Which services to disable in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Mar 26, 2014.

1. 142395

142395 Guest

Before playing with ACE, firstly backup ACL via icacls with /save option. Thus you can always rollback original ACL.
    I have no clue why your system suddenly changed the behavior.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I think Task Scheduler depends on some other service which I have disabled, I'm not sure which.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Remote Procedure Call?

4. Rasheed187

This is what I thought also, but I still have that one enabled. I did disable "Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator".

Perhaps I will experiment a bit, but like I said, I'm quite happy that the Task Scheduler is disabled.

5. Rasheed187

BTW, seems like my problems have become bigger. Now not only the Task Scheduler, but also the Print Spooler won't start. Do you guys have got any ideas? Is this simply a case of file corruption? Because I've tried just about everything: I've set all services back to manual or automatic, I've used a "Print-Spooler-Repair-Tool", I've scanned with System File Checker and disabled all security tools, but nothing helped. So now I will have to use Windows System Restore.

6. Rasheed187

After having to reinstall my system (with System Refresh) to fix the problems with the Task Scheduler and the Print Spooler, I had a change of heart. Now I advice everyone to never disable (most) Windows Services, at least not the ones used by the Windows OS.

I have now disabled six Windows services (will probably also disable all "Remote" services), all others are either at Automatic or Manual. I do wonder, does anyone have a clue why the Software Protection and Group Policy services refuse to start, even on a freshly installed machine? Are they perhaps triggered by other apps or services?

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Task Scheduler is essential, that is why it can not be simply disabled via services. I delete Scheduler's tasks instead, via reg at shutdown, some tend to reappear.

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace]
    You probably have to have network/LAN installed/running?

8. Rasheed187

No, I don't think so. I do know that before system reinstall, the Software Protection service was always running, but there was something weird going on. System Explorer always gave an error message about it, saying that there was something wrong with the "file image", and EXE Radar couldn't even list it with its process monitor. I wonder if it's also used to protect software that is being trialed, against software piracy.

9. Rasheed187

I deleted some tasks via System Explorer. But I've learned my lesson, it's better not to mess around with the Task Scheduler on Win 8.

http://systemexplorer.net/

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Before you activate Windows, it runs nonstop, after that it hardly ever starts.

11. Rasheed187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.