Which Cloud Are You On ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Too avoid Vendor preferences...State what your likes or dislikes are regarding your Cloud experiences...if you care to name the vendor that's O.K. but i'm merely curious as to Cloud's effectiveness...and if you think the majority of current Vendors...are going too move en masse...and most important Detection and Removal Ratios...and Effectiveness. Sincerely...Securon

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I am going to try hard to not mention which cloud I am on (pay no attention to my signature). Seriously my likes boil down to the lightness on my system, it is supremely light and the effectiveness has been exceptional. I have had two attempted attacks in the past 9 months and the response has been very fast and completely effective. Evidence points to more vendors moving towards the cloud since it is a great tool for them to find out what exploits are out there and really maintain a good database. Plus it broadens their ability to enhance protection for their customers..my two cents, cheers...:cool:

3. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Excuse the pun but "cloud" is such a nefarious term.
    So many different techniques and attributes are called "cloud" by users and vendors.

4. Fad

Fad Registered Member

If PrevX is considered a cloud based product, then that one.

Apart from being so light, I sometimes have to wonder if it`s actually working as I haven`t been compromised in the 11 months I`ve had it paid, a few months prior to that when I had it on review - and even then, I must be lucky, but even the previous years of using free AVs I never seemed to get attacked by anything.

I sometimes have to purposefully throw something at PrevX just to convince myself that it`s actually still there !

So from my limited experience of it`s capabilities, it appears to me to be fully capable & fit for purpose.

5. m0unds

m0unds Guest

just about every modern product has some component "in the cloud"

6. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

For me there are two kinds of clouds..

1. The worthless kind, where the vendors takes all their antivirus definitions and hosts them on central servers and the clients check these servers when a file is scanned (loosely speaking). This is Artemis and most others.

2. The kind that is literally a large knowledge-base of every file in the world and its reputation, collected from 100s of millions of machines, updated in near real-time. This is the Symantec Insight Cloud. and as we have seen through were individual tests of Norton Insight and SONAR 2, it is KICK ASS

Which cloud do you think I am on ?

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Which Cloud Are You On ?

This one -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBSZUzds2c-

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Many vendors have already moved to using cloud technologies either standalone or as part of their existing framework. I'm sure we will see more of this in the next few years.

10. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

Oh yeah!!:cool:

11. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

12. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I had a gripe with Panda awhile back. The free version just left no choice on the end user to choose to quarantine an object or not. Later it incorporated that choice. After that I was having issues turning it off. It was detecting and deleting legit items. Id pause protection or shut the program down and the items would still be detected and deleted as if the program was still running. At this point I dropped it.

13. Turbofylla

Turbofylla Registered Member

I dont know if my AV uses cloud technology. And frankly I dont care. I have not been infected so why should I care about the cloud?

All I know is that the clouds are grey and it is raining.:D

14. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I'm on Subelt's ClearCloud DNS :thumb:

15. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

i m in "insight " cloud by norton :)

16. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Same here,right now it's the best DNS service in malware protection/ip blocking,having said that they're still behind the competition regarding the speed.

17. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

hate the "cloud" idea but i'm on comodo :D

18. xan K

xan K Registered Member

omg, I'm such a noob, but what is "cloud" everybody? I always thought the word had to do with remote computing of some sort, but how is it implemented in computer security? sorry for my uber noobness.

19. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Cloud AVs scan your files through the internet and run the tests on their own server. They also update definitions, not on your computer, but on the remote server.

20. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

for i-mail use IKARUS mymailwall...w*w.mymailwall.at/..You should try this cloud service,service has existed since 2005..over a year use this service and I am very pleased.should try...IKARUS virus.utilities i windows 7 firewall control perfectly functioning.

21. whitedragon551

Have claims to back this up? Its steps behind DynDNS and OpenDNS in terms of everything.

22. m0unds

m0unds Guest

Malware blocking isn't the focus of OpenDNS. ClearCloud's purpose is to resolve names and prevent people from accessing sites distributing malware. There are no parental controls, no other content controls, just blocklists integrated into their resolver. Different classes of product with different focuses.

23. whitedragon551

Still doesnt prove anything. DynDNS has a malware defense strategy with configurable options which include malware, conficker worms, phishing attacks, and spyware.

24. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i wasn't trying to prove anything except that opendns and clearcloud are totally different services with wholly different goals.

also, i didn't mention dyn. i haven't used that particular service because i can't stand their "dns as a commodity" business model.

25. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Of course,here's the proof

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j5qmv.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/33mlyy8.jpg

Edit: I thought you were talking about their lousy speed,No i can't prove their superiority in malware protection BUT in every test i have seen till now they seem to beat all the top players

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.