which software do you use to remove usb ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i'm running w7 and xp

i guess the built in usb remover is enough for usb stick

but for hard drive , printers , scanners or usb reader

which program do you use free or paid?

USB Safely Remove is nice , but it's not free , well i don't know if it worth about 20$

thanks
    cheers

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The built usb remove function is fine for USB hard drives.

For the other devices you mention you can just unplug them.

However for what it's worth I usually just unplug any USB device - probably not the best thing to do though.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I second the built-in one, for USB thumb drives, hard drives. I see no point using third party for that. I also agree those other devices can just be unplugged.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I use built in one.

USB has always been flaky to me. Each port must recognize/register the device. Sometimes it quites working in one port, so you put it in another. Eventually it is possible to have device no longer working in any port. (back when you only had 2-4 ports, now they have lots of usb ports on mobos)

It is not a problem if you pull a usb device out and have issues. Well, if the issue is corrupted data, that is a problem. But if you pull it out, then next time put it in, and it no longer works, you can use device manager to view devices not present and uninstall them. You have to know what the device is, and sometimes it takes a little sleuthing, but almost every time I have had an issue, I have uninstalled the device, then the next time I plug it in, it goes through the process of recognizing and installing it again and it works.

Just a little FYI.

Sul.

5. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Safely Remove Hardware is required only when dealing with USB storage type devices that use the NTFS or one of the the Linux/Mac file systems. If a drive is FAT16/32 formated, then one can just unplug it.
    I also consider the built-in feature to be enough for... maybe 99% of the users. Third party tools might have some useful features for hardcore USB storage users but for the average user it's unnecessary. Especially when there is a price tag.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

either the built in one or just unplug it. just wait for it be totally inactive. i have NEVER ONCE had a issue of just unplugging the drive. as long as you make sure there is no activity.

7. x942

x942 Guest

I second that. I just unplug after the light is no longer flashing. Never had any issue on Win, Mac, or linux.

8. axial

axial Registered Member

Nir Sofer has a freeware USBDeview. I've not used it, but have used several of his other utilities.

There's an interesting comment in the 1.92 version history concerning a difference in the way XP vs. Vista/ Win7 "doesn't turn off the USB device when you disable or 'Safely Remove' the device".

http://nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

>> USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.
    For each USB device, extended information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...
    USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.
    You can also use USBDeview on a remote computer, as long as you login to that computer with admin user. <<

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Never felt using anything different from the built-in one...:cool:

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What's the point? Using my hands when all activity ceased caused no issues whatsoever with the devices.

11. roger_m

Under XP I have had issues wth unplugging a USB harddrive without removing it first - sometimes I've got Windows messages about delayed write failures - there was data that Windows hadn't written to the drive yet. However under Vista and 7 I've had no such issues.

12. axial

axial Registered Member

Another great source of great info and utils for all things USB is Uwe Sieber. He has several free USB removal and management tools. I've used many of them over the years, particularly his USB Drive Letter Manager.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html

13. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Just a side note.
    NirSoft USBDeview is a very powerful tool.
    It's not a toy.
    Take care. If you mess your USB settings you'll be in trouble.

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    In the past I have this kind of software, but when I noticed that it ates ram memory and its functionality are not that different from my operating system's ability then I just decided to get rid of it and be content w/ what my pc can naturally do. ;) ....same thing with USB Disk Security....I've removed it...looks cool and pricey...but it also eats up ram memory ...so removed this thing also on my pc. It just do the same thing what my real antivirus can accomplish, so why bother with it. o_O :blink:

15. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

This may be caused 99% of the times when:
    1) Your USB port is not clean (dust, etc...)
    2) Your USB stick is not clean (dust,etc...)
    3) The USB stick was accidentally moved (even just a little poke) from the USB port
    4) The USB port is not installed correctly or the connections might be damaged, causing writing/reading failures

16. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I don't use anything ... simply put and draw out the USB. Any conflicts, any problems ... any additional programs - Idon't see any reason to install it.

17. Adric

Adric Registered Member

This can also be achieved by changing "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Tmp-Sys\ControlSet001\Services\usbhub\HubG"
    DisableOnSoftRemove from 0 to 1

Al

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

nice find :thumb:
    thanks Adric

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way is portable could be handyEjectUSB V1.6

20. roger_m

All good points, but I don;t think they apply for my situation. I don't get delayed write failures at random under XP, just when I pull out a USB device without telling Windows to remove it first. Delaying writes to a device increases performance, but as in the above scenario can give problems. It would seem that Vista and 7 write data immediately to USB to devices to avoid such cases.

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

it could be an issue with an external hard drive
    maybe for example not a new model

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.