Which Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by whitedragon551, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I currently use Comodo without Defense + on. I also use Avira Antivir. Im thinking about switching from Comodo to a lighter FW. I play alot of games and need as many resources as possible.

Any others that are just at good at protection without being annoying?
    Any others have a user interface that is as easy and straight forward?
    Any others have ARP, SPI, etc detection?
    Any others have the ability to stealth ports that arent used?

I have checked Matousec, but it doesnt give the answers Im looking for.

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Are you wanting a free one?

3. whitedragon551

Free would be fantastic, but for the right interface and options Ill consider pay.

4. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I run Vistax64 like you, so it narrows your options. I use Comodo (firewall only) myself also, but am seriously considering trying out Look n Stop http://www.looknstop.com/En/index2.htm
    Private Firewall didn't work on my x64 rig. Jetico is light I think http://www.jetico.com/firewall-jetico-personal-firewall/ I am not sure if Outpost free is any lighter than Comodo with defense plus disabled.

5. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Have you ever considered implementing the Microsoft Vista Ultimate two way firewall, or, at minimum, the inbound protection?

HKEY1952

6. whitedragon551

Not really. It does poorly in all reviews.

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

8. whitedragon551

I have 3Gbs. It will take up to 4. I can send you my Paypal if you want. $40 sound good? I just havent dropped the money for it yet since I dont have it. Hence the reason free would be fantastic.

Jetico doesnt really have a very nice, streamlined interface. Its rather ugly just look Look N Stop.

9. HKEY1952

Do not go by reviews, go by your own experience.....try it.....if it is not to your satisfaction, then you know.

HKEY1952

10. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

They don't have an attractive gui. That vista x64 firewall control has a free and paid version. It's gui is extremely easy, not pretty but simple. It uses the same api as vista firewall, just makes it easier to control app access.

11. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I agree with HKEY1952, Matousec puts those firewalls through a gauntlet of tests, and a lot of those tests do not pertain to what a pure firewall does. I think most people will tell you that Look n Stop is an excellent firewall for example, but look how poorly they do on Matousec.

12. whitedragon551

This is a mix between security and the above mentioned things. Windows built in firewall doesnt cover security.

What about Outpost Pro? Anyone have any info on the amount of resources that it uses?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  13. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Private Firewall has a nice gui and is simple. The x64 version doesn't have a process monitor, which sounds like you don't want anyway. I couldn't get it to block access to anything on my x64 machine, but it may work on yours. If you have sp2 installed the memory usage is very low.

14. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I think about the same as Comodo with defense plus turned off.

15. HKEY1952

It most certainly does cover security, however, I will not try to convince you otherwise whitedragon551. I will only leave you with this:
    My test computer has no active or installed firewall or antivirus for over seven months now.....no problems, no attacks, fast computer, all behind an Firewall Router.
    For peace of mind, at least implement the Vista Firewall inbound protection.....have fun gamming!

HKEY1952

16. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I would add this suggestion. If your games that you are playing are not online, then just disable your network connection then turn Comodo off and then play your game. That is of course if the game is not online. Other than that I don't know of any other firewalls other than what I have suggested for x64 Vista that come close to what you want.

17. whitedragon551

Im going to give Agnitum Outpost Pro a try. I keep getting an error though at install along with an unsigned driver.

18. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

How did Outpost workout?

19. whitedragon551

Im currently testing it. It has a nice interface. Fairly easy to use. Has a few more features than Comodo did.

20. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I would have suggested it, but thought you wanted one lighter than that.

21. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Maybe,PCTools is a good choice.But just PCTools 5.0.Because my friend used PCTools 6.0,and felt annoyed.
    6.0 is not stabler than 5.0.

22. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Yeh but... PC Tools 5.0 isn't x64 compatible

23. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

may i ask what the problem with windows firewall is?
    if its not broken, dont fix it.

24. entropism

entropism Registered Member

At this point, considering the OP was using Comodo with D+ turned off, he's not worried about a HIPS too much. I'd suggest Rising FW, to be honest. GUI is nice and clean, it works well, it's light, and no HIPS.

25. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No problem, but since it's free, it doesn't need to advertise marketing gimmicks like "advanced" and "100%". As so, people feel less secure with it and view it as inferior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.