Which Paragon Product Is Best For Me?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by fermpm, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fermpm

fermpm Registered Member

I have a new Windows 7, 64-bit laptop. My older Acronis version boot CD doesn't recognize the new drive. I was considering an upgrade, but have happened to come across some reviews that even the new Acronis versions don't handle Windows 7, 64-bit reliably. So I'm curious to hear what Paragon has to offer. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Image backup and restore for system and data partitions - with incremental backup capability
    2) Image plug-in as virtual drive capabilities for recovering individual files
    3) Using a boot-up CD to bypass OS to restore from external hard drive plugged in via USB. I'm hoping that I can create a bootup CD that isn't some "Trial Version" that can do a backup of the initial factory set laptop, without having to do the Windows setup and installing software. This is an important detail.
    4) One time ability to set up a data partition from the current system partition (C:\). I haven't had much luck shrinking "immovable files" using Windows 7 built in option to manage partitions. I don't really need partitioning tools after this initial setup.

I'm thinking that the Hard Disk Manager Suite 2010 (for $49.95) is the best deal for what I need. I'm not sure if it meets item #3 that I have listed? I was hoping if someone could confirm that you could create a full-blown, non-trial version boot from CD.

Then there is Drive Backup Professional at the same price ($49.95). It seems to meet the backup requirements, but it doesn't come with the partitioning tool. So I'm not sure of all the reasons why these are priced the same. There is no direct comparison chart between this and the Hard Disk Manager Suite. It does look like the Backup and Recovery Suite ($69.95) is overkill for what I need and it doesn't appear to have partitioning tools either.

I've also considered the possibility of the free partitioning and backup tool. Although I don't think I can get the boot CD from that. Doing the one time partition setup seems good with that? I'm leaning towards the Hard Disk Manager Suite, but afraid I'm missing something since it is price the same as the initial drive backup tool?

Thanks.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You should be fine with the HDM Suite.

I use HDM Server Edition and it's excellent.

You get the WinPe boot cd and the Linux/dos boot cd with the registered version of HDM suite , so there should be no problem with your number 3.

( There might be limitataions with the boot cd of the trial version - the full versions will be excellent).

Hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.