Which Chrome clone best meets my 4-item wish list?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Mar 6, 2021.

1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@bellgamin
    looks like it was last updated on feb 4. not reliable at all.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Ouch!!! Looking elsewhere.

3. misterman2100

misterman2100 Registered Member

I second Vivaldi. I use it on Linux Mint, Android, and Windows. It has its niggles, but what doesn't?

Having the ability (currently) to use Chrome extensions is a plus as well. You can sync your items using their baked-in sync.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Firefox and Chrome?

5. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Hi,

* Firefox
    * Puffin Secure Browser (Paid)
    * Librefox Tor
    * Forkle
    * sphere_win

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It looks like it is not updated that often, as you can see in the following link. There were only four updates released last year.
    https://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/Comodo-Dragon-Changelog-151834.html
    A few weeks before updating to a new build of Chromium, should not matter much. But, montsh between updates is an issue.

7. bellgamin

2 great Chrome clones: Slimjet & Superbird. Superbird -- No updates since 2019!!! Slimjet -- updated Jan 28, 2021 -- a few days over a month ago. At least Dragon is more current than these 2 golden oldies.

Now trying Kinza 6.8.3 dated Feb. 23, 2021. So far ------------ very very light & speedy.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This looks very good. It is updated very frequently, receiving over 30 updates last year. I just tried this for the first time, and it has the tab handling functionality which I require. I may replace Slimjet with this at some point, because it is updated more frequently, which is a good thing.

Well for now it lacks built in translation of webpages. It can't automatically translate webpages and if you right-click and select Translate to English, it just opens the Google Translate website in a new tab, rather than handling the translation itself. So I'll stick with Slimjet for now.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just giving Kinza a run. It is fast and seems well done, the translation issue Roger mentions would not be a deal breaker for me.
    Like all Chromium browsers going through the settings is a must as so many are turned on by default.

uBlock Origin runs fine in it, and a big plus is I am running it in Shadow Defender while Sandboxied without a problem.
    One of the better ones I have tried. It does say the latest version of Chrome is 88 by the way.

10. imdb

imdb Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/kinza-a-chromium-based-browser-from-japan.414190/

last updated on feb 23.

11. bellgamin

I forgot about the Kinza thread started by @imdb -- 3 pages long and very interesting. In one of imdb's posts in that thread, there was a nicely concise summary of some of Kinza's special capabilities. Here's a quote thereof:
    In that thread I was using Kinza but then switched to Slimjet. However, I eventually dropped Slimjet because it often lagged far behind the latest version of Chromium. So far I have discovered only 2 "frequent update champions" among the Chrome clones: Kinza & Brave. ==>Have I missed any?

By the way, I joined Comodo's forum so that I could ask when the Dragon browser would be updated. When I completed the registration process, I received notice that the forum would send me an activation e-mail "soon." That was 4 days ago & still no word. Also, I could find no way to send the forum moderators an e-mail to ask about getting the problem fixed. ==>Does anyone have a fix for this dilemma?

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I use Brave as my default browser. No issues with it and it is updated often. Most of the other ones do not get updated often, kind of like the Firefox clones. Maybe will give Kinza a shot.

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

not that i know of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.