Which version of Acronis Trueimage works?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by simplequestion, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simplequestion

simplequestion Registered Member

Everytime I've tried trueimage v9-2009, I always hit a problem, version 9 caused my explorer drive access to hang sporadically for 30 seconds at a time, and the boot disk would hang when initialising usb drives, making restores impossible. The patch numbers go into 1000's, and still never fixed it, then v9.1 came out, quickly followed by 10, 11, 2009, and if I want to get the bug fixed, I have to payout again. Each version seems bug ridden if these forums are any indication, it should be a mature product by now.

I really would like a disk imaging/backup system (that works!) with the features of Acronis, so I thought I'd give 2009 a try. On first launch the 2 splash screens come up, then bang, an error, click OK with no text, nothing readable, no clue as to why it failed. Repeated several times, once it went into the gui, then crashed out when hitting go on backup. Now back to 2 splash screens, and occasional OK prompt with a fox.dll error. It's only just been installed, and it won't even get past the splash screen, not a good indication of quality.

Is there a fix for this, am I wasting my time, will it ever work, or is the product a can of worms?

Is v10 or 11 better, do they work, do they backup everything properly, no bugs, should I try and buy an old version (increasingly difficult it seems).

Any advice welcome, are there any happy users (with successful restores) out there with no problems?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Zardoc

Zardoc Registered Member

Version 10 is the most stable and productive IMHO.

:thumb:

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It sounds like there is something in your system that doesn't like True Image if versions from 9 to 2009 all have problems.

As far installing properly, running under Windows for manual image backups, I haven't had problems really with any of those versions. With some machines, the rescue CD may not work in Full mode, and with some not even in Safe mode. Of course, that means that the boot partition can't be restored unless a BartPE disk is created. However, this has been quite rare, and usually as long as a new computer gets the latest version of TI, it has worked. File and Folder backups I know nothing about because I never use the product that way. Scheduling is often a problem, but I do manual backups.

So, your situation is unusual and suggests some hardware or software that interacts badly with TI on your computer.

Since you can't get TI 2009 to work, you might try Paragon Drive Backup Express which is a free version of their program for drive imaging. Express only does manual image backups to locally attached drives (no network drives, no schuled backups, no file backkups), but it will allow you to test their installation and rescue CD. The paid versions have about the same features as True Image.

Good luck.

4. simplequestion

simplequestion Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

Maxblast 5 (same as acronis 10 personal?) seems to work ok, but I need a solution that isn't limited to seagate/maxtor, and has incremental/differential and scheduling (preferably a little more advanced than version 9 scheduling)

I've tried Acronis on various PC's, there is always a problem somewhere with the full versions of the software, which ends up putting me off persisting with it - I'll try installing the 2009 trial on a different pc, but I'm getting the impression from reading around that V11 onwards are shall we say "a buggy backwards step"?

Haven't been able to find a supplier of V10 anymore, does anyone know if the patches are available if I manage to find a boxed copy (I read that 10 doesn't work on Vista until patched, not sure if that's true?), can't see them referenced on the acronis website. Also, does anyone know where I can find a comparison of the differences between 10, 11, 2009 (in particular relating to scheduling)

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You'll find some problems with all the backup/imaging programs. None of them work on every hardware combo. It's jsut htat ATI 11 and 12/2009 have been much buggier in siginificant ways than prior versions.
    I agree that 10 was the last really good verison (in terms of reliablity and lack of critical problems) Acronis made. But alas, it can handle much less of thenewer hardware than 12/2009. Ironically, it can handle hardware that ATI 11 can't. ATI 11 was the real dog in the ATI series, imo

6. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Shieber as usual perfectly summarised things. This is my experience too. ATI 10 was good but you need newer versions to handle the latest hardware.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I've been using Acronis True Image Home version 9.0 (build 3,677) for 2 1/2 years and haven't had a reason to change. I can't compare it to newer versions, but it has always been reliable for me. I read of all the problems with newer versions and feel like I'm fortunate with 9.0. :thumb:

8. Kron

Kron Registered Member

I guess I'm an Acronis oldtimer with the TI version I use, having used TI 8.0 Build 937 successfully for 4 years now. (Acronis user since version 5 or 6). While my hardware hasn't changed significantly since 2005 (R51 laptops running Win XP SP2 and HP desktop with Win 2000 SP4), I have added 4 external USB drives along the way w/o a hitch.

On several occasions messed up my OS installing some App I shouldn't have, and successfully restored my C Drive. Also migrated HDrives various times to upgrade HD. Also have used DiskDirector v10 to reassign partitions, and used TI to move data around. Never a problem.

I purchased TI 11 for $19 or so during promotion, then got a free upgrade to TI 2009 late last year, but after reading this forum, and considering my success with TI 8, the products are just sitting on hold until I need to use them because of new OS or hardware, I suppose. Just wanted to stay current with Acronis. I'm not going to fix it it if it isn't broken by using the new products.

So, for me, TI 8.0 is great. No bells, whistles, just use the manual full image backup, no incrementals no fanciness needed for me. Saved my bacon many times.

My 2bits,:cool:

Ron

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

In April of 2003, I bought Acronis TrueImage 6.0 on a promotional offer for Ghost users. I had emailed Customer Support and told them I was a PowerQuest Drive Image user, and asked if I could get the same deal? They said, "Sure!"

I purchased Acronis TrueImage 6.0 Promotional Edition for $9.99, which amounted to "over 80 percent off of the retail price"!

I kept 6.0 for a few years, then upgraded to 9.0, which is where I remain, quite satisfied. I have restored full images perhaps a half dozen times, probably more. I use it religiously prior to installing new software or critical upgrades. For awhile I was having a tough time on one machine getting GeSWallPro to install properly, and I was able to try new builds that the developer was sending me with complete confidence that I could have everything back to the way it was within minutes if the install went bad. TI has been very solid for me since 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.