Which firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by z7x8c9, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z7x8c9

z7x8c9 Registered Member

A few years back I was a fan of Kerio 2.1.5 but then I switched to Outpost (I really don't remember why).

I currently use Outpost but it's a bit of a memory hog, at 27MB in memory.

I've been searching for a good firewall that's light on resources and the first that came to mind was the Kerio 2.1.5 but all that rule setup turned me down.

In short, I'm looking for a firewall to replace my Outpost that's light on resources and that's good at preventing leak tests. I am behind a NAT router I more concerned with outbound connections altough I sometimes take my laptop and connect it to public networks.

Also one question about the Kerio 2.1.5, how does it detect (if it detects..., I seem to remember that it could detect, just asking for confirmation) that a virus or some other malware applications is sending data, for example, for port 80 (which is allowed in a rule)

What firewalls do you recommend having in mind two key points:
    - lighweight on resources
    - good preformance on leak tests

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

considering those to conditions id say jetico. it did the best at Firewall Leak Tester. hopefully youre familiar with rules tho, because it can be quite powerful and complex to configure (for tight security).

looknstop is quite easier than jetico but its not as good with leaktests. in teh latest Firewall Leak Tester its score was tied with outpost.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  3. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Are Jetico and Look 'n' Stop easier to setup than Kerio 2.1.5? I guess not.

A firewall easier to setup than Kerio 2.1.5, using less resources than Outpost, and good at preventing leak tests......I am looking for it too.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

are u asking me or z7x8c9?

well i never tried kerio and i barely tried jetico, but i think kerio and looknstop might be equal in ease of use. for looknstop u can try phant0ms ruleset and for kerio u can use BZ's ruleset. theyre both light and they dont have lots of extra "bell and whistles".

jetico is a whole 'nother beast as it has some HIPS-type functionality.

5. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

What I really mean is that, the firewall z7x8c9 looking for is not there yet:)

6. z7x8c9

z7x8c9 Registered Member

I guess I'm searching for a mythical firewall :D

I don't mind setting up rules if that's the only way to have a good lightweight firewall.... I just wish there was something... simpler :)

- Do you think Outpost is the best of it's kind (simple to configure)?
    - How does Jetico and Kerio compare?
    - What class does Comodo belong to:
    Simple to configure but uses a lot of resources group (as Outpost)​
    Or hard to configure but lightweight on resources group (as Kerio and Jetico).​

If the best simple firewall is Outpost, I think I'll make the effort to switch to a firewall in the likes of Kerio and Jetico (just a question of finding out which, in this class, is better...)

7. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 is actually a very simple firewall, as it involves net traffic control only. Firewalls nowadays often includes much more functions than that, and thus more complicated. One feels rule making difficult just because one lacks the knowledge of internet fundamentals. Without such knowledge, any firewall is not much better than Windows default firewall.

If Outpost takes only 27MB memory, I do not think it is a resource hog at all. Many firewalls easily take much more than that. I used Outpost Pro 2.5 for about one year, but I did not try more recent versions. With the log turned off, Outpost uses much less memory. If you have not turned off the log, you probably can consider it if you really want to save memory. Outpost has the good reputation of easy configuration. But ZoneAlarm Free is even easier to configure. So it is hard to say.

Jetico is definitely much more complicated than Kerio. You can get an idea of it by reading https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=121009.

8. z7x8c9

z7x8c9 Registered Member

I disabled logging in Outpost and memory used dropped to around 4 MB. I Have to say I don't use all the other features of Outpost (all plugins are disabled).

That was a great tip. I like Outpost, it's a fairly good firewall... my only complaint was the memory usage... but now, I think I'm gonna keep it instead of trying Kerio or Jetico (which may be better that Outpost but harder to configure). I just don't have the time/patience/energy to configure rule based firewalls like I used to have... :D

Thanks

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

My experience with my OutPost Pro is the same as yours listed above. My logging is off and only attack detection and Spyware realtime is on. Otherwise the resource uesage is a little high for me. Behind a NAT Router as well.

We are also of the same opinion on rule based firewalls. ;)

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what about eiether turning off the antispyware on outpost firewall or getting lavasoft personal firewall. lavasoft personal firewall is basically outpost with out the bellls and wistles and only uses about 5mb ram

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

You might want to try Outpost 4.0 due for release late July. You can compare the new features with 4.0 and 3.5 before you decide which to choose from.

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Outpost doesn't seem to use that much memory on my computer. Maybe 10-15 megs at most. I find it a very good firewall and very light in resources.

Attached Files:

• task.JPG
      task.JPG
      File size:
      39.5 KB
      Views:
  13. inoesomestuff

inoesomestuff Registered Member

Ive been using kerio v4x (last ver before sunbelt took over) and recently switched to jetico. Ive also used kerio v2x. v2 i think the hard part would be importing the filters. i liked v4 cuz it had a nice GUI and made it simple to make changes and specify what you wanted but i think importing lists were harder. Jetico is like a combination of the two, it has a decent GUI (though with MUCH steeper learning curve) and its interface is very simple like kerio v2. Jetico right now is using up 7.6MB of ram (with additional 4.6MB of vram) so its relativly lightweight compared to kerio v4 or outpost

14. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Outpost's RAM usage depends on configuration. I use 2 plugins (AC, AT), logging is disabled and it takes about 4-12 MB. I would like to use Jetico, since it is freeware, but I am "scared", that it is not going to be updated, so when I am move to Vista, I would have to move to another.

15. inoesomestuff

inoesomestuff Registered Member

the company that makes jetico also makes several other products, some of which are paid so im sure they will port it over to vista, plus it probably wont be out for a while anyways =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.