Which is the right choice for ME?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by entropism, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entropism

entropism Registered Member

OK, so here's my story: I'm running Vista x64, and I have a license for KIS 07 good until 2010 which I received through a promotion. HOWEVER, I'm tired of KIS slowing down my connection and taking 30 seconds to load certain web sites (anandtech forums for a popular example).

As of right now, I'm running my NAT router and Comodo, along with SuperAntiSpyware (paid). I'm quite happy with SAS, but Comodo and Avira just don't seem "polished" enough to make me feel safe. Over the past few days, Comodo has crashed randomly about 6 times, Avira's icon randomly disappears from the taskbar on windows startup (fixed for now), etc.

So, that leaves me looking for new software, even if I'm going to stick with my current config, to make sure I covered all my bases. I'm debating going back to Outpost's firewall (which I had before KIS, on XP), as they were rated as high as Comodo recently. Once I edited a few rules, Outpost ran smooth and gave me no problems. I was also looking into NOD32, which I had paired with Outpost, but the whole proxy web scanner business scares me off completely.

So... Is there an AV that has excellent real-time methods of keeping viruses OUT of my system, can reliably get something that leaked through, can protect itself from malware shutting it down, is light, and doesn't slow my system down? It's a pretty damn beefy system, so the fact that kaspersky bogged my browser annoyed me to no end. A fast scan is a PLUS, but frankly, I run scans weekly, and it's almost always overnight, so I don't care if AV1 can scan in 40 minutes, while AV2 scans in 90 minutes.

And please, let me know if I'm chasing an imaginary product here... So far, I can't find anything that fits the bill.

Edit: Thought I'd mention, I'd prefer a HTTP scanner capable AV, but between the NAT, and Comodo's HIPS, is it neccessary?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Nobody can tell you the real right choice for you . You must do it yourself.

If you have problems with a product , you should contact company's Support and try to deal with the problem unless it appears it is program design.

If you like NOD32 as an antivirus/antimalware , try ESET Smart Security -> ESET's suit with antivirus/antispyware/anti-spam/personal firewall . Its scans are fast and light .It has an HTTP scanner , too. Its self protection is not the top , but I find it enough when there is Vista in combination with its security feautures

In thread like yours generally people will tell you their choices but this doesn't mean it is OK for you , so just try some and find the one for you.
    Remember that before you try another combination , you must make sure that all traces from the previous AV/AS or firewall are gone. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2008
  3. 031

031 Registered Member

@ entropism
    just disable or uninstall the web-antivirus module of kis . It is simply unnecessary.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Don't be put off by the local proxy issue with NOD32. It doesn't degrade your security.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This thread also very clearly falls into the A vs B category, and therefore is now closed. Please refer to this policy post if you have any questions.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.