Which is a good spyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Tru_Snoop, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

Hey guys;

I am using Spybot and Adware (but adware is giving me problems now). Is there any other good spywares out there? Where to buy them, if there are? Are there any good free ones out there? If not, I can buy it too actually......

thanks guys.

2. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta is free (at least until July):
    - Good resident real-time scanner.
    - Fast on-demand scanner.
    - Light memory load for real-time scanner.

Webroot Spy Sweeper is excellent:
    - Free for 30 days trial period - then buy.
    - Heavier memory load for real-time scanner.
    - Fast on-demand scanner.
    - 'Shields' protection concept offer some unique features.

Scans with Spybot and AdAware SE have never found any infections missed by the real-time scanner of either of the above - on my system.

I've tried SpywareDoctor, which has higher update frequency than either of the above, but:
    - Heaviest memory load for real-time scanner.
    - Some false positives.

I don't think you can go wrong with either MSAS or Spy Sweeper.

Hope this helps!

3. flyboy_4

flyboy_4 Registered Member

i use multiple

hello "Tru' for me, & maybe others, I do not use JUST 1, but use multiple programs such as SPYBOT Search & destroy, & SPYWARE BLASTER,(to keep spyware out) also SPYAD -to keep spyware & xxx site aware from Internet explore,(any version) also use GIANT antispi,& Adaware SE, NOT ALL THESE PROGRAMS ARE RUNNING ALL THE TIME,the only one that starts with computer is (auto) spyad ie, hope that helps, "flyboy"

4. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:D I myself find Spy Sweeper to be very a very consistent program. I also have Ad Aware which has not detected anything in months. Counter Spy performed well for a few months, but lately has produced numerous false positives !! Good Luck. :D

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

6. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

You could also try Intermute's SpySubtract.

7. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Does CounterSpy have something additional compared to MS Antispy (in terms of detection/removal, not on-demand features)?

8. Blackspear

From what I have read to date yes. See my post in this thread.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

9. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Hmmm and as i can see from their website:

Why buy CounterSpy when the Microsoft antispyware product is free?

Answer
    Microsoft has announced that their desktop product, Microsoft Antispyware, will be free of charge to customers. This product is currently in beta on the Microsoft website). However, Microsoft's enterprise version (providing centralized management) will be available for a fee.

So why might you buy CounterSpy if the Microsoft one is free? There are three primary reasons: Spyware definitions, support and support for older operating systems.

Definitions: Anti-spyware solutions require definition updates-signatures of known spyware and other unwanted software-that are necessary to keep the solutions up-to-date. CounterSpy benefits from multiple sources for its definitions. Because of an agreement between Sunbelt Software and Microsoft, Microsoft will provide spyware signature updates to Sunbelt through July 2007. Sunbelt also adds its own definitions through its own research team. So you get more spyware and adware detected with CounterSpy than with the Microsoft product.

Support: CounterSpy customers get the benefit of Sunbelt's toll-free technical support while under a CounterSpy subscription. Your purchase of CounterSpy includes one year of free updates and support, and subsequent annual agreements are available for the nominal price of $10 per year.

Support for older operating systems: In addition to Windows XP and 2000, CounterSpy supports Windows 98SE, Windows ME, Windows NT (with Service Pack 3, 4, or 6a) operating systems. At this time, the Microsoft beta only supports Windows 2000 and XP, and we believe it is unlikely that they will ever support the other operating systems.

In the end, though, you should make an informed decision that's comfortable for you. At $20, many consider CounterSpy to be a great value. However, you should exercise your own judgment by using both products and seeing for yourself which product performs well for your needs.

10. Blackspear

LMAO, you are indeed correct there Spanner ;) :D

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.