Which to enable,,Defense+ or Procative Defense?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by joeunc, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

Use the latest Comodo V3 and KAV 7.0

currently have KAV proactive defense disabled Defense+ enabled

What is the general consensus on which element would be better to have on or off?

thanks much
    Joe

2. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Personally I would fully enable Defense + in 'clean PC mode' and disable Proactive Defense. Comodo still has a problem with KAV's use of loopback for it's web scanner, even on the new build so you definitely need D+ enabled to combat this in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  3. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

that is the way I have it now and have had it since I paired the two.

thx

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Proactive defense...

Defense+ could be more secure but it's annoying and you really have to know what you're doing. Proactive Defense on the other hand is pretty much noob proof and does the job just as well.

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Not really. The Registry Guard and Application Defense are no more than dumb HIPS, and the Application Behavior Analyzer, while somewhat better, isn't all that smart either.

Hell, no.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

With Application Behavior Analyzer detection beyond 90% i'd hardly call that "isn't all that smart". Especially since it warns only on actually suspicious behavuior opposed to HIPS which are just throwing up popups one by another till users just disables it. Most of them have better stuff to do, other than clicking popups all day long...

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Where'd you get your stats from?

There are two detection routines of the PDM that're actually intelligent - the generic trojan and worm routines. The rest are single-action blocking - just like a normal HIPS - and it doesn't even cover as much as a real HIPS does.

But I agree, the average user should use the PDM over Comodo's D+. But the PDM is a far cry from what programs like ThreatFire, AntiBot and Micropoint can do.

8. YODA

YODA Registered Member

Like Bluenile said, "Comodo still has a problem with KAV's use of loopback for it's web scanner." I'd use the older version of comodo 2.4 to go in hand with its webscanner, otherwise you lose outbound defense. Webscanner is really important from my experience, and has stop many malacious programs. Since 2.4 doesn't have HIPS, stick with KAV's proactive defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.