Which one Kav 4.5 or Kav 5.0 Pro?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FluxGFX, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,

I am given the option of either one of these. Which one should be selected and why?

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I chose 4.5. It was far more reliable on my system. Did not cause hangups like 5.0 or conflict with other programs as 5.0 did. It also does not use the ADS streams which created problems when I scanned with TDS-3 or any other system that was scanning the streams. It took me a while to remove them. I may relook 5.o in 6 months or a year, but I preceived no advantages to choosing 5.0 and lots of extra problems. On my system, 5.0 was a disaster.

I puchased 4.5. Pro from ICE Systems which provided very good support during my evaluation. KAV after-sales support has been so-so.

Rich

3. FluxGFX

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to respond as I have a registered copy for both of em and was wondering of the pro's and con's of each.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mixed feelings on this one FluxGFX,

4.5 is very reliable and configurable. If you want to do demand only scanning, it is the only way to go. The package itself is quite stable. You have access to the extended and paranoid bases now. It's reasonably fast on a new machine.

5.0 does have a lot going for it and against it. On the against side: (1) the near infinite configurability is gone, there are many options but it is a bit less than 4.5 at the current time; (2) there doesn't seem to be any way to have this run as demand only. Even if you disable the realtime scanner, a startup scan that can't be disabled might be an issue, I simply don't know. The application itself is no longer modular - you'll see this on install and use, it's a totally integrated package - that can be good or bad depending on what you want to do; (3) If you're so inclined (I'm not), you cannot automatically update from the extended and paranoid bases yet. It will come, who knows when, maybe soon. On the plus side: (a) The reporting function is vastly improved; (b) Handling of flagged malware sent to quarantine has been improved, and even if you delete malware, backups are retained and can be restored; (c) there's the iStreams issue - which can be readily disabled in Pro or WS, so that's irrelevant in the weighing of 4.5 & 5.0.

Right now, I'm still trying to get fully comfortable with 5.0 WS (which is close to Pro). I'm still adjusting settings to squeeze performance.

Blue

5. FluxGFX

Hi,

I'm looking at the Real Time Protection aspect. I don't really care for the on demand.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

6. Jeremy2

Jeremy2 Registered Member

Does 5.0 WS have the same drawbacks as the 5.0 pro?

I'm using the 4.5 version, the problem I'm having now with it, is that it doesn't monitor any my thunderbird pop mail(EICAR test), feature available only for outlook, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=56370. Which seems that it has been fixed in the 5.0 pro.

7. ...

... Guest

Is there ANY way (manually or otherwise) of using super secure databases with KAV 5 Pro? If so pleas give details, thanks.

8. BlueZannetti

On drawbacks - as far as I know - yes. Feature sets are almost identical.

On mail - from the configuration screen, see below, it should work fine.

Blue

Attached Files:

9. FluxGFX

Guest Posters.

Stay un subject or don't post.

Question is which one Kav 4.5 or 5.0 Pro and why?.

Thx.

10. BlueZannetti

FluxGFX,

To help keep the thread focused, aside from the realtime aspect mentioned above, are there any other specific application aspects that you're focusing on at this time that you like comment on or are you looking for general performance/usage impressions?

Blue

11. FluxGFX

Hi,

I'm looking at the aspect of the Real Time Protection ability tweaks, performance in detection ratio. It's aspect to be able to go through packed files etc...

This should be focus on the aspect of the Real Time Protection of Kav 4.5 and 5.0 Pro.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

you could keep 4.5 if you like extended databases.
    Or get v5 if you like them unpackers a lot.

13. FluxGFX

Hi,

I'm running Kav Pro 4.5. I choose which one I wanted, know I'd like to know the tweaks that can be made to the realtime protection...

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

15. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Kav 5 update released. No more ADS choking (AFAICT).
    G'luck!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.