Which firewall should I choose?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gracie123, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I am going on a trip soon out of state and I want to take my laptop with me. However, being that at home I am behind a router I do not feel the need to have a software firewall but I plan to connect via the Wi-Fi at the hotel I'll be staying at.

By doing so, I think I would need a software firewall. Is this correct? If so, could someone recommend me one? I've used Outpost and ZoneAlarm but I really want opinions on which firewall out there I should get for connecting via Wi-Fi at a hotel and if possible, a guide on helping set it up for max security not just out of the box settings unless they're safe enough :).

Thank you,

Gracie

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Just my .02. Sounds like this is only a temporary situation. Figuring you are running XP or Vista, I would just enable the built-in firewall.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Long as your Administrator account password is not left blank, and you keep your Windows up to date...the built in Windows firewall works fine.

Or if you wish to stay behind NAT...most of the common broadband router manufacturers also make small portable NAT routers for people who travel, some external, some are even USB or PCMCIA based. Basically just a tiny little NAT router designed for travel....you can use in your hotel rooms wired datajack.

For secure public hotspot use....many services are out there which you can use to secure your traffic. Basically they're all just VPN or proxy setups you use, which hide your traffic. Anchorfree "hot spot shield" was one of them.
    http://anchorfree.com/

Or if you have a VPN setup at work..just use that, it's what I do. I get to a hot spot..and fire up my VPN connection to my office or home...and proceed to surf and do my stuff from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.