Which router brand should I choose?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Follower, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Follower

Follower Guest

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new router.
    However, I have absolutely no clue which one to buy.

Is there any website that shows the rank of the market share of router companies?

So maybe I can start searching for one.

Thanks in advance.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Netgear routers are good.
    linksys routers are good but sometimes the cd doesnt work so you need to setup settings manually using the webgui.

what type of router are you looking for? wired wireless? anyother features needed?

what type of internet do you have cable? adsl?

btw if you get a wireless router make sure to enable wireless security make sure at least wpa but if possible wpa2.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Netgear WPN824 V2 OR 3

4. Follower

Follower Guest

Hi,

I'm looking for a wireless router.

Anyone heard of Buffalo or D-Link?

How are those?

Thanks in advance.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    buffalo routers are execellent routers and very easy to setup.
    i know that some members of this forum use dlink routers and they are good.

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

While I use strictly Linksys and manually configure my LAN, I have heard good things about Buffalo and D-Link. Bang for the buck I do not think you can go wrong with D-Link.

7. Follower

Follower Guest

Hi,
    I narrowed down my choices to either Buffalo or D-Link.
    Thanks to you guys.

Follower

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have a D-Link DGL 4100.

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I have both Buffalo and D-Link hardware. Both are fine. I'd check out the Smallnetbuilder Router Charts before settling on a specific model. Don't necessarily focus on maximal speed, you just don't want the device to be a bottleneck for the foreseeable future. So focus on max specs for your connection, where they might be heading over the next couple of years, and how the device stacks up relative to those metrics. If you use a NAS device, you might want to factor that LAN detail in as well.

Blue

10. Follower

Follower Guest

Thanks Blue,
    I'll take a refer to it. :) :) :)

11. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

FWIW, I have a few years old Linksys WRT54G, and it's not such a good router...about every 10-15 days, I need to reset it otherwise the internet connection slows down (esp after some torrenting). Don't know if it's a problem with my specific unit, or this model line.:rolleyes:

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

are you using the lastest firmware?

13. philby

philby Registered Member

...if not, it's here...

philby

14. daronpk

daronpk Registered Member

I would go with a good ol' fashion Linksys WRT45GL and then upgrade to Tomato firmware. This router only costs around 50 bucks or less now, and will do everything you want (for personal use) port forwarding, dyndns, mac cloning, allows VPN passthrough.. Has 54mbit Wireless lan and a 4 port switch, it runs very stable and never hangs or needs to be resetted, atleast mine doesn't, the newer netgears are good too, just avoid d-link have no good experience with those.

15. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

i 've use netgear, dlink, thompson, but currently use a draytek 2820vn
    cracking router with massive amounts of features.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

haha kC_!!

I also use a DrayTek 2820Vn router since 6 months. AWESOME that's the word.

And as you say A LOT of features and so far it rocks!!!
    Or what do you think about it kC_?

It's may not seem cheap, but what you get for the money it isn't expensive either.

SweX

17. Follower

Follower Guest

Blahhh... o_O
    I'm back to where I started from. :(
    Is D-Link popular?
    Or is there better choice out there?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  18. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Buy a Belkin N+ Gig/Storage Router With Wireless 80211.n. Now if you're in Euro they have them in ADSL Modem Router also version of the Belkin N+. Don't get D-LINK because there have issues with DNS Relay (Reserved IP addressing)

19. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Wasn't Belkin convicted last year of QC prodlems and getting its own people to post in select forums posing a former Belkin customers saying how great Belkin router were.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I want one of those routers but i cant afford one atm.
    Ive heard very good things about draytek routers from hexus forums.

21. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Is there any reason why noone mentions the Sitecom brand ?

(I use a Sitecom router)

22. tipstir

I don't know about that, I just got a few months ago to replace the popular D-LINK DIR-655 which to me is just useless (firmware updates don't help, DNS Relay and IP Reserving bugs). I also have Trendnet TEW-652BRP running D-LINK DIR-615 C1 3.11 firmware on that and still after a few days of usage it still overheats and well just useless to use. Netgear WNR-834Bv2 running DD-WRT firmware just a living nightmare. I got 2 Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running DD-WRT SP2/-7/09 as AP under G as N still flaky as G is not.

So I would recommend the Belkin N+ the WAN speed is quick. But in all nearly every Gig Router is using Realtek Gig Controller chipset with 832KB Packet Buffer. But some Gig routers are slower than others even using this chipset.

23. Follower

Follower Guest

@ tipstir,

So D-LINK, Trendnet, Netgear, Buffalo all didn't work for you?
    Is it a known issue, or just you?
    Thanks in advance.

24. tipstir

Flaky Draft N 2.0.. None (Experimental Wireless N) At least of all of them Trendnet works until it overheats. I've re-mod by adding my own heatsinks on NPU, WNPU to this router. Atheros NPU/WNPU 400MHz, 32MB of RAM and 4MB for FLASH. Basically it's a D-LINK DIR-615 C1 also Zy brand as low cost Wireless N router using the same specs and PBC.

Belkin N+ has gig, USB storage gives you NAS features if you use WD Passport type or Seagate clone type of Passport will work. No sharepoint software needed. Just \\router IP and ta da access to network drive.

Anyway you can always spend more money on wireless router other than the current brands and get some really good. I am not convinced with the N performance in Draft 2.0 mode. The new High Power Buffalo N the top of the line WZR-HP-G300NH has stronger 847+ mW for wireless coverage over 10,000 sq. But I am sure that those Atheros chips in there for wireless N will soon act flaky in time. Belkin N+ uses Ralink NPU/WPU suppose to be able to reach 1,200 FT.

I use 2x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT firmware I can access the default 71mW and the max which is 251mW (High Power) coverage 2,500 sq. Very stable then again it's Standard G..

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  25. Follower

Follower Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.