which one of the “free” musketeers you guys recommend

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hadi, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

A friend wanted a good free antivirus. I know there are others but these 3 are quite well people talk about. But which one you recommend

AVG AntiVirus Free 7.322
    AntiVir PersonalEdition
    Free avast! 4 Home Edition

Thanks.

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

AVG.........No Contest........ :D

Cochise, :cool:

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast has the most features but others are good too, I have used Avast for the last two years without getting infected with anything, out of the three, Avast features web scanning, network, P2P and IM scanning as well as the mail scanning.

4. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Avast - for same reason as above and that cool voice that shouts 'VIRUS' :D

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I would recommend either Avast or AVG. Both are great programs and I use them interchangebly.

AVG version 7, however, seems to hog more resources than version 6 did and that has caused some people to turn to Avast.

If you system is decent, either of these will do fine.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I do admire a man with a sense of humour! :D :D :D

If you take a look at a few Forums with HJT sections you will see just how much stuff seems to get through the defences of those using AVG!
    If it is detection rate you are after then there really is no contest - AntiVir is the winner (with Avast a close second). :p

If it is 'light' resource usage you are after, then AntiVir is again the winner! :p

If you insist on a POP3 mail scanner then AntiVir is not for you - but why would you want one especially? Mail scanners are a non-essential extra if your ISP is scanning your mail before it is sent and your 'on-access' Guard is scanning it as it is opened or saved? And if you are using web-mail (Yahoo, Hotmail etc ) it is entirely irrelevant.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Another vote for AntiVir from me :)

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I use AVG 7 on an older Compaq with BoClean running along side. No problems here. No infections either. The other two I have not tried. ;)

9. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

AntiVir - Because I have used it on and off since 1998, until I bought an AV, and it never let me down.
    Pros:
    light, good detection.
    Cons:
    Lagre updates, no POP scanning

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  10. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

avast all the way.search the forum and u will get plenty of threads regarding all the 3 u mentioned with useful info..

11. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Although i use AVG as resident and AntiVir as on demand,i d recomment without hesitation AntiVir above all 3.The only reason i have AVG resident is that it can't be set on demand without having some processes running in background while AntiVir can be set so.

12. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I choose Avast. Simply Becoz i don't like AntiVir GUI.

Detection wise Antivir and Avast should be around the same. I guess this since Avast 4.6 has not been proberly tested. ( 4.1 was slightly behind in Av- compartives.org. But Post 4.1 add better generic detection )

Also Avast has layer protection as well as good GUI. It's resources usuage is not heavy. but not light either.

13. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

:D :D :D I can't argue with that Topper.. :D :D I suppose a fair sense of humour is required to cope with Computing at the best of times..... ;) I still rate AVG for my part tho'...had it close to three years now with never a prob...but to each his own eh?...

I did maybe think that there might not be any kind of AV that would help people who are having to constantly run to HJT for help, so maybe those HJT figures you quoted are possibly irrelevant to the question.... :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I have to vote for AntiVir. From what I've seen it has the better detection rates of the three, and they've been one of the quickest to add samples that I've sent them. I would also back it up with Ewido free with the context menu entry for scanning email attachments and other downloads.

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Confucius say: "Your level of security is only revealed when it fails. Not being infected doesn't mean that you're OK." :D

For WinXP test at VirusBulletin, AntiVir-PE (H+BEDV) & AVG (Grisoft) *passed* whereas Avast (Alwil) *failed*

For another recent test where AntiVir, AVG, & Avast were tested...
    _/Go > HERE

_/Click "Comparatives" button

_/Download report (.pdf) for Feb 2005.

AntiVir-PE (AV-PE) has TWO excellent support forums at...
    THAT place
    AND
    THAT other place

AV-PE has strong heuristics & a broad signature base. It updates engines & signatures frequently. AV-PE's daily signature updates are large, so (until an incremental updater becomes available) AV-PE is best used by those who are on broadband.

16. TopperID

Actually I'm not going to knock AVG because I know that a lot people of use it successfully and like it. So really I'm just sticking up for my preference.

There never will be agreement on what is the 'best', so we all just have to take our choice!

But personally I would never make a choice based on the GUI, for me performance is the prime consideration.

17. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

Re: which one of the “free” musketeers you guys recommend

yes if you are on dialup dont use antivir ,but if you are on broadband its a good choice..remember avast will boost its detection with version 5 soon..

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

VB100% is not something that i would rely on...

19. WonderingStranger

WonderingStranger Registered Member

Hi...
    AntiVir is what I've used for years. Never had any problem or failure with it.
    Light on resources, the team is fast to update the sig list, completely free (doesn't even require a registration).
    Avast I tried several times, but never liked the UI (small problem) nor couldn't get it to run properly on my XP (big problem), despite several attempts at different times.
    AntiVir updates its sigs very regularly, and is extremely fast on any new alert, and the engine itself is regularly updated too.
    No need to scan emails as far as I'm concerned. The AntiVirGuard scanner catches anything suspicious that even intends to try to rise.
    Very best choice to me.
    Cheers

20. squash

squash Registered Member

AVG
    Stable, reliable, hardly ever crashes, free, small updates, nice consistent Windows UI instead of skinned app.

21. TopperID

You want to try one that doesn't crash! :D :D :p

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

From past experience I would say AVG7 or Avast and in my opinion I think Avast has the edge. ;)

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

1. avast! HE
    2. AntiVir PEC
    3. AVG FE

old computer: AntiVir PEC

24. iwod

iwod Registered Member

According to the avast forum version 5 is certainly not coming out this year.

And as i said 4.6 is already very much improved over 4.1.........

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I may be wrong about this, but I believe the FREE Avast does not have script scanning but the paid does. Also Antivir scored better at AV-Comparitives. PC Flank has a review of AVG7.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.