Which option for imaging SATA hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Residentevil, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Residentevil

Residentevil Registered Member

I have two identical SATA hard drives. The first one has the OS, apps, data, etc. The second one is empty. I want to make an exact image of the first one onto the second as a backup. But I do not want to remove the first one as in the clone task mentioned. So when my first drive fails, I take it out and move the second one over without loosing a beat.:rolleyes:

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Well whatever option you use, you'll have to "lose a couple of beats" :D at least.

1. Clone to the second and then take it out of the computer.
    2. Put the second one in an external case and clone to it.
    3. Do an Image backup, not Clone, to a third drive in an external case, and if the first drive fails, you then do a Restore to the second.

With #3 you wouldn't have to open the case.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The old drive must not be present when XP boots the first time after cloning. After the first successful boot the old drive can be put back. It probably is not a bad idea to run off the clone if you can which will thoroughly test it.

You can easily remove a SATA drive by just unplugging the SATA cable. Some BIOS's let you select which SATA drive you want to boot from so you don't even have to swap the cables in that case to the "bootable" SATA connector. This does not eliminate the need to disable the old disk before the first successful boot!

IMO, a better way for disaster recovery is to image the disk to the second drive. You can store a lot of images compared to one clone. Downside is you have to have a replacement drive available to do the restore. Is that a big deal? Drives fail but they don't fail freqently and your PC usage may not be critical but only you know that. You can also burn images to a DVD.

4. Residentevil

Residentevil Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of an image backup. I will do an image backup to the second drive, when the first drive fails, I buy a third drive and restore the image backup from the second to the third drive. Better I buy a third drive now and test the scenario.
    Would I use the "Pick a task" Backup option, then choose "The entire disk contents or individual partion option?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes thats the correct procedure for imaging a partition(s)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.