Which do I choose, please?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Rumplestiltskin, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumplestiltskin

Rumplestiltskin Registered Member

Hi all.

When trying to set a scheduled scanning by NOD32 of my computer, I'm given some choices, three of which are 'Context Menu Profile' - 'Control Center Profile' - and 'Control Center Profile - local'.

I've checked with HELP and haven't been able to find what these terms mean.

I don't want to run the in-depth scan every day - I just want to run a quicker 'smart' scan of my computer, that's all.

Which of the above do I enter to do a daily schedule of this quick scan?

Thanks for any help.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi! You choose the one you want to use . There are differences in the settings.

In my opinion it is not necessary with today's antiviruses which have good real-time protections to run "less important" scans just incase .

Simply run the in-depth scan when you want (e.g. once or twice a month) and with correct settings for AMON , IMON you'll be ok :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
  3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Also you can make your own custom made profile to scan memory and important files.
    You don't necessarily have to use the ones that comes with NOD32.

4. Rumplestiltskin

Thanks HiTech and Brian.

I get a Trojan in my system just about every day. So it's not an option for me to run my anti-virus and anti-spyware only twice a month. In fact I would be running these twice a day if I had the time.

I haven't a clue what 'Context Menu Profile' means. Or 'Control Center Profile'. Or 'Control Center Profile - local'.

And frankly, I think it's pretty dumb of NOD32 to have a whole set of terms - the meanings of which are not immediately apparent to those who install this anti-virus software.

Only just yesterday I ran my NOD32 anti-virus and it found nothing. And then out of curiosity I ran my AVG free version anti-virus -- and it immediate found a Win32 virus sitting in one of my files.

Today I'll be dumping NOD32 and reinstalling my ZoneAlarm anti-virus.

Thanks for your interest anyway.

5. Rumplestiltskin

And another thing.

After running NOD32, when it finishes scanning, it makes an alert sound to say it's finished - but WHERE is there a notice telling you the result of the scan?

'Nothing found'.

Or - 'Trojan found and quarantined/deleted'.

But there's absolutely nothing showing to tell you the result.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

At the end of the scan are the results:

Cheers :D

7. Rumplestiltskin

So why don't I get this notice?

What do you click to start scanning?

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, please complete the following:

1. Open the NOD32 Control Center (Down by the clock, or Start> All Programs> Eset> NOD32 Control Center).
    2. Click on NOD32 System Tools in the left hand column and expand it if necessary so you can see “information”.
    3. Click on “Information”.
    4. Click on “Copy to clipboard”.
    5. Paste the contents that you have just copied here.

Cheers :D

9. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

;) some rule-of-thumbs, may i?

Most robust & accurate malware scanners do give you an option (including Nod32) of scanning on 'startup/bootdown'... or either one of them. The default is usually both and you should check if it does. So even if your custom choice is only "on" startup or bootdown, it gave you a layer of security already.

If you want to create your own 'custom' scan settings (this is another layer of sec) aside from universally default setup of Full Scan on most scanners, my personal "must-be" scanning targets were these; a) Documents & Settings folder; b) Common folder at Program Files within the OS default drive c) Temp folder & System32 folder within Windows (98SE 2latest).

Those folders are the generic targets of malwares ever since & it should be scanned at least once a day (mine run every 48hrs);

Do also check if your MBR were scanned (high-rated AVs always includes that). And,

...of course, those posts made by Brian_N and its peers do really count too!

Happy hunting. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.