which firewall/router ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Jagon, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jagon

Jagon Registered Member

Hi
    I am looking at buying a firewall/router to add to my security setup

Nod32
    LnS
    Online Armor

I really only want one for the firewall not for the networking(i only have 1 pc on a 10Mbit connection). After a bit of reading on these forums & around the web I have decided on the Netgear fvs114 ProSafe VPN Firewall 8 with 4 Port 10/100 Mbps Switch. Or the Linksys Cable/DSL Firewall Router 4PRT Switch+VPN. What are your views on this, are there any other products i should be considering. Any help or information would be much appreciated

Thx in advance

J

btw Nice forum guys

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Jagon, Welcome to Wilders.

I think in todays market, just about all routers come with an SPI firewall built in. That should be your main concern (SPI firewall), going for the "Well known" models can just cost extra $$ with no extra protection.
    If you have got down to a choice between 2 or 3, then personally, I would go for the cheapest with SPI firewall.

Stem

3. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Jagon!

I recently bought a Buffalo Router (a few months back) and I love it.

It was so easy to set up and Tech support is excellent (based out of Austin, Texas).

Check them out! They have something for everyone.

Good luck!

Rilla927

4. Jagon

Jagon Registered Member

Thx for the replys Stem, Rila. I'll check that out.

J

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Which specific Linksys model?

Do you want wireless?

I would advise against going with the cheapest one...as they are not all created equal. Todays internet connections are getting faster and faster..you state yours is at 10 megs. Getting the cheapest router you can find..means slow CPU and very little RAM. It will be a bottleneck..you'll be amongst the crowd who were cheap, got an el-cheapo router, and then complian that their router slows them down.

In shopping for a router these days..I'd want one that provides at least 30 megs throughput..so that you'll be set for 2-3 years.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

these is a bt voyager 2110 which is quite expensive at £80 but is easy to setup and reliable. it has adsl 2 so it will last a while. or a buffalo one

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

My comment about the "Cheapest" was directed at the choices in the post, but never mind,...

____
    Stem

8. Jagon

Jagon Registered Member

No wired is fine. not sure which model it is tbh

Can you suggest any ? Doesnt have to be that cheap. I could go to say $200ish. spose that is chaeap lol

Again thx for your help

J

9. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

In that case, the Nfiniti Wireless-N Router & Access Point with adapter for Notebook or Desktop will blaze. Especially, online gaming and HiSpeed Multimedia Streaming, Nintendo DS Wi-Fi Connection. Enhanced encryption is offered. Desktop is by ethernet and any notebooks with wireless cards can be set up behind this Router. Believe me, it works like a charm! And you don't have to speak Swaheely to talk to tech support.

I can put my Wireless Media Player/DVD Player by Buffalo behind this Router also.

They offer a two year warranty and you can buy up to three years extended that would start after the original warranty is up, so you would be covered for five years.

It doesn't have a modem built in, but to me that was a trade-off.

I done some research (on the net) before I purchased mine and I found that guys that installed many different types of routers for many years through their company said that the FW was by far the most configurable for any router and I have to agree with them.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless.php

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I love their RV0 series...a bit on the pricier side as the RV0 line is more business oriented..but has great business grade features like built in VPN servers, high availability, high throughput, very stable.

Their wrt54gx4 (srx400) line is fantastic.

The DLink 4000 series is getting well liked also...very fast.

11. Jagon

Jagon Registered Member

Thx for the replys guys. much appreciated

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.