which to choose?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hi,

has anyone seen this thread?

---------------------------------------------------------------

* please note my laptop without any security would score a pc performance test of 276.6 RESULT

f-secure 2007

55.5 mb ram usage
    13 processes
    full scan speed - 43 minutes 27 seconds
    boot up time - 1 minute 32 seconds
    F-secure Pc Performance Test Results = 265.0 (higher the better)
    ----------------------------
    bitdefender 10 internet security

6.4 mb ram usage
    6 processes
    full scan speed - 13 minutes 8 seconds
    boot up time - 59 seconds
    Bitdefender10 suite Pc Performance Test Results = 269.7 (higher the better)
    Kaspersky Suite 6

12.1 mb ram usage
    2 processes
    full scan speed - 28 minutes 40 seconds
    boot up time - 57.9 seconds
    Kaspersky Pc Performance Test Results = 270.8 (higher the better)
    Trend Pc-Cillin Internet security 2007

142.8 mb ram usage
    7 processes
    full scan speed - 11 minutes 50 seconds
    boot up time - 1 minute 7 seconds
    Trend Pc Performance Test Results = 271.8 (higher the better)
    Avg Internet Security 7.5

65 mb ram usage
    6 processes
    full scan speed - 15 minutes 58 seconds
    boot up time - 45.9 seconds
    AVG suite Pc Performance Test Results = 270.4 (higher the better)
    Nod32 Antivirus
    17.1 mb ram usage
    2 Processes
    Outpost 4

6 mb ram usage
    1 Process
    Panda Internet Security 2007

89.6 mb ram usage
    11 processes
    full scan speed - 7 minutes 51 seconds
    boot up time - 1 minute 37 seconds
    Panda Pc Performance Test Results = 271.0 (higher the better)
    -----------------------------
    Ca Internet Security Suite 2007

114.6 mb ram usage
    13 processes
    full scan speed - 15 minutes 30 seconds
    boot up time - 1 minute 42 seconds
    CA suite Pc Performance Test Results = 268.4 (higher the better)
    -----------------------------
    Norton Internet Security 2007

36.9 mb ram usage
    5 processes
    full scan speed - 14 minutes 21 seconds
    boot up time - 1 minute 13 seconds
    Norton Pc Performance Test Results = 269.2 (higher the better)

**** highest noticable XP slowdowns were mainly noticed during the ca internet security 2007, while the norton suite was the longest to install and un-install.

**** Bitdefender un-installed successfully, although the windows security alerts say that "bitdefender is turned off", when it should say no antivirus software installed.

-----------------------------------------------------

sorry if this has been posted before on here, but which to choose? :)

as it stands, avg suite is nice (felt the lightest on the machine) but some things need attention for fixing, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=151133

norton 2007 is surprisingly good, well-impressed, why sooo long to install, the file is only 35mb ish.

ca internet security is terrrrrrible, i wouldnt recommend this one (my opinion)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

~~ removed quote ~~ no need to quote an entire post when it's just above. ;) snap ~

thanks for all that info about all the major av's and suites.

I would choose kaspersky suite ,nod32+outpost or bitdefender.
    bitdefender never seemed to uninstall properly for me and had to use the uninstaller tool both times i tested it just a word of warning.
    or kav+outpost and use the advise on kaspersky forum to get them working together.

with f-secure you cant really use any other real time scanners along side it they mainly conflict so getting kav would be a better option.

also try the new bullguard 7.0 bitdefender engine+outpost firewall and only £34.99 uk pounds. they do seem a good company and only 2 processes and if yu do try it can you add a report for it like the ones above?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, bitdefender10 has had this issue with me (twice),

happens alot if you dont IMMEDIATLY restart after un-install,

as for bullguard, someone mentioned its 80mb ram usage ( i think they posted that amount), but i dont understand this as the whole bitdefender suite takes just 6.4mb and outpost 6mb, where is all that ram usage coming from in the bullguard suite? i dont think i would ever put this on my machine, as f-secure suite is the same price and avg suite is cheaper still.

on another note,

i was suprised with the boot time of f-secure and scan speed, but i think everyone would agree its still very good software with great protection.

also, just 6mb ram and 1 process for outpost 4, very good firewall for a stand-a-alone product, would recommend to anyone looking for seperate software security.

i was also suprised with ca suite 2007, its still a well known company yet the software as almost NO OPTIONS, very slow boot time, very slow software and buggy, surely a big company like ca cant release this?

some things in life just baffle me, and that is one. :)

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have edited my post please re read and comment.

5. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I am using now BullGuard 7 with antivirus based on BitDefender and Firewall based on Outpost. You might take a look. Also, a 60 day trial with 20% discount if you buy within 3 days of trying and 1000 MB storage space on their servers for your files and docs. Finally, so far great support via their chat plugin.

Gary

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sounds good to me. but it doesnt support windows me and i use windows Me as my testing pc since its a fresh OS install so i dont muck up my main install lol with all these install and uninstall.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not used KIS, or several others.

I am using KAV 6, and it is the best for me after trialing others.

I like F-Secure, and also NOD 32. I would prefer NOD and my own choice of firewall to the suites. However, that is not a result of trials, as I have not trialed a suite. So far I prefer to not combine the AV and firewall. I am not sure it gives more trouble.

If I were to go with a suite it would easily be KIS 6. My second choice would be F-Secure.

Bit Defender is a non-starter for me due to the incompatibility problems I had, and the lack of tech support help.

For just an AV I prefer KAV 6.

Best,
    Jerry

8. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Ey.

I've tried all of them, and would recommend Norton Internet Security 2007. So simple, so clean, so quiet, so effective. Definatly my choice :cool:

Otherwise, i would go for Bullguard ;)

Btw. Nice speed test U made- Good job :thumb:

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well I think nis2007 has improved no doubt but it hasn't got enough options for me, to simple for my liking. I still like kav alot more.

I would say kav or antivir.

how did kav run on your pc?
    I am asking because you have the same hardware as my pc IMO.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

thank you :)

i would agree with that, norton 2007 is amazing.
    massive improvment, no un-install issues and no update issues yet either.
    good scan speed and a decent boot up time aswell, uses hardly any ram and runs very smooth.

but as of yet... im sticking to the avg suite, giving it a run as it works v.well on my laptop, sooooo fast.

11. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

It was running fair. Somewherer in the middle of all the suites/antiviruses. Not to heave and not to light. Avira, Panda, Avg, Symantec Client Security, McAfee Enterprise gives faster boottime and does not slow down my surf (8 MBit Inet). NIS07 and KIS performs equally in speed on my computers.

Ditched Kaspersky cause I want a suite and I dont like their firewall at all ;)

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

all enterprise versions are lighter norton and mcafee but costs to much for home use IMO.
    its odd because when i got the new f-secure my internet is faster yet it now has http scanning.
    I do like http scanners so trojans and viruses never hit your HD and would rather have a bit slower internet because of it.
    im going for separates mainly so antivir premium+comodo or kav+comodo.
    I still prefer kav more than antivir. theres no real point in trying enterprise software because it costs to much.
    why dont they make the home products as light and as many options?

I still like nod32 but soon kaspersky will have the best of everything in an av
    fastest signatures+proactive defense+new heuristic engine and always adding new features.
    nod32 3.0 should be amazing IMO and so should be 2.7. i hope they work on the trojan detection a bit thou.
    the thing with nod32 is thats its mega light tons of options maybe to many,fastest scanning, easy to install and uninstall total compatibility with almost all applications IMON doesnt slow down internet traffic. i hope kav's webscanner soon wont slow down internet traffic with an update to it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  13. gyl

gyl Registered Member

If you want to uninstal bit defender:use regseeker and you delete every files which contain BDRSDRV .It's very efficient

14. huntnyc

Right now I am running NOD32, Comodo, Spyware Terminator and Evido 4. Have been looking to replace these with a suite. These componets run around 55-60 MB in total ram with Evido running about 29 MB. I tried Bullguard 7 which had a great interface and many good feature but the ram usage was close to 100 MB. Although my machine was running fairly well, running these above listed separate programs is more snappy on my system.

As to suites, I am wondering whether I should wait for NOD 3 (who knows when), or look at Antiver suite again (good potential but not as fully developed as other), or take a closer look at AVG 7.5 suite (have heard good things but still has problems as all do to some degree). i want something that will run fairly light in ram but have good features in all areas. I guess I am like the OP in this way, don't know which to choose at this point.

Gary

15. huntnyc

I was wrong because I think my current setup is running at around 76 MB - NOD 32, Comodo, FW, Spyware Terminator and Evido. However, my laptop runs much snappier compared to Bullguard 7. But if I can get lighter would love it.

Gary

16. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Just a shout out for Dr. Web. It doesn't get as much attention as it should.

Very light on resources. Updates several times a day. Good detection. I likes Dr. Web's lean and clean GUI.

50% discount if your migrating from another anti-virus software.

http://estore.drweb.com/migrate/

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  17. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Hi C.S.J.,
    I would go with KIS6 and Acronis True Image ('cause you just never know!) I think you will find ATI very light for the protection it offers.
    SourMilk out

18. huntnyc

C.S.J

Regarding your testing of AVG 7.5 suite, I noted in configuring the type of Tests (scans) you can run with the program, you can choose between having it scan all files or what they call infectable files which is the default. Have you found these options and which setting are you using to run your scans? Just curious because I know the default scans are very fast but of course a lot of files are skipped in these. Am interested in this suite too but just taking a short break before I dive into something else again. Thanks.

Gary

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hi, they were done with scan all files in resident sheild, scan all files was edited in the complete test, and scan all files was changed in the shell extension too.

obviously the scan speed may be different to you as it depends on how many files you have on your machine, i didnt have much on mine, but all were tested with the same amount of files on the machine, so its a fair test.

as to the previous post to me about "you should use kav 6 and acronis true image", im not a lover of the kis suite, but i do like their antivirus, and i am a solid user of the acronis true image software already, have been for the past few versions :)

20. huntnyc

@C.S.J

For some reason, i am only seeing 5 processes while running the AVG Suite trial. Am Using Advanced Task Manager to track processes. Am I missing a process since you mentioned there were six? Thanks.

Gary

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just to clarify -

avg alert manager
    avg control center
    avg email scanner
    avg firewall service
    avg resident shield service
    avg update service

22. huntnyc

Thanks very much. I guess I don't see the email scanner because it is using a plugin for TheBat! becuase I am not using Outlook or Outlook Express for email. Would that make sense?

Gary

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

could be :)

anyhow, how are you finding the suite huntnyc?

24. huntnyc

As I just mentioned in the other thread, this suite is running so light, I hardly know it is there. I am going to keep trialing it and hope I still have this high praise for it later. Hope the detection rate will be improved when new tests come out bu I truly love the interface, lightness and the overall feel of this suite. Thanks again for eedback on this program. Do you see any big negatives so far to this suite?

Gary

25. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thanks CSJ. Interesting for BD to use so little RAM :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.