Which one now offers the most protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

a-squared Anti-Malware 3.0 full version, or Prevx2? I see what they both are suppose to cover as far as PC security, but I'm hoping someone in the forum with more knowledge than myself, (which is many. LOL) can help decipher which one now offers more all around RealTime protection.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Go with prevx 2, its free today!!

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Just because it's free does not mean it offers more protection. Although I think Prevx does. Others may not agree though.

Thanks,

Chris

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Great question, I have been wondering the same thing. IMO, I don't think anyone could give an honest answer as to which may provide the most protection. They both are fairly new releases. You could take a look at what the A2 IDS protects and then see how it compares to Prevx.

I have licenses to both, but the only reason I'm using A2 right now is because of a free trial and it has been stable on my machine. The trial afforded me the time I needed to 'look at' the new version before using my license. If I didn't have the trial, I would probably be using Prevx. I know that doesn't help you much, but your question may be best answered by a flip of a coin.

Other things to consider are that Prevx needs the internet to check for a new program if it's not already known on your machine. A2 only needs the internet for updates. When Prevx connects to the internet, it has a HUGE database behind it. Prevx is a lighter app than A2 which runs about 45,000K on my machine.

If I was a betting man, I wouldn't place a bet on which is the best. I only bet on sure things ;). I hope this helps.

Cheers, innerpeace

5. duke1959

I like both programs, but the a-squared GUI and features are nicer in my opinion. Comparing what all they are suppose to cover is where I'm a little confused. I currently have a-squared installed and can read what all the Guard protects, but I don't remember what all Prevx did. They both offer Behavioral Detection and signatures, with Prevx also using CIPS. Maybe it's too close to call. It does seem my PC is a little faster with a-squared than it was with Prevx although I'm not really sure. I'll install prevx again and shut down a-squared to compare more.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Duke,

PrevX uses the widest varity of defense mechanismes. Also PrevX is free (until you are infected which is fair enough). So that would mean a 2-0 advantage for PrevX. So why am I running A2 V3 with IDS on the PC of my wife?

There are two sides to this. First the lisence structure of PrevX is really innovative (you pay when you need, until then it is free). Problem with this is that I can not run some tests. I seem to become 'greedy' and unreasonable: I want PrevX for free when it passes my test set. I want to check for myself, because PrevX had more 'fails' then comparative products (CyberHawk for instance or Online Armour). This uncertainty and 'greadiness' made look for user friendly alternatives (Sana Security Safe Connect). By chance a friend recommended A2, so I included them also. A2 and SafeConnect ended par in my appreciation. Only the fact that PRSC had also removed some systems file in a test of I think PC Magazine, made me choose for A2.

After runnning it for a month on my wife's PC, I think A2 is the user friendliest second layer after defensewall. It works (thrown a few tests at it) and with intelligent false positive reduction it is very very quite. Although it uses a lot of memory (compared to other security aps, but 1,5 MB I do not mind) but is awfully fast.

So I like the A2 product very much, on the helpdesk I have a mixed impression (you get answers only the toine of voice is somewhat questionable).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  7. duke1959

Thanks Kees1958 and to everyone so far. I am a bit hesitant to keep perevx 2 on board after some of the very few but big problems that a recent update of Prevx caused. Although there has been mention of a few a-squared problems as well, they apparently weren't as bad as the ones caused by Prevx. Problems with either one seem to be adressed fairly quick however, but the edge definitely goes to a-squared in that area from what I read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.