Which option do you suggest?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ftwynne59, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Hi

I recently had problems with my pc. All software recovery option's have been tried with the only option to replace the HDD. So when it happens I will have a clean install of Windows XP including all the preinstalled software you usually get and nothing else. I have two option's to take and would like your advice on which you feel is the best one. I have a Acronis TI9 backup of my entire windows C: drive, held as appx 15 4.4gb files on an external SATA 300gb HDD. I also have all my essential data backed up on cd's.

Options...

1. Restore my TI9 backup image?
    2. Re-install all my apps and restore my data from the backup cd's.

Take into consideration I have never performed a TI9 restore before. Also, I have installed and uninstalled numerous apps over the last 12 months and my TI9 backup will contain all the dregs that previous installation's left behind.

So, which you do think I should go with?

Regards

ftwynne59

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi ftwynne59

I would start afresh.
    Install Operating system
    get up and running all the necessary software
    like Internet, Email etc.
    Set up your scanner,Printer etc.

Then install TI9 and make a backup image to a DVD
    this image will allow you to go back to a clean system
    anytime you want to.

Make further images as, where and when you want.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I agree, if you have an installation CD, I would start over.
    That way you remember your hardware setup better, you can install updates of drivers, maybe you have different ideas of settings and want to implement that.
    Restore from image is easy and fast, but you stay better in touch when you install fresh.

4. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

i also agree that doing a fresh reinstall would be best for a clean system that is going to run the best it can....i also agree that it would be a good idea to make an image of your clean, fresh reinstall with ti9 when you're done so you can easily return to this clean state anytime you wish. in fact, i recently did both of these things, and am happy i did...computer running good, and faster!

5. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Thanks to all

Looks like the consensus of opinion is option 2...more intensive and time consuming but ultimately the safest, cleanest option.

Cheers

ftwynne59

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would also vote for option 2. A clean install gives you always the opportunity to create one or several clean backups at wish, that can be used in the future to reinstall your computer from scratch again using your backup file instead of doing it manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.