Which browser is more safe under Panda Titanium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by woobook, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woobook

woobook Registered Member

Usually I surf web with firefox, and pay money with opera, IE only be used in system update.
    But I learnd that IE is more safe, because many secure softwares pay attention on IE more. Is it right?
    If I use Panda Titanium, which is the best choice in your mind.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

there is various software that can make surfing with IE a bit safer, but IE will still suffer from vulnerabilities (which likely number more than firefox and opera combined).

i personally use firefox, not because its "secure", but because i like tabbed browsing and i like the rich functionality of extensions as well as having a theme to match my windowblinds.

id stick to either firefox or opera. either one should work well with ur AV; i cant imagine why not.

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Avant browser uses the IE engine and adds more security and tabbed browsing (plus a whole lot of other stuff),
    It's much lighter than Firefox, the new version of which I find disapointing as it crashes a lot and is way too heavy on resources.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But it's still IE6...

5. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

See Avatar for details ;)

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Fully agreed Opera

7. Trans

Trans Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is true but I think it's impossible
    to be infected by malware using Opera.
    I mean by just visiting a website...:D

This is my experience 2-3 years I'm using this browser.
    I had on purpose visited some that are known to install
    malware without KAV's monitor enabled and nothing happened.
    I scanned afterwards Opera's cache and it found some Trojans
    but ... locked there

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I would think it's irrelevant as to which browser you use, because most of the antivirus products, if they protect your online browsing...protect on the port level, no? So wether using IE, FF, Opera, K-Meleon, etc etc...port 80 is port 80 is port 80....

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If security is important to you, use Opera. At this moment the safest browser until the bad guys put their claws in it.
    Two years back Firefox was the safest one. I told members at SWI that Firefox was safe, because it wasn't an interesting target yet, they almost strangled me. Firefox was untouchable, now it looks like a swiss cheese.

I don't choose a browser for security reasons. Security softwares have to protect my computer, not my browser, that's not the task of a browser.
    I need a browser that meets my wishes and Firefox is and remains #1 for me until I find a better browser.

10. woobook

woobook Registered Member

For example, Spywareblaster protect IE and Firefox, not Opera; as I learned Norton recently releases an anti-phish just for IE, not for opera or firefox. So I am not sure whether the Panda has a same situation.
    But at present I like opera more, because in ie6 the encryption is 128bit, and opera is 256bit or high.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

1- Opera
    2- Firefox
    Thats, enough I think.

12. tansu

tansu Registered Member

See @Slovak's Avatar for details :D

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Maxthon f.e.:)

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't know how long this (Opera being so tough) will last, but it is true, I'm well protected against malware, but since I had Opera as my browser nothing has ever been flagged down by my security apps (real time and on demand).

I'd be even prepared to pay for it, to keep it developing and to remain relatively unknown to the general public.

15. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Really?

I mainly use firefox becuase of the netcraft extension and because of roboform, does opera have anything close to these 2 apps? I will switch fast if I do, I have been getting trojans lately and memory resources have been pretty high as of late with firefox.

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Erik what makes you say FF is like Swiss Cheese?
    I say this: There is nothing out there, nothing currently in the wild, that can break through Firefox out of the box, to say nothing of one impregnated with various little extensions.
    I have yet to be convinced that anyone ever using FF in any of its configurations contracted spyware - in a way that is directly concerned with the browser itself - I'm not talking about downloading crap and executing it and then blaming it on the browser. I'm talking about browsing and then all of a sudden, your desktop changes, new processes show up etc.
    Give me one true example that your claim is true. One.
    I have tested all the exploits that have been recently published and the only thing Firefox did in response to evil thrown at it was . . . nothing.
    Security wise, Firefox is definitely a wise and strong choice. The same goes for some other non-IE browsers. Swiss Cheese? Where and how?
    One working example that breaks through Firefox and I will bow my head in shame and apologize.
    I remember when a guy posted how he contracted Spyaxe or something at spywarewarrior forum. He said he browsed a site and all of sudden got infected. When I asked him about which site, what version of Firefox, how when and where, the post went quiet. He never got into disembling his case. And I never saw a mention of something remotely similar ever again.
    So please, a friendly challenge.
    Find me a working example of how FF is beaten down. If you do find one, btw, by the time you post it here, it will already have been patched by the Mozilla guys.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Mrkvonic,
    Don't tell me, that FF was never compromised.
    http://secunia.com/advisories/19631/
    Put all the holes together of the last two years and you have your swiss cheese.
    As long they close the holes and they usually do, FF will be safe enough.
    Sorry I did hurt your feelings concerning FF. :)

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You did not hurt my feelings.
    But advisories are not compromise!
    Finding a bug and reporting it in order to get patched is one thing.
    Having an exploit running in the wild and knocking down FF is another.
    Like I said, find me ONE working example that brings down FF.
    For instance, you say:
    Go to this site: xxxx.com.
    And then exit that site and you have been hijacked.
    Can you provide such an example?

The number of discovered bugs is a good thing - it means people actively work trying to improve the software - it means it gets patched and improved. FF bugs were usually patched within days. Comparably, just for the sake of argument, IE bugs take weeks and more to get patched, and are usually far more serious.

Put the holes together and their patches - and you get a nice patched browser.

I browsed through the advisories mentioned - none affects the latest version of FF. Now go 5 or 6 versions of IE or Opera back, and see what happens.

So, where is my example?

Furthermore, 99% of sophisticated exploits work on javascript. And accidentally, FF is the most convenient browser to use in conjunction with javascript, due to an extension called Noscript. You browse without javascript by default, you hit a site that needs it, you permit it if you need, one little click of a mouse.

Mrk

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No Netcraft but I think Opera has foem filling option( Wand)- but not sure as I am new ti opera. Also version 9 will offer more.

20. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

No, Opera uses the Wand to fill in login & password for sites.
    It does have some kind of form filling, although it's limited. :doubt:
    Opera 9 also has a new implementation, so you can decide which site to allow Java scripts and other options.
    Just right click on the page and you'll see the tabs from which you can chose. :cool:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/eldarwyn/Wilders/opera9_site_preferences.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.