Which Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lrtrees, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lrtrees

lrtrees Registered Member

If you do not mind I would like to ask what firewall software you are currently using and why you like it? I do not care if it is free or not.
    Hope that is not to broad of a question.
    I am currently using Kerio 4.1.3. I like it pretty well, but it seem to get talked down quit abit here which makes me wonder if it is a wise choice.

Thanks,
    Lon

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I'm also using Kerio 4.1.3 and am completely happy with it. I have tried many many other free firewalls and a few paid-for ones, including Zone Alarm, Sygate, Jetico, Filseclab, Outpost, R-Firewall, Kerio 2.1.5, Softperfect, Look'n'Stop, a-wall, b-wall, and several others that I have probably forgotten. I started off looking for an alternative to Kerio 4.1.2 and after trying them all, I am back with Kerio 4.1.3, so that says it all as far as I'm concerned.

If you're happy with it, stay with it as it's as good all-round as all the others and, when they get this good, it's only personal opinion which separates them.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

my thoughts exactly. secondly u might want to browse this poll/thread:

What Firewall do you use?

Im sure many of people who responded also put their reason for choosing tehir firewall. as for me i use outpost since it has preset rules for many programs and if it doesnt i can either create my own rules or just allow/deny all (like in zonealarm or sygate). it offers plugins tho i only use the attack detection and it has a good gui IMHO.

4. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Hi!

I also use kerio 4.1.3. Have tried almost *all* firewalls out there! But i find kerio the best. Its ad blocking is the best there is. The protection offered is also very good. Its a bit noisy though!

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have used Kerio 4.1.x and 4.2 beta and like them, but I think the reason Kerio 4.x gets a bad name is due to it's buggy nature. In the 4.2 beta series, each release has had bugs, some were fixed in subsequent releases, and more were always introduced. So it seems that 4.2 will never be finished if they can't squash all the bugs for good. 4.2 has been in beta for many months now.

Also, many people prefer a firewall that's light on resources, and Kerio 4.x isn't among the lightest ones. In fact 4.2 is getting up there pretty high in ram usage.

There are probably other criticisms too. Logging is terrible, especially in 4.1.x.

Just a few things which might make people stay away from it.

I think the basic firewall and SPI is pretty good though. :)

6. squash

squash Registered Member

I use CHX-I. Only.

I use no other firewall - No Windows firewall, no Kerio, no other, I don't need outbound because I never get spyware or trojans and I'm not stupid enough to let that happen.

Minimalism works for me and CHX-I has never let me down. No need for a firewall sucking up resources, as the main purpose of a firewall is to make sure you are stealth and block unsolicitored packets - nothing else. No need for unwanted features like IDS, Block cookies etc... In fact the only thing reguardless of security app or not in my system tray is avast! and internet connection icon.

I have used Kerio 2.15, ZoneAlarm 5, LnS and Windows XP firewall. Nothing comes close to CHX-I.

100% recommended for advanced computer geeks or nerds. :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

CHX-I with Avast is great. If I was running a firewall now, it would be CHX-I.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am still useing Kerio 2.1.5 It has always worked very well and as long as it does I guess I will keep it.

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Irtrees.....

Go with advice given in here, stick to what you know/like/happy with.

Cheers, TAS

for the record, I use...............................................

Attached Files:

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Using CHX with Jammer and Antihook for outbound protection, my system never felt better, have tried out almost all the major firewalls out there, all have their pros and cons, CHX scores over all of them in my case.

11. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Arup, I went over to Agnitum and it shows a download trial for jammer but it doesn't look like its for sale anymore. I wonder if the trial will just keep working after the trial period?

Regards,

Jaws

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  12. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

+1, I'm also using Kerio 4.1.3 and completely happy with it. I have tried many other firewalls.

13. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Lon, Hello
    Why go with the rest when you can have the best!!
    Outpost by Agnitum
    http://www.agnitum.com/
    Check it out you wont be disappointed ;)

14. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

Outpost isn't the best. Please, check your internet web surfing speed with and without outpost. you'll see dramatic differences.

15. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Kerio 4.2 beta RC3
    very happy and no problems at all

16. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

I've tested and reviewed all the firewalls mentioned
    here above (it's my job) EXCEPT: CHX-I !

1) I prefer a firewall that is not in my pc's (hardware/ or in router)
    like Cisco Pix etc.
    2) The best firewall on Windows XP (software) that i have tested was:
    Tiny Personal Firewall 2005 Pro (tinysoft is bought by C.A. this week i have heard)

Tiny Personal Firewall 2005 Pro is not as difficult to configure as the previous versions, and has lot of extra features:
    It can protect processes like DCS ProcessGuard, protect files, protect registry. it has IDS, integrity checking,registry protection etc. etc.

AND:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Track'n Reverse - Undo The Harm

Imagine the world where you can turn the clock back. Imagine the situation where you can - by a simple mouse click - repair all damage caused by the application accidentally started on your computer. Imagine all files and registry entries being put back in order like nothing happened ever before.

Track'n Reverse is a unique engine - capability - literally allowing turning the clock back. Track'n Reverse allows to undo all changes to files and registry (the most important parts of your system) done by selected application or any application started (spawned child applications).

Track'n Reverse engine is particularly suitable to protect the computer against the malicious spyware and trojans brought with the installations of various software programs. Install the trial software, look what it does and when you want to get rid of it click a mouse and see Track'n Revert cleaning your computer reverting all changes to your files, registry and completely wiping up the application from your computer.

Whenever you do not trust the vendor of the application or you want to uninstall particular application like it would have never been on your computer before you can count on Track'n Reverse to keep your computer clean.

Technical Note:
    Track'n Reverse feature requires as much of a free space on your hardrive as big the volume of replaced/modified files will be. Also if the application makes entry into a common log file and another application would make subsequent entries when applying Track'n Reverse all changes made by other applications subsequent to the entries made by your selected application will be lost. Plan before enabling and using Track'n Reverse feature for selected application.
    -------------------------------------------------------

If you are looking for a firewall-only this is not the thing you like.
    I have tested this with Shadowuser and NOD32,Regrun Gold
    and SpySweeper OR CounterSpy for on-demand..
    nice , very nice.

But again, if you want to spend money on a firewall only
    buy a hardware firewall, it doesn't use system resources, difficult to get
    it disabled by malware on your system etc.

17. Muchinga

Muchinga Registered Member

Jetico is "THE FIREWALL".
    I have got two licences (Norton and Outpost) but I only use Jetico.
    I love Jetico! :D :D :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  18. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Very Fast With Outpost!!
    And No Change Without it!!
    I have heard some folks have this little ditty[I dont]

19. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Outpost didn't slowed my computer down too. I used it for a long time and it truely is a superb firewall.

Tiny2005 seems to be one of the fastest firewalls that I've tried. ok, you will have to learn the way it's set up but the firewall (browsing experience, rule creation is still one of the best things. Browsing seems to be a lot faster with Tiny then with the rest of firewalls I tried.

I liked look n stop too. With the filterset of Phant0m it did a splendid job behind my router, fast too.
    Just my two cents :)

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

A very happy Outpost Pro user... ;)

NetVeda Safety.Net for a free firewall...

21. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Is Tiny a one off fee, or a yearly fee ? I've been using ZA free for a while now, but Tiny is the one other firewall that has interested me.

22. BlackHawk1

BlackHawk1 Registered Member

Kerio or Tiny.

23. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Kerio 4 on my machine.

Netveda on wife's and kid's.

I came to Kerio after repeated and damaging BSODs with Outpost Pro (to which I hold a lifetime license) over several installations on several machines. OP seems to work ok on some systems & not on others - that seems to be true of most firewalls (including Kerio 4).

Kerio has worked flawlessly since I installed it back in March: it's never missed a beat. It worked fine on my wife's machine prior to my installing Netveda.

I am watching Netveda closely and so far (nearly 2 months) I am very impressed. The free version offers a lot of features - I think it's one to watch.

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I recommend "ZoneAlarm Free" :

1. It's free of charge, so you won't regret your money, if it didn't protect your computer.
    2. It's ready after installation and easier to understand for typical users.
    3. It keeps the unskilled intruders away from your computer, like any other firewall.
    4. It is made of the same straw, that is used in other firewalls.

Any firewall is vulnerable and there are other ways to break into your computer, because the worst bad guys are also very smart.

That's why I created a VERY BORING and IMPERSONAL harddisk for intruders.
    I removed all my personal files from my harddisk, except the ones, I'm working on.
    I removed all my personal data from my harddisk, except my email-address, first name and initials.
    This way, I'm also able to re-install my harddisk from scratch at any time.

Why would a smart intruder waste his time on my computer, when there are so many other interesting computers in the world ?

25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u like application based firewalls and lack of development isnt an issue then maybe sygate will suit u well. it offers IDS/IPS and a fair amount of option and from what ive heard, it logs very well. i prefer it over ZA, but im not here to debate, solely to provide some alternatives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.