Which one of these would best suit my Suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Ok, even with having AVG Internet Security Suite given to me as a gift, I have still gone back and forth trying to decide if I should use a different Firewall or Antispyware with it. I have stood by the AVG Antivirus, but I have tried 4 other Firewalls. SKPF, ZA Free 4.5.594, PC Tools, and Comodo. (while of course uninstalling the AVG FW first) And have tried 3 other AntiSpyware's. Spyware Terminator, Ashampoo AS, and even Windows Defender. I have finally decided that since AVG Anti-Malware did very well in the recent AV Comparatives and that a few knowledgeable people in the forum use AVG AS for RT protection, to keep it installed in my Suite. I have also decided that since I'm behind a Router Firewall, that the low memory using AVG FW should be enough outbound protection. So what's the problem you may ask? I being a member here and having "Wilders Syndrome" as I've heard it called, would still like to add one more software program for added RT protection. I have already tried Arovax Shield, which offers some light HIPS protection, but not sure it's enough. I have had Cyberhawk on board a few different times and like the set and forget Behavioral Detection it offers. I also have tried ProcessGuard Free and read where it may well be the best protection as far as stopping execution of malware, and also liked it. Finally I have used Prosecurity Free, and SSM Free, but decided that for myself although they're both excellent programs, simply aren't for me. Finally there was GesWall and BufferZone which are fine sandboxie's, but again not for me. So this leaves ProcessGuard Free and Cyberhawk and also leads to my question. Although different, which one one of these does anyone feel would be the best all around protection in addition to my AVG ISS? I appreciate the opinions of people in here, and really do want to make one final decision on which one to add. Thank you, and looking forward to everyone's replies.

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Between Process Guard Free and Cyberhawk (Free) I would choose Cyberhawk.
    Why? 1. It is still being developed whereas Process Guard is not. 2.Cyberhawk has performed well on at least two tests (one of which was done by AV-Comparatives). 3. Employees of Cyberhawk regularly visit this forum.

Things to consider: 1. Staff may pay more attention to Cyberhawk Pro version rather than Free version. 2. Cyberhawk uses many system hooks which may produce compatibility problems with other programs. 3. If I was looking for a free HIPS I would choose System Safety Monitor over Process Guard.

My personal preference is GesWall Free over both Process Guard Free and Cyberhawk Free. GesWall is not a sandbox but rather manages processes through Windows Group Policy.

My $0.02.

Best regards.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I would tend to agree with Thankful in choosing Cyberhawk over Process Guard although I like SSM. Another thing, though, do you have an on-demand AS scanner? SAS free would be a nice compliment to your AVG AS.

4. duke1959

Thank you Thankful and acr1965. First I will say I think GesWall may well be the best bet as far as security, but I'm not sure about it as I really didn't give it a chance when installed. I would really like to try SSM Free again, however I keep holding back from installing it because of the slight fear I have for some reason about using it. I do agree with both of you though that I should use SSM Free instead of PG Free. So I guess now my question becomes which one of these best suits my Suite, SSM Free or GesWall? Hopefully some reassurance from you guys and others on using them can help me make a decision soon. If not I guess there's still always Cyberhawk waiting in the wings. LOL. The pun was intended. LOL. Thanks again to both of you for responding.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have run SSM with PG (free) with no problems. On the other hand i couldn't recommend doing that though if you are decided on running Cyberhawk. The 3 together? I dunno.

But i can tell you with a certainty that SSM plus Cyberhawk also does well with no conflicts with this set up. Windows XP Professional SP1.

I haven't tried thaT COMBO together yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2007
  6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

First of all, both SSM Free and GesWall Free are both fine products. They differ in their approaches. SSM involves more user interaction and stops threats before they occur. GesWall may allow a vulnerability but renders it harmless to the computer.

I would suggest trying them both. Again, people prefer one or the other according to their tastes. A good way to learn more about GesWall is by looking at its FAQs:
    http://www.gentlesecurity.com/docs/geswallfaq00.html

Hope that helps.

7. duke1959

Thanks Thankful. Can I just leave SSM Free in learning mode for a week or two until it learns my System, and then take it off? I hear about configuring it, and I think that's what scares me a bit. My PC is clean and I do by the way use SAS as an On Demand Scanner.

8. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It's been a while since I've used SSM but a week is too long. I would leave it in learning mode for two or three computer restarts. This would allow SSM to handle driver and parent/child relationships for your system applications as well as programs that start when your computer starts (antivirus,firewall, etc.) You should also run any other programs you use regularly such as drive and registry cleaners. I would also run your mail client (without clicking a link) and web browser (without visiting a website) during this period.

If you leave SSM in learning mode and happen to visit a website with a dangerous exploit, SSM would not alert to a problem.

There is forum for the free and paid versions:
    http://www.syssafety.com/forum/

Hope that helps.

9. duke1959

Yes it does help Thankful. I am currntly running Cyberhawk and may install SSM Free in few days. I'll run them together until SSM Free learns my system, and then uninstall CH. Thanks for your help, and I haven't ruled out GesWall yet. Why did you choose it over SSM Free?

10. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Just a personal preference. GesWall scored very well when it was tested by AV-Comparatives. It also performed well with the following AntiKeylogger Test:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=161474

GesWall still is a little buggy. It also does not support Windows XP built-in ZIP function. The ZIP support should be available in version 2.7. The free version provides browser and email protection.

Best Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.