Which HIPS is apt for a novice?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jm0307, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Dear members,

Which HIPS combines ease of use for a security novice with proven effective protection?

Thank you for your input, and best wishes.

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Go here and click on the green download button. ;)

3. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Hello pvsurfer,

Thanks for the recommendation. I had come across prevx in previous posts and threads in this forum, but so many HIPSs were mentioned that I thought I ask a purely novice related question. I had looked at the websites for System Safety Monitor and DefenseWall, but thought that I might be out of my depth with these programs. Your suggestion appears to confirm this.

I am just beginning to learn the basics of security, and don't even yet fully understand all of the functions of my firewall. I am still grappling with rules creation and protocols and the like... Yet, I do want to become familiar with pc security and think that a certain level of paranoia is probably quite healthy.

Thanks again for the swift repy - a very friendly forum,

Best wishes

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

PS: I apologize PVSURFER - have just read the post after submitting and noticed that I misspelt your name - your picture... embarrassing

5. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

That's kinda funny. Back on topic, have you considered using a sandbox type app. I used sandboxie in the past and it is a good, light program and very simple to use. Many post here at Wilder's on the subject.

6. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Hello benny bronx (double checked that),

Unintended humour, I hope pvsurfer is not mad at this mishap.

Regarding sandbox applications, I have often read this term, but just had to look up what it actually means. It is my understanding that a sandbox provides a safe environment to execute unknown or unsafe programs. I am not sure whether I do need such an application, as I never knowingly download unknown programs. I fall into the safe surfer and user category. I am more concerned with adware, spyware and trojans - generally speaking, the kinds of things which might get onto the pc without my being aware of them.

Thanks though for the suggestion, and I will try to learn more about sandbox applications.

Best wishes

7. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I agree Prevx is ideal. Just set it up in ABC mode

8. steve161

Sandboxie can be used as a security tool for simple browsing. Right click on your default browser, choose "run sandboxed", and you're off. You will surf as you normally would, but everything done is contained in a sandboxed folder(cookies, spyware, trojans, etc.). After you are finished, you may recover any files you want from the sandbox, manually delete the sandbox, or have the program set for automatic delete when program is closed. I would not say this app is bulletproof(are any?), but it has very good reviews from members of this forum. The program is small and free, after 30 days it will display a small nag screen politely asking for a donation to the dev.

I should add that this is only one of many security solutions, and I am by no means as knowledgable as many other members on this forum. Also, ironically, I stopped using Sandboxie in favor of Powershadow; Go figure.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Hi,jm0307: Prevx1 is an ideal HIPS type app for you, just like me; an idiot; layman etc. If you are in market for a sandbox/virtualization app, you may want to explore this one: DeepFreeze standard. It has only three options; thawed, freeze and clone. It is so simple that any pupils in elementary school can use it w/o bothering their teachers. But the trade off is that you will lose some flexibility. IMO, it is fair. Good luck.

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello All,

I agree with all who endorse Prevx1:thumb: Fantastic product!

Take Care
    Rico

11. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Thanks for the input Huwge.

I like this concept. Can prevx be combined with sandboxie, in addition to an AV and a firewall?

12. steve161

I don't use Prevx so I am not sure there, but your firewall should still intercept anything going in and out of your comp, an your av should still react to malware writing to the HD in the sandbox.

13. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

I think all community based HIPS : Prevx and Online Armor are easier to use for beginner.

MaB

14. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

MaB69, Perman and Rico, thanks.

Sounds like prevx is a solid recommendation endorsed by all replies.

Regarding a sandbox, I am a little confused: Powershadow, DeepFreeze, Sandboxie...

Which one is the easiest to configure and causes the least conflicts?

15. pvsurfer

Don't sweat it - actually I never noticed, as it was time for my nap... Hmm on 2nd thought maybe it's time to change my avatar! ;)

16. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Thanks to all members for the great feedback - very friendly forum.

Have just downloaded prevx and am merely waiting to hear from my firewall forum on configuration recommendations before I will install it.

I must confess that I was reluctant to ask the outlining question in case it would have started one of those zealous comparisons of which quite a few can be found in the AV section, and which would have left me very confused and undecided in the end. Prevx appears to be unanimously endorsed.

I will also check out the sandbox applications which were recommended.

Best wishes

17. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Prevx is good choice. You can also try Cyberhawk.

I am very satisfied with this product.

18. steve161

Both sandboxie and Powershadow are extremely easy to configure and use, and I had no conflicts with either. I don't know about Deepfreeze, but Perman's word is good for me. I mentioned sandboxie because it is freeware/shareware and is, I believe, a little more flexible than the others. You can move in and out of sandboxed mode without the need to reboot, and can recover sandboxed files if you'd like. That is why I think it is a good starting program for someone new to this. Many will have differering yet legitimate opinions about this, so it really comes down to to what fits the needs of the user.

19. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm going to ditch Prevx1 after the trial period.
    I like Prevx1 very much and it's one of the first userfriendly HIPS softwares and I like its concept too.
    Unfortunately it doesn't fit in my frozen snapshot.
    Softwares like Anti-Executable, DefenseWall, Sandboxie, ... do fit in my frozen snapshot, because they don't require signature updatings, only program updatings.
    They also prevent installation/execution of infections and that's what I need.
    I don't need security softwares that remove infections, my frozen snapshot takes care of that.
    If you have to remove infections, you are already too late.

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

If there would be a contest about who is using most often the words "frozen snaphot" you will be defenitely the winner.
    But seriously: When you are using Frozen Snapshot do you need Prevx1 and/or Anti-exec. and/or Defensewall and/or Sandboxie and/or whatever.
    Or is Frozen Snapshot the only thing you need?
    Might be a stupid question but I still don't understand it completely.
    Best,

Gerard

22. pvsurfer

Erik~

Doesn't your method of operation also remove infections (by rebooting your system)? And in doing that, do you not remove all changes (good and bad) to your system? Of course it all depends on what you typically do on your computer and your system configuration. Based on my daily activities and my system configuration, I would find your m.o. impossible - but whatever works, works. ;)

~pv

23. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Hi Perman,

I am not too keen on the term 'idiot', I deem it uncharitable - I prefer computing challenged, but computing hilarious is also acceptable. ;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    None, but if you must, you could try DefenseWall and Online Armor.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.