Which inexpensive router?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Luxeon, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I wasn't sure where to place this topic...so, here it is.
    I did do a search, and found some pretty conflicting info, and my specific question was not answered--or, the answer is several years old.

So...

I have Windows XP, ZA Pro, NOD32, Spybot, Adaware, Defender.
    I use SBC DSL with a Siemans 4100 modem. I have researched the modem, and it appears that it really is not a router--it does not have true firewall capability.

So, I would like to add a router.
    My needs are pretty simple. I don't game, I only use one computer, and do not use wireless.
    I just want a simple, reliable router to provide one extra layer of protection, in case ZA fails.

In searching, I found several suggestions, such as the Linksys BEFSR11 (some bad reviews on this one), the Netgear DG834, and a couple of others.

What simple, reliable, economical router would you suggest?

Many thanks,
    Bob

2. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

I used a Dlink DI-604 before using wireless.
    The last firmware of the DI 604 are very reliable. It has NAT and SPI firewall.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

I would also have to recommend the D-Link DI-604. You stated that you do not do wireless, so this one would be a perfect wired router for you. I have had a DI-604 for roughly 4-5 years now, have always updated firmware regularly and have never had a single issue with it. I have also assisted some friends on different occasions setting up small home networks with the DI-604 and for one small business as well. I really have never had a single issue with it. I download large movie torrents and Linux distro torrents as well with no issues. This router does have Stateful Packet Inspection as well which is great for an inexpensive router. They go for around $40 here in Canada.

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di604_reve/

Follow that link and you can see their emulator as to exactly how the firmware looks and all. It's nice and quite simple which is good. I have never used a software firewall since, and this has been the best hardware purchase I have ever made and would recommend this to anybody with a broadband connection.

Cheers,
    Dave

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Another vote for D-Link routers. Compared to the likes of Linksys, Netgear, etc., D-Link is inexpensive and they do their job very very well. :thumb:

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Another for the DI-604. Indestructible little router, with a lot of features for the money.

7. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I would find the least expensive brand-named router and use it, whether it comes with wireless or not.

If it comes with wireless, just access the configuration page and disable the wireless router (it will still work as a wired router just fine, plus if in the future you decide you need it, just re-enable the wireless portion).

8. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I´ve tested a lot of routers and the one I recommend considering it to be simple, reliable and economical, is the one all the above posters suggest: the D-Link DI-604. /Cerxes.

9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Another here for D-Link, the DI-604 version.
    Matter of fact D-Link was the first router ever recommended to me a few years ago when I started learning about routers

10. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

TP-Link TD-8840

It is very simple, cheap and very reliable with basic hardware firewall features.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I also use the D-Link 604. a very good router.

12. user12

user12 Registered Member

I would echo InfinityAz find "the least expensive brand name router".

I recently purchased the Netgear DG843 v3 (New) fairly cheap on ebay. Can't fault it as of yet. It was easy to configure and setup, got it up and running in minutes, and even upgraded the firmware (a doddle).

NetGear DG834 Product Info.

I would also advise you to get a wireless router, so you have an option to go wireless in future (as mentioned just disable the wireless function of the router for now).

Edit: Here is the link to my recent thread looking whilst looking for a router.

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm in the market for a router also. I have been keeping an eye out at newegg.com and the d-link di-604 is currently $19.99 after $10 mail-in-rebate if your interested. I still haven't made up my mind as to whether or not I want wireless. I'm glad to see nice things said about this model. It's one I have been considering. Cheers, innerpeace

14. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I always recommend the Linksys WRT54GL. They are simply the most bang for the buck, seeing as though you can load up alternate firmware's and get a ton more features, all for around $50. Also, mine has been super reliable.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

15. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

When Yoda speaks...:D

16. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I also agree with the choice of the Linux firmware based Linksys WRT54GL (it is not the same as the standard WRT54G currently found at the walk-in retail stores). You can purchase this special model of the Linksys wireless router for a few dollars more than the standard router at the popular online computer sales sites. They work great right out of the box but if you ever want to upgrade to a third party Linux firmware such as DD-WRT then it is one of the best routers to use.

If you are using a ZA product like ZAP along with the model 4100 modem from SBC (now AT&T) make sure you ADD the IP address of the modem and the router to the ZA firewall's Trusted Zone (in the ZA menu under Firewall > Zones > Add button). By default the model 4100 modem's IP address should be 192.168.0.1 and the Linksys router's default IP address should be 192.168.1.1 unless you change the router IP address to something different. Also, make sure you change the router password and enable at least the WPA or WPA2 wireless security (AES encryption recommended) if you use the wireless function and if you don't need it simply turn the wireless function completely off.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  17. noway

noway Registered Member

Tried a (Rev E) DI-604. Upgraded to 3.52 firmware. Router wouldn't keep time...kept reverting to year 2002 after entering settings manually. Also, logging was very bad (ie. columns with no spaces inbetween lol!) Also tried the DI-704P, which kept time just fine but there were no arrows to move the firewall rules up or down lol! I guess I've been spoiled by software firewalls which have no problems with these things. Or maybe they'll correct with new firmware someday. I haven't given up on trying a router but I think I'll try other brands, maybe something compatible with Wallwatcher.

18. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

I've got a belkin, I love it :)

19. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Seconded - a great router :thumb:
    Their newer GS iteration isn't as good; I'm glad I got the GL, it's worth every penny.

20. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

I need an ADSL Modem/Wireless Router as the one supplied by my ISP won't "talk" to my onboard wireless card in my nearly new Toshiba Equium. [I had to buy a 3Com dongle!]

Any suggestions, folks?

21. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

"good inexepensive router" also depends on what you do?

If you use a lot of P2P with a patched tcp/ip stack, you will choke most routers NAT tables or CPU.

I'm using external ADSL (bridged) modem and D-Link 4300 as it has one of the biggest NAT tables and one of the fastest CPUs for a relatively inexpensive router.

It doesn't choke easily, but you can get even that model to perform non-optimally if you use a lot of concurrent connections (lot of http, p2p connections, rtsp and others going on at once).

22. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I purchased the netgear dg834 (non wireless) last week so can give you some first impressions.Out of the box it looks rather cheap looking (IMO).I had some initial setup problems with it too.It seemed to initially setup i.e no problem connecting to net etc ,but then refused to let me into its config ,by continually popping up its user/password box even though i hadnt altered anything and was using the default "user" and "password"I had to then "default" it to factory settings,run setup again and this time changed the password ,and it worked ok.With it now installed and all working correctly ,i checked out its features.Its easy to navigate has nice scheduling features ,where you can block access to net after x amount of hours etc,site blocking etc.One thing i do not like is the "parental control" feature which is basically and ad for trend micro parental filter (though it does offer 1 year free).Its default MTU seems low at 1458 ,and ive changed mine to 1492 (my connections ok with no fragments using that value).Another thing to mention is that "respond to ping" is disabled by default ,which is great for full stealth at GRC ,but apparently wont allow MTUauto discovery to work so possibly may cause certain web page retrieval problems . That all said it seems to be doing its job and seems stable enough on adslmax connection ,which my last router (actiontec) couldnt handle ,with frequent disconnection results.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.