram,gives frequent irritating prompts,and i still don't like AS being added to a firewall.

I fell they will license a AV soon and lose their objective and identity of a firewall Co.

7. concerned807

Man! you made me feel I want to sell my Lifetime license and switch to another altogether. :D Seriously though, I hope my inquiry does not turn into "other firewall" thread. Or do I? :D

8. SKA

SKA Registered Member

concerned807
    >BTW 2.7.495.417 is the last version/build before Agnitum introduced anti-spyware in its version 3.0<
    --
    Do you know where to get this version - please ?
    The one I have is 2.7.493.416 :-(

SKA

9. concerned807

10. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Thanks very much concerned807 for these links

SKA

11. concerned807

I hate name-calling in my life. But I can't help but wonder if Paranoid2000 is reading this thread:p

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Yes, he/she/it is... :)

Simple answer - if you are concerned about malware bypassing your firewall then Outpost 2.5 is far easier to disable than Outpost 4.0 (with Self Protection enabled). Outpost 3.0 disables your network connection if it is terminated and 4.0 prevents changes to its files and registry keys (when Self Protection is on).

There were some very good reasons why Agnitum requested that any testing be done on 4.0 when approached initially by Matousec.

However if you are also running process/registry control software (like SSM or App/RegDefend) then they can be used to provide the same level of protection as you get with 4.0 (once you configure them to monitor Outpost's registry keys).

13. concerned807

Lucky me! Thanks for the pop-up on this one:D

Let me confirm my understanding is correct;)

You kindly suggested...
    With sandbox programs like ProcessGuard (which I use ), OP4's Self Protection, in my case, is extraneous. Summarily the best course of action to stay with my Outpost 2.5.375.374.

There are at least three reasons why I am reluctant to upgrade to Outpost 4.0
    1. Extraneous features in OP4 which have been already covered my multi-layered security programs
    2. Have Agnitum really fixed conflict with Avast and in the latest Outpost 4.0.971.584? I don't want any surprise.
    3. Will OP4's Self Protection conflict with sandbox (ProcessGuard)?
    I am very cautious when choosing a sandbox program as a bad or good one with bad configuration will easily get me BSOD.

Again thanks!!!

14. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Um no. Process Guard protects processes only - not files or registry entries. Unless you add a registry monitor (RegDefend or SSM being two examples) you will still benefit from OP 4.0's Self Protection.
    If you check OP4's AntiLeak feature, you should find it covers quite a few things not addressed by most security programs (OLE/DDE automation, Active Desktop modification, window control and any programs launched with a URL parameter for example). Of course, that does mean more prompts to deal with initially for legitimate software but far less than you would see with, say, Component Control.
    I don't use Avast! but there was a workaround detailed in the Known Issues section of Outpost 4.0 - What to Expect.
    I've been running OP 4.0 ever since the early betas and never encountered a problem with PG - setting up SMH on Outpost may require more work but that's it.
    Then take a full image backup first - if any problems occur you can roll back even if an uninstall doesn't work. Regular backups should be seen as a necessity anyway.

15. concerned807

I will check out those new apps you mentioned, and look further into OP4. I will come back to this thread.:)

@Paranoid2000: Your knowledge, objectiveness, and courteousness always impresses me.

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I would definitely install the latest version, its the most secure of the bunch.

17. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello concerned807,

Yes they have. I use Avast! with all modules set on high. No problems at all. Do a search for "Avast" on the Outpost Forum - and youll see some threads that I and others started regarding Avast. There was an issue with the Standard Shield module on earlier releases; when set to High it caused a freeze on login. This has now been addressed. When you install this version it will warn you of "possible incompatibilities" with Avast though. But it should be fine. If in doubt, do a backup first.

For the record I will state that Outpost 4.0 is still not a perfect release, and I am not blind to the fact that some users are having issues! Try it and see, if it works - all well and good. If not, there always other firewalls to try if you dont want to go back to 2.5. Like you, I also have a lifetime license - but ive no plans to look anywhere else for another firewall at present - mine works brilliantly.

Richie

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.