which firewall(s) need(s) to go?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have high speed internet and my modem (netopia) has a built in firewall. But the modem is fairly old and when I set up a wireless router (belkin) in my home I had to keep the old modem and connect it to the new wirekess router- and then the new router to my computer. The new router has a built in firewall as well. And in Windows 7 I have the Windows firewall enabled.

I have another desktop and a laptop that also connect to the wireless router.

I have noticed some slower surfing speed (even when the other two computers are not connected to the internet) and pages download slower and sometimes have to be reloaded to download completely. I am assuming 3 firewalls for incoming traffic is a bit much. Which should be disabled?

The firewall built in with the high speed modem is probably 6-7 years old. But it is also the first line of defense. The new wireless router stands between all the computers in the home and the high speed modem. And finally there are firewalls turned on in each of the computers when they are running.

Which firewalls should be disabled?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I'm not sure that is the FWs to blame. Try disabling each in turn (starting with router first maybe). Check logs (computers router modem) in case they offer more clues

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I disabled the firewall in the router and it seemed to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.