which has/is the best ...almost unbreachable HIPS to date..?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by thathagat, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subset

subset Registered Member

I can't find a single standalone/classical HIPS test there (EQS, RTD/PS, SSM etc.), just outdated tests of Firewalls and Suites.

Do you really recommend this site for HIPS tests, no mistake?

Cheers

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I'm not going to argue with you. I just said my opinion based on my personal experience and I do not want that anybody was misled by testmysecurity. All you say has nothing to do with the quolity of testing and reliability of the results. "Equal opportunities" do not make it more valid or more professional.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

How well HIPS can protect you, and how well it does against tests, is extremely dependent on how it's configured. My experience with HIPS is limited to SSM, both versions, so I can't comment on how other HIPS perform. Most of them get evaluated pretty hard with more comprehensive test procedures than those lousy "leaktests". Barring major flaws that are undetected at the moment, the classic HIPS give the user enough control over their system to prevent its being compromised.

Classic HIPS are enforcement tools. They don't differentiate between good and malicious, necessary and unneeded, etc. They enforce rules. The default rules are seldom good enough to completely protect any system. There's too many variables for that to be possible. If the users security policy is sufficient to keep malicious code from running and their system and security apps (not just HIPS) are configured well enough to enforce that policy, a PC can be made nearly bulletproof. Classic HIPS do not directly protect or secure a PC. They give the user the power and control to secure it to the limits of their skills and knowlege.

4. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

If you read the results it shows that not all OA versions prevents the same things.. Some earlier versions prevent things that the later version does not, and Vice versa.

5. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

I know: that's why they should do the same with all the other firewalls :cautious:

6. Kyle1420

I have made a post regarding this and I will get back to you with the most info as I can here.

7. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

8. Kyle1420

Yes, No mistake- tests code injection,termination,creation, autostart etc etc etc - If you are a user of EQS etc.. Can you please join, + submit your results? Much appreciated.
    You can take the tests without signing up and submitting.. But it helps other users if you do :)

@leolas, Very much welcome. I'll get an answer from the horses mouth for you.

9. Kyle1420

Talked to CEO, this was his reponse

10. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Melih's reputation goes far ahead his title. I'd recommend to say "Talked to Melih, this was his response". Then many people would just laugh :)

11. Kyle1420

Come again?

12. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Information is only valuable when it is accurate. Melih used to be known as agressive and demagogic type, which is untipical for CEO in general. This is why to be accurate you need to specify what CEO you talked to.

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Thanks for pulling in your personal agenda and ad hominem junk and killing this thread. :thumbd:

14. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This thread is about "best" HIPS, so it is blind alley from the very beginning. There is not unbiased way to say which HIPS is the best. Though, some hints can be got from some tests. In general any tests are also biased (intentionally or not), for one because they use some restricted set of tests, for two because they are performed by human being. But testmysecurity is the worsest and most biased and misleading project I ever saw. I can repeat once again the facts people should know about testmysecurity before to make any decision:

1.) different products tested by different people is nonsense.
    2.) different products tested at the different systems, accompanied by nobody knows what other products is nonsense
    3.) old versions of the same product included in the same result sheet is nonsense
    4.) and finally CEO who invented _this_ and continue to advocate and support _this_ should be named.

This is about the thread. My main point is the whole thread is incorrect. Instead of answering the original question it tuned into popularity poll and it can mislead a person who can try to make decision based on some links provided in THIS thread.

15. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Perhaps you should read more carefully next time before making similar remarks which contribute nothing to the topic in question?

How he wasn't named in the first place?

16. Kyle1420

Let's move on from this as I'm not very interested to know Alex_S's response anyway.

17. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Actually, he was. I'm very very sorry :)

18. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

19. Kyle1420

Ok Thank you :) Most users here won't be able to view those topics.
    I will get the whip out and find out whats going on :) find out whens the next update. Get back to you soon!

edit:
    Ok, From what I have read - there is no need to include other verions of comodo since they achieve the same result (explains why *.309 is there and not *.378 of comodo because they achieve the same results.) This shows the progress of the app, for example it's showing that OA has improved (Y). Tests results will be updated as soon new tests are created or users review and submit the results.

Hope this clears it up for you! and thanks for getting me thinking & asking questions :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  20. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

What's going on is quite obvious. Dirrefent rules are applied to different products. You can ask one of the testmysecurity testers Ailef why OA result that was better than Comodo result was never published by testmysecurity.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  21. Kyle1420

Can you please link me to the proof of this please.

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Ailef is this link. He made that test. Ailef is testmysecurity tester. I think you also can find him at Comodo forum.

23. Brother Esau

Brother Esau Registered Member

You Can't? What about Process Guard or AppDefend they are Both Programed by Jason Annice a Brilliant Programmer and the Creater of the First H.I.P.S ever Released to the world>>>>>>.PROCESS GUARD

24. Kyle1420

False, He never said that As I've done some looking into this.

Do not make up claims about something just because you like it's "rival" You should be more worried about improving and helping out with it then degrading another.

25. 3xist

3xist Guest

I guess this thread will be locked pretty soon... Kyle don't worry mate. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.