Which programs to run at startup?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by richrf, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

I have ZoneAlarm, NAV, TDS-3, BOClean, and Trojan-Hunter as well as Spybot and Ad-aware, Wormguard, and Process Guard.

Currently I run ZoneAlarm, NAV, and BOClean at startup and I run the other programs on a regular basis. I use to run Process Guard but it seemed to have too many conflicts so I disabled it. This set of memory resident programs seems to be able to keep my system clean but because I am not have intimate knowledge of what the other memory resident programs do (e.g. TDS-3 Execution Protection), I do not know if they are simply overlapping or provide additional vital protection.

So my question is whether I should be enabling any other programs at startup besides the one's I already have and also whether there are additional programs out there that others have found helpful (e.g. Spysweeper, SpyCop) etc. Needless to say, I have been burned in the past so I do like excellent protection on my machine. Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,
    Rich

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi richf, Regarding Process Guard, were you running the trial or the full version?
    Full version 2 should have no conflicts on your system with the programs you have outlined. It is also the most powerful of your chosen programs especially with regards to the latest malware that can easily close down your other security apps.
    If you require further guidance for PG please post in the Process Guard forum and we will do our best to resolve your problems.

TDS3 is best run as an on demand scanner in your situation as you have BoClean and or TH as your resident ATs.

I like Spy Sweeper in addition to Spybot AA and Javacools tools.

HTH Piili

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Pilli,

Thanks for the advice. I am using the trial version of PG to protect my firewall. There seems to be a conflict with TrojanHunter resident. I do not necessarily need to run TH resident since I have BOClean but I thought that the dual protection would be better. Thanks for the recommendation for Spy Sweeper. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Rich

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Its most likely not a conflict at all - TrojanHunter Guard, and any other scanner which scans periodically, will poll the running processes to check if there are any new ones to be scanned. When this happens ProcessGuard sees it and shows some log alerts about trying to access the protected program?

Its very difficult to explain, but this is normal and nothing bad is actually happening. If it was a real conflict, you would find that THGuard could possibly even crash because it didnt expect to be interfered with, or at the least you would find that it didnt seem to work right. This would be a real conflict, but we dont expect there will be ANY.

In the full version, any program which needs to access other running programs can be added to the protection list and given ALLOW privileges so it can go on its merry way :) We hope the new version coming soon (Jason is working very hard on it now) will make all of this much easier to understand

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Gavin,

Thanks a lot for the additional information. I think that it is appropriate to comment that I have found that DiamondCS is absolutely at the top of the heap when it comes to support and I would also like to give a very big thumbs up to the support over at BOClean that has also helped me out of tough spots. You guys definitely set the standards - and again thanks for all of the help over the years.

Regards,
    Rich

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Indeed, I don't even have any DiamondCS products, yet, but have always been impressed by the tech support shown by the company in these forums.

Acadia

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am looking forward to the new version as I really want to use and understand PG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.