Which one for me.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AaLF, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

It's time to upgrade this PC. At the moment I've got AVG freebie. But I want to lash out and actually buy some security this time. So I want to buy on quality/performance.

Saving a few dollars is not a priority.

I've got ADSL with a router/modem P4 480k-ram, 2gb.

My understanding is a firewall is not required due to router/modem. However I want outbound security. AppDefend firewall is included for the AV's as I read in here that it's the right thing for outbound security.

So here's my short list...

Kaspersky KIS security suite
    Kaspersky KAV with AppDefend Firewall for outbound.
    AVG Security suite
    NoD32 with AppDefend Firewall for outbound.

I've trialed both Kaspersky and AVG. KiS seems to be a bit "heavy" running a system scan in the background. However I've kept it on the list due to Kaspersky's reputation.

I liked AVG. It scans without hassling me by taking up too much resources. But it's not famous.

NoD32 is on the list because it seems to have many loyal advocates and it reads that it is very light to run, which appeals after the KiS experience.

So what do you guys think? One of the above or something else?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

in order of preference, id choose:

KIS
    KAV and AppDefend
    NOD32 and AppDefend

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Instead of getting avg security suite i'd recommend just getting avg antimalware seeing as you do not need the firewall. My recommendations would be
    AVG Antimalware + Appdefend or,
    NOD32 + Appdefend

The good thing is at the moment the current beta version of appdefend does not expire, there is no time limit even tho it says there is. You can give it a good trial and if you like it then get a license when its officially released.

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

As far as super qualty, ultra light and high performance AV I'd definitely suggest NOD32.

Read: --> http://www.winplanet.com/article/3501-4891.htm

For a firewall try Comodo (free) or Outpost Pro (paid)

AntiSpyware is a personal preference but I'd look into ewido / AVG either free or paid version and to top off the security, I wouldn't want to be w/o HIPS. Depending on how involved you want to get w/ the app you can go for a no maintenance app like Prevex or something as sophisticated as SSM.

My final suggestion would be a recovery / imaging program: look into FD-ISR and Acronis True image.

I realize I've laid out alot, but take your time. Trial and decide which apps best fit your style, need and level of experience.

hth,

...screamer

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not used KIS, however, I have been using KAV6 since the beta days. I trialed NOD32 before I tried KAV.
    KAV is slightly lighter than NOD 32 on my systems, scans much faster after the initial scan, and while the heuristics are not as good, the PDM makes up for it in my view by blocking unknown malware.

I much prefer KAV. I am using LnS firewall with KAV 6 and have had no problems.
    Either NOD or KAV will give you excellent protection so it is really a matter of which you find you prefer after testing.

But the usual claim that NOD is lighter and faster is not correct on my computers.

Best,
    Jerry

6. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

1. I re-installed Kaspersky for another go and I definitely think it makes everything sluggish while scanning. So NoD32 looks like it'll get the 'nod'. ;)

2. As for the firewall I'm trying a freebie called 'proxie firewall'. It's so simple. Love it. I tried AppDef and couldn't get access to the net. I deleted it. :oops: Where can I find another AppDef to try as it seems to be most people's favorite??

3. What's "HIPS"? o_O

7. WSFuser

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You must have done something very wrong with appdefend for it to block net access. Make sure you install it on a clean system and then go thru and run every app that you use and allow them all.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

once kis6.0 has done a few scans and opened everything once it hardly slows down me at all.
    lodore

10. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

:thumb:

And more good news. I downloaded the latest version and seems to runs a lot liter than the early one i was using.:thumb:

11. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I'm trying NoD32 once more.

My question relates to the firewall...

I'm ADSL with a router/modem. The manual says the router/modem is giving me inbound protection.

So that leaves outbound.

In another thread someone posted up a simple firewall called Proxyfirewall. The only rules are ALLOW or BLOCK for an application wanting to access the net.

Being a novice this appeals and seems to be all I need. Do I need more like say Jetico?

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4719/proxyfirewalllt8.png

12. WSFuser

i would say no, but its entirely up to you.

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You said you love AVG - so why don't you use it then? Who cares about fame? If you want fame, then you should use Norton.
    Mrk

14. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

He wants 'fame' - not 'notoriety'. :D

15. theflamingbush

theflamingbush Registered Member

1/avira classic ( free) .....maybe avg on demand as secondary back up as it also has an email check.

2/you dont need the firewall if your sitting behind a router

3/hips....SSM free edition is an excellent HIPS! and a dynamite addition to your Avira Guard and suite

4/SANDBOXIE!........its a must for browsing! ;)

5/ a Linux Distro! LOL ;).Ubuntu is cool, and then you can ditch the lot! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.