Which firewal uses the least system resources?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iken, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iken

iken Registered Member

Yes, a hardware firewall offcourse but I need a firewall for a real old system running windows xp sp2.

It's allready running NOD32 so I'm wondering wich firewall (or firewall/antivirus combo) will not slow this celeron 500 system down. :)

Thanks!

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

The litest I know are:
    Kerio 2.15
    Look 'n Stop

3. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

i tried looknstop and its awesome firewall...you dont notice you have a firewall..now im using kerio 2.1.5...this old firewall is very lighty too..i love it..though its kind of hard to handle.

:D

4. Diver

Diver Guest

Believe it or not, the windows firwall that comes with SP2 is the lightest of them all. But, if you desire outbound application control then it is Kerio 2.15.

5. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Actually Kerio 2x is easy to configure from a different standpoint, the rules are all that it is, not seperate packet filtering options, and applications considered as different parts of the program. Kerio gives me more control than LnS can when restricting applications communications separately. The only downside is it doesn't come with any pre-configured rulesets, but if you don't understand what they do, how do you know if your really secure?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  6. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Hi expert! i guess that question is aiming on me...lol...ok im new to kerio...allways heard it was very good firewall. Finally i install it and it works great. I have load a pre-configured ruleset made by an expert...and i have been very careful with the applications filtering...Then i made a slow scan at dslreports...all ports stealth, but i recognize i have a lot to learn.

:D

7. BlitzenZeus

Most users use it like ZA I'm sorry to say, but they can if they like. They basically use it like ZA in the sense it was a basic application firewall where you just allowed, or blocked applications.

Rule based firewalls do take quite a bit of research on your own to understand how to use correctly, but if you have patience, it will come in time. You also never stop learning unless you are bound by limits of the program your currently using, and there are even ways around those limits sometimes, as I happen to run a closed response configuration, throwing bs stealth out the window for the most part with a inherently stealth firewall. Its all in your configuration, and your understanding of how things are supposed to work. I did quite bit of research on how tcp/ip protocols are supposed to work, which can be like reading greek to many people.

8. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Hi again BlitenZeus! and could you tell me a good site to learn about it. ;)

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

10. Diver

Diver Guest

BlitzenZeus is the resident expert over at:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

Without his sticky posts I would not have been able to configure Kerio. Even so, it is a lot of effort. Sometimes I think the main benefit is in understanding what is going on under the hood of your pc. Kerio is a bit too much for the non technical user, but if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, it is the sports car of firewalls.

11. nameless

nameless Registered Member

How does KPF 2.1.5 do in the various leak tests? I can't seem to find info on this? (KPF 4.1 seems to be terrible in this regard.)

12. BlitzenZeus

Leaktests are BS, almost all of them just exploit IE, or the operating system itself. The basic ones like steve gibsons leaktest are basic, and never pass unless you have no outbound protection, however many of the others still give false positives when they have failed.

Don't worry yourself with these bs leaktests, as said before they are almost all just bs IE, or exploits in the operating system which require sandboxing. Even full blown sandboxing can't prevent something if you have already premitted a programs to work....

13. nameless

From that, I assume that KPF 2.1.5 performs terribly on the various leak tests. Thank you.
    -

14. BlitzenZeus

If you concern youself with leaktests instead of using common sense as a defense, its the user which is the weakest link :cool:

15. nameless

No, I prefer to use both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.