Which firewall with F-secure AV

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zerotox, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Hi guys. Been wondering specifically between Privatefirewall and Outpost Pro. Anyone that have tried them on a computer running F-secure AV?

2. guest

guest Guest

I had for a couple of weeks Comodo Fw and F secure 2012 beta installed without any issue.
    If you are on x64 and you only want to choose btw PrivateFW (privatefw x64 hips is quite far of the features of the x86 hips) and outpost pro, I recommend you Outpost pro.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  3. zerotox

I'm on WIN7 Ultimate 32 bit. For me Comodo is out of the question, so I'm choosing only between Private FW and Outpost Pro.

4. guest

guest Guest

Try both they are quite the same regarding to security but privatefw is free

5. zerotox

On installation, Outpost detects F-secure IS (though I have the AV only) and states it's incompatible, with no option to continue installation, except to uncheck the tick from the detected F-secure window.

6. guest

guest Guest

Privatefw should work, and if not I'm sure that at least with Fsecure 2012 CIS works fine

7. zerotox

Tried Private FW but again this stupid bug with leaving port 135 open. Last time I managed to close it but this time no matter what rules and tricks I made, no luck. For me it's always been not very stable, neither logically set for settings and rule creation. Ohterwise it was OK with F-secure AV. No conflicts that I could see. Seems like I'll be staying with my WIN7 firewall with outbound on. Have to think of adding something to F-secure, my Prevx license is running out shortly and being with just an AV is a bit uncomfortable for me, though Applocker and SUA is a good reinforcement.

8. guest

guest Guest

What is the problem with Comodo? if you install it without the av you will add a Firewall, an HIPS (with the biggest whitelist that I have tested), a Coud AV, a Cloud Behavior Blocker and a Sandbox. If you want it even lighter try this: https://forums.comodo.com/install-s...no-antivirus-no-trusted-vendors-t74633.0.html
    You can also add trusteer rapport for browser security and EMET.
    http://www.trusteer.com/product/trusteer-rapport
    http://malwareresearchgroup.com/malware-tests/
    That would be a quite solid configuration.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  9. zerotox

I don't do online banking and I don't buy online, so in this case I don't think I need Trusteer, plus the free version had some limitations as far as I can recall. Comodo I don't use primarily because of buggy uninstall process and general instability when I was using it 6 months ago. Maybe it has improved since then but I'm still held back by the difficult uninstall.

10. guest

guest Guest

Trusteer rapport is not just for banking, it protects your passwords in any website that you tell him, the only limitation of the free version is that is not preconfigured for some banks, but I don't consider this a limitation since you can add any website to be protected just with 1 click.

I have never had any problem uninstalling Comodo, maybe you had a punctual problem, but it's as easy to uninstall like any other software.

If you don't wanna give another chance to Comodo other alternative is Pctools
    http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

11. zerotox

Thank you very much for your time and advices. I'll think it over, may be I'll give Comodo another try and see for myself. I have licenses for other AVs and suits as well but so far F-secure AV is performing very well for me, and I really like that it doesn't have any Http scanner in it!

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

One approach:
    Try a simple FW. Namely, LnS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another possible approach:
    1-Make an Image of your system drive.
    2-Uninstall F-secure
    3-Install Outpost Pro (OPP) FW
    4-Exit OPP
    5-Install F-secure. Enter OPP in all of F-secure's exclusion lists.
    6-Restart OPP & put into Learn mode
    7-Update F-secure. Do a quickie scan with F-secure. See if OPP learns & tolerates.

If the OPP/F-secure combo bombs out, load the Image you made at step #1. Poof! No problema.

13. zerotox

Thanks for your detailed advice bellgamin. But I don't have time for this and the PC is used not only by me, so I can not afford something going wrong. I changed my AV and now my set-up is OK - strong and nimble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.