Which Firewall is appropriate for me?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ActionJackson, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ActionJackson

ActionJackson Registered Member

Hello,

I'am looking for a Firewall that provides the following requirements:

Free.

No leak protection, HIPS or other stuff like that.

...but nonetheless good inbound and outbound protection. For example, I like the Jetico Firewall when it comes to that point, but there are a few points that are disturbing (serious system stability issues, not free).

Should be able to easily being switched off and then really be off, not some subprocesses still running in the background.

Vista x64 support if possible.

Any suggestion are greatly appreciated, even if some points maybe don't fit. I am looking for a replacement of the XP/Vista firewall which I find terrible. Yes, I know there are maybe some Firewalls out there that provide all my required features where the HIPS can be turned of but I don't like to do that because the more protection they offer the deeper they're digging into the system, even if you turn those features off.
    So if you know any that I could like, please let me know. Thanks.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

LnS (?)

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Isn't that one expensive ?

4. lucas1985

Yep, it isn't free, but it fulfills most of the OP's requirements (no HIPS, easy on/off, good packet filtering, beta support for x64 IIRC)

5. InVitroVeritas

InVitroVeritas Registered Member

I'd say PC Tools FW+

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I was going to say that, but unfortunately it still does not have x64 support. As it is being actively developed - a strong point - we may soon see this. A decent firewall and worth trying.

Vista firewall?

7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Comodo has those specifications.
    It is free, has a firewall only option, support vista x64.
    The only outbound protection is basic though so only 1 firewall alert per app but it cant detect other apps using other apps connecting.

8. lucas1985

He doesn't want unnecessary hooks/drivers.

9. subset

subset Registered Member

Well, Vista x64 support, there are not too many.
    Besides Comodo and LnS there is the Webroot Firewall (currently free) and Jetico 2 (paid).

Cheers

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Windows built-in firewall provides excellent inbound/outbound protection. I honestly can't see why you wouldn't use it when you have these criterias of yours.

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Well then, Sygate, Kerio 2.1.5, maybe ZA free? Not really Vista x64 compatible, but then, nothing is.
    Mrk

12. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

With XP I always use GhostWall. Vista... I don't use it because GhostWall doesn't work with it :D

13. zorbis

zorbis Registered Member

Why don't you give "vista firewall control" a try?, it works alongside the windows native firewall adding extra outbound protection to it, very easy to use, no HIPS or D+ or other things like that, low on system resources and vista 64 bit compatible. It is available in both a free version and a paid for one (personally i'm trying the free version at the moment and i been happy with it so far), for more information you can visit the sphinx software website:

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/

p.s. if you are going to give it a go i would like to share your experience on this firewall (just p.m. me on here if you don't mind)..Ciao for now.

14. aeonhuang

aeonhuang Registered Member

I think comodo is a good choice!You can install its firewall only and NOT install D+.:rolleyes:

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Removed two posts one of which was a bit inflammatory and the other a response over the top.

Pete

16. ActionJackson

ActionJackson Registered Member

Hi,

thanks for all your suggestions.

first of all I have to say, I still have WinXP 32bit running. I plan to switch to Vista x64 soon, that's why I asked for possible x64 support.

I checked the firewall control from sphinx-soft for WinXP, but it isn't quite for me. But the Vista version could definitely be an option due to better outbound control.

I also checked PCTools FW+ and LooknStop Firewall, both are nice programs, especially LnS. But both of them also seem to offer some intrusion protection.

Comodo is overloaded like hell. Nonetheless I gave it a try and I find the firewall interface pretty nice. I chose the install mode without the HIPS (so called defense+) from the beginning. Which is now a bit confusing, the defense+ menu is still there but you can play around with the switches as you want, it does not matter, seems to be in fact completely inactive. What attracted my attention was the checkbox where you can enable and disable the HIPS because a restart is needed for that, which leads me to think that maybe the unloved HIPS system invasions (or the hooks as some of you called it) are entirely removed by that. What do the experts say?
    Maybe some people find this discussion totally ridiculous but I can tell you, these Firewalls are digging deep deep into the system and have the potential to put your whole system integrity into jeopardy, wouldn't be the first time for me. That's why I am looking for a firewall that has the least system interference possible.

By the way the main reason why I don't like the XP/Vista firewall is that they are not able to give you alerts if an application tries to connect to network.

greetings

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  17. lucas1985

If you have a disk-image app, make an image before testing and install Comodo and an antirootkit tool like RootKit Hook Analyzer. See if the hooks with or without D+ enabled are the same.

18. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Sorry but I don't know of 1 FW which meets all your needs and doesn't make hooks into the system.

It's kind of like asking for your gall blader to be removed without having a surgeon make an incision.

If you want free on xp try PC Tools, OA 2 free, or ZA Free.

If you want free on vista there is the M$ in/out that come with Vista but you will have to study and work to get it optimized. If you MUST have a 3rd party vista FW wait for PC Tools, I think that would be my choice tonight unless OA gets their first. I'm in no rush for vista little or no gain for some pain.

The other free vista I think is ZA but I'm out of date on that company now so go to their web site and look.

19. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Points 2 and 3 conflict (you can't have good outbound protection without some element of leakproofing/process control) but point 1 is likely to be the biggest limitation. Point 4 you can forget about - any modern firewall will include a network driver which stays on your system until uninstalled.

Oddly enough, the almost obsolete Outpost Free would fulfil all your points except the last (no Vista support at all) but I wouldn't recommend it. Ghostwall is another option but doesn't offer application filtering (which post#16 implies is necessary).

I think you may be better served with something like AppDefend or System Safety Monitor (paid) which both offer outbound network control (and other features which can be switched off) alongside Windows firewall (or a router firewall) to filter incoming traffic. However Vista x64 is hostile territory for third-party security software and until MS changes this, ZA Free may be as good as it gets.

20. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Paranoid2000:

FWIW, I think you have hit the nail on the FW head. :cool:

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Have a look at VistaFireWallControl is free and easy and good. Uses Vista FW kernel.

22. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Does that Vista FW kernel also offer complete protection against wireless inbound attacks ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.