Which free firewall with avast 7.?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by The Red Moon, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello.
    Ive been thinking about using avast free antivirus as it look s a good choice.
    Problem im having is choosing a firewall to go with it because it seems to be causing problems with most of them.
    Any ideas or suggestions please.?
    Thanks.

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I have added NVT EXE Radar Pro and Windows 7 Firewall.

3. The Red Moon

Any issues between avast and windows firewall.?
    NVT exe radar pro....is that a free program.?
    Thanks.

4. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Pro is paid with lifetime license. There is free version too but it looks like it will be abandoned.
    Win7 is quiet and set on default (allow all outbound).

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I've tried and tested the following firewalls with Avast!...

Comodo Firewall,
    Online Armor,
    Outpost Firewall Pro,
    Privatefirewall
    Windows Firewall

All of these combos worked...no problems

6. The Red Moon

At the moment im running the entire comodo suite together and it is very light.
    I may just stick with the full suite .I dont know how good the comodo av is but it seems effective enough and has stopped everything ive thrown at it.
    Thanks for the input.

7. Tyrizian

Comodo Internet Security provides great protection. I've tested it myself and indeed it will catch pretty much anything, as well as taking up very little resources.

Good choice :thumb:

But, if you ever decide to use the avast! and firewall combo, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

8. The Red Moon

Thanks .
    I like this suite its very light and seems very effective.:thumb:
    Cant seem to find any clear info on the av,s effectiveness..tests etc.
    But yes its a great program and its free amazingly lol..

9. Tyrizian

Some people seem to think the AV component is crap, but a lot of those people who say that are ones who haven't used it in quite a while.

The AV has definitely improved and is quite strong.

If you're a tester, throw some malware at it (Enable AV only) and you'll be quite happy with the detection rate.

10. ichito

ichito Registered Member

PC Tolls FW is a good firewall for working with Avast...I have such combo - it's light, effective, silent :thumb:

11. Tyrizian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PCTools stop supporting/discontinue their firewall product?

12. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Correct.

13. Tyrizian

Ok, thought so...thanks :thumb:

14. ichito

ichito Registered Member

And what is wrong with this? People still are using 3-4 or even 7-8 years old firewalls like free Kerio, Sygate, Ashampoo, Filscelab, Outpost, Rising, NetVeda and so on...look at the Look'n'Stop...do you realy must have the latest/newest versions which mainly bring only support for Win8?

15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Exactly :thumb:

16. Tyrizian

Maybe it was the way I worded it, in which I can see why you took it the way you took it.

I wasn't going against people who use discontinued software...I was simply just asking if it had been discontinued or not.

I wasn't for certain and was simply looking for the real answer

17. fax

fax Registered Member

Not an optimal approach as you are more likely to be exposed to undisclosed software vulnerabilities that, in supported security software, are normally taken care as priority items and not necessarily published in release history documents (for obvious reasons) unless already disclosed publicly by third parties. ;)

18. The Red Moon

Anyway im back with kaspersky..seems to provide solid protection and is not heavy on my system.:thumb:

19. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If you're using the Web Shield with Avast, I recommend Comodo FW 5.12 or later. Reason being, the update to 5.12 from 5.10 was specifically to address an incompatibility between Avast's Web Shield and outbound FW's. It's a problem that exists with many outbound FW's & Avast, not just Comodo. Or at least "did", due to the way the Web Shield deploys itself, like a proxy. I have no idea if Avast changed things so that the problem no longer persists with all outbound FW's or not. But I do know that Comodo specifically addressed this problem so it would play nicely with theirs. And I don't know if that's the case with any other outbound FW personally... so I would go with Comodo if I were using the Web Shield in Avast.

I see that you already decided you were going in a different direction, but this was for anyone else in your situation. And also if you decided to change your mind.

And I would apply the same logic if I were using Avira's Web Guard as well. AFAIK, it is deployed in an almost identical manner. That and I used Avira along side Comodo for years and they worked well together... though that was with the File Guard only.

I have an installer for Comodo FW/D+ 5.12 laying around just in case I ever decide to use Avast or Avira again with the web scanning components. I can definitely see Avast Free w/ File, Web & Script Shields + Comodo 5.12 being a light, formidable & stable combo.

20. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Already covered in my other threads.

The choice I made was OP Suite Free.

Very powerfull combo and the price is right. Only thing is you must install Avast first and then only have one HIPS working (I chose OP's HIPS) and then have each exclude the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.