Which Chromium build? lol

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There's been a long time since I last tried to upgrade Chromium browser.

I don't keep anything on my favorites. I simply search for "chromium build" and then I click on the link that appears in the search engine.

Apparently, the new URL for Chromium builds changed to -http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?path=Win/

According to the info there, the latest build is 96441.

But, a relative of mine, who I got to use Chromium, got a build from here -http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Win/?C=N;O=D

Apparently, that old link still works.

But, the latest available build number differs. The one provided in the second URL is number 96459.

o_O So... which one? o_O Is it really necessary to confuse people? :blink: ... haha

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

3. m00nbl00d

The extension appears to get the file from the "old" o_O link...

If both links are meant to provide the nightly builds, being that one is a new link, and probably will replace the other one, I wonder why the numbers differ... :argh:

-edit-

Here (http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/get-the-code) it's also mentioned the new link, instead of the other one.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

5. m00nbl00d

That's the link from where I always got Chromium builds. But, while searching for the link on the search engine (I never keep favorites for this kind of stuff :D), I found the link I mentioned before http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?path=Win/

According to this (http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/get-the-code), that appears to be the new link where we can download Chromium builds from.

But, if you notice, you'll see the build numbers differ. It's a bit odd... to me, anyway. :D

I ended up downloading from http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?path=Win/

Damn... I really miss the Compact Navigation...Unfortunately, the build I was using had a bug in the way it handles a few things. Minor issues, but that ended up to make me upgrade.

I'll see if I get used to the older UI format. Otherwise, I'll just go back to the build I was using, even with its minor issues. lol

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I allways use the download from softpedia

7. m00nbl00d

Oh... well... I'm going back to the previous build I was running. Obviously, this new build no longer has Compact Navigation.

Now, to see the Bookmarks, when I open a new tab, I need to press CTRL SHIFT B to make it appear, and then press it again to make it disappear.

With Compact Navigation, the bookmarks would automatically appear when opening a new tab. I miss this.

If I keep the bookmarks toolbar enabled all time, it will take a few space from the screen, because I'm using a laptop with a 15" screen.

I just wish they would still keep Compact Navigation, while they work on a better solution.

Oh, well... back to the previous build I go. I'll use this one for as long as I can... and won't bother upgrading Chromium until something like Compact Navigation returns. By then, I might even consider looking at Firefox. I took a look at the Australis builds UIs, after reading an article at Softpedia, and they're quite interesting, and very minimal UIs. The way I like it.

And, I can make Firefox as secure as Chromium, so...

8. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

You can make it as fast too?

9. m00nbl00d

Please, let's not make of this a browser war.

I only mentioned that I would consider using Firefox Australis builds due to its minimal UI.

The reality is I got no idea whether or not these builds are fast or not. But, I never raised that problem/issue/question. When the time comes, I'll test it by myself and see if I like it. I'm the one who has to enjoy using something. ;)

I had no intentions of introducing an off topic, which I believe I haven't. It was just an outburst, if I can call it that. Nothing more. :)

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

11. Hungry Man

You can't make Firefox as secure as Chrome. You might be able to make your entire computer (in the sense of "net security") at a similar level but Firefox will never be as secure, even with Sandboxie and restrictions.

12. m00nbl00d

13. Hungry Man

Strange. Perhaps there's a server issue. Last update was 3 days ago.

14. m00nbl00d

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

None of the links working now. Any help? Thanks

16. m00nbl00d

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.