Which old programs are dead or alive?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Less

Less Registered Member

gosh...Drive Sentry, DefenseWall, GesWall

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Died: Raxco's First Defense. Reincarnated as: Instant Recovery. Still my number one go to program for recovery, even before my beloved Macrium and Terabyte.
    Acadia

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It's actually different. With Shadow Defender you can set Windows to start in shadow mode with every start albeit losing all information from the previous session. With ShadowUser you could reboot from shadow mode into a new shadow mode session without losing any information from the previous session, very useful indeed if you were testing a program requiring a reboot.

Nowadays it is not really so important as most programs don't require a reboot. Windows monthly updates are always installed with a mandatory reboot, but in such a critical situation it is better to rely on backup/imaging programs, as a matter of fact I believe StorageCraft discontinued ShadowUser because of piracy, but also because they were promoting their great imaging program ShadowProtect ($90 in 2011), very expensive then, probably untouchable nowadays...

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks for such interesting info @Osaban

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I would honestly have to credit Raxco and it's First Defense for inspiring the need of a lot of extra used hard drive buys from local computer shops because I kept so many of those snapshots it wasn't funny. It was like having a library bookshelf of customized windows installations each one different than the other.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You are welcome.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Another Raxco First Defence past user here. It made you feel invincible at times :D

I miss Online Armor too.

I also had a soft spot for Ewido before it got gobbled up.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Online Armor for me had to have been the best and most comprehensive firewall/HIPS that I never have experienced since. It really hurt losing such a great created fashion of a security software as it was.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well perhaps I shouldn't have said "no way", because I'm sure that MD was pretty good. But Neoava Guard was truly impressive, I really miss some of the features, not even SpyShelter has them. And the logging system was also pretty good, NG came close to being the perfect HIPS, I wish Arman Nayeri would develop a new version for Win 8, 10 and 11.

10. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Ya, Ewido was a powerful program !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.