which version of Acronis will work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tfc1922, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfc1922

tfc1922 Registered Member

Can I use Acronis TI 9.x Workstation to create backup images for both a Win 2000 server and a Small Bus. Server 2003 server with raid 5 ( 3 drives in each)? Or do I have to buy the much more expensive server versions?

Sure would be nice to spend $50 and not $700 for this !
    Do I have to buy a license for each server?
    This would be for purposes of restoration to same raid config or even to single drive in case of disaster. theft etc.

Thanks

2. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

I have used the bootable CD-ROM to backup a raid1 mirror but sadly I could never restore it completely (win2000 server). You might be able to brake the raid1 mirror and then create the image and have more success but I havn't actually tried it yet. You might be able back up the RAID-5 data in a image but I believe you have to use basic disks. It won't work with dynamic disks.

I did have success on a RedHat Linux server restoring a raid-1 mirror without breaking the mirror. I used it on PE4600 and just stored the image on a workstation TI ver 8.0 build 791. I have had real good luck with that version.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tfc1922,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software and Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Yes, you can use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to backup your server's hard drive (hardware RAID array). However, Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation does not support server operating systems and therefore can not be installed in this environment. You will only be able to use the software when your server is booted from Bootable Rescue CD which eliminates the ability to schedule tasks for the image creation at the particular point in time, mount disk\partition images as a virtual drives in order to restore individual files and folders, use the variety of the remote backup features implemented in Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. We therefore recommend you to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows for your purposes as it supports server operating systems and was specially designed for server environment. Please take a look at Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows if you are interested in performing the backup process remotely.

Please also note that Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows and Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows support all levels of RAID arrays along with the wide variety of modern RAID controllers. Only server versions support imaging of Windows dynamic disks.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version(s) of the product(s) you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use this or that version of Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Acronis Support

Hello simusphere,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that as I have already mentioned in my previous post addressed to tfc1922, Acronis True Image supports all levels of RAID arrays along with the wide variety of modern RAID controllers. Therefore there is no need to "brake" your RAID array in order to create a disk\partition image.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem you have encountered?

- What has happened exactly when you tried to create an image of your RAID array?

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image did you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Let us know the exact vendor and model of your RAID controller;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

I forgot about this post, hence the delay responding. I used version 8.0 build 791 from the rescue CD. This was and image of hardware raid-1 from a PE4600 using a PERC 3DC controller. I was able to create the image but when I restored it came up to the login screen. I logged in. Then I was presented with a blue screen with no desktop icons or taskbar. I had a mouse that moved around the empty blue screen and was essentially useless. I'm sure there was one small missing file somewhere in the winlogon directory but didn't have time to spend figuring out what was missing. I had to reinstall the server from scratch. This was a windows 2000 server by the way. I know there is a more up to date version but this is the only problem I have ever had with it so I elected not to upgrade. Main use is on my workstation, not the server. Plus the server is going to be totaly changed over to a Linux based server.

6. renders

renders Registered Member

I have a windows 2003 server running on a LSI Megaraid 320-1 with Raid 5 array.. I need to replace the raid.
    I would like to use TrueImage Workstation to make an image of the existing volume and place it on a removable drive. I will rebuild the raid and then use TrueImage to reinstall the original image on the new raid volume..

Will this work?

Thanks

Rob

7. Acronis Support

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As Alexey said in the previous post, Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows and Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows support all levels of RAID arrays along with the wide variety of modern RAID controllers.

We recommend you to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Server to create the image of your RAID and restore it to another one.

If you want to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, please be aware that you are able to use it only in rescue mode (from the bootable rescue media).

Please note that in order to clone or migrate your Windows system to different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep). Please take a look at this FAQ article.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. tommo123

tommo123 Registered Member

just to clarify, if i want to backup an XP installation from 1 raptor to a raid-0 array on NF4 SATA controllers, would the workstation version work fine?

9. Acronis Support

Hello tommo123,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Yes, Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation will work as it supports all levels of RAID arrays along with a wide variety of modern RAID controllers.

We recommend anyway that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your computer.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.